View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: writing as telepathy.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:30 pm 
born to perform.

I'm reading “On Writing” by Stephen King and something came up. One of those beautiful times that two great passions cross. In the section entitled “What is writing” King answers simply that.. “writing is telepathy.” He goes on to eleaborate that through writing a thought in one persons head can be transferred into the head of another person, of hundreds of people. The details of that thought may vary but the basic premise is their. Also he explains that the thought can travel across time as well as space. We can read the thoughts of people older than Shakespear. Of course it's just a metaphor but it did strike me as something, which could form an interesting presentation. In a presentation based around reading and writing you'd have no trouble justifying the presence of a book for a book test or having things written down. Of course as the mentalist you're showing how with your skills you can take things one step further, cutting out the middle man with direct mind to mind reading. You could also use the thoughts crossing time patter as a basis for some kind of prediction effect. I'll think on it and try and attach specific effects to it but it just struck me as a good idea and I wanted to share.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: writing as telepathy.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:35 pm 
born to perform.

Great idea for presentation. Especially for an impression device. Thanks, I'll probably start using that one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:56 pm 
born to perform.

wow, that was profound!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:58 pm 
born to perform.

nice! Sounds like a good way to present mind reading. That is if your character is supposed to be able to read minds. Unfortunately, mine isn't. But still a good idea if I ever decide to change my character to a mind reader.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:26 am 
born to perform.

well I'm sure with the right spin it could be made to apply to most things, well maybe I'll sick my brain on the idea and see if what I come up with is any good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:43 am 
born to perform.

I just finished reading that book a couple of days ago. I remmeber coming accross that part. Great book and a brilliant writer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm 
born to perform.

Ok I'm digging this topic up as I now have an idea for it. I've not been doing magic for around a year so didn't really do anything with this but as I've been getting back into magic and mentalism the beginings of an idea started to form.

King states that writing is a way for him to transmit a thought into the minds of others. So I'm thinking this should be an affect where the participant recieves some kind of thought from me.

So I'm thinking about showing a brief description to several people and have them draw what they see in their minds based on the description....
then I can look at the differences in the images and maybe throw in some cold reading to imply I can see a lot based onthe image.

So the climax... that actual point of mentalism.... well I'm not entirely sure lol. I'm thinking maybe have someone read the desciption out to reveal it's nothing like the images that have been drawn as though the participants all fell for some mass illusion. Then perhaps a word or a couple of words could be found by reading, say the first letter of each line. I could talk about reading between the lines etc.

Then there's the idea of a message being sent through time he presents. That one I'm not sure about yet.