View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Storytelling Magic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:49 am 
born to perform.

So maybe you are interested in storytelling magic but you're not sure how to get started. First off, you have to decide if you want to do an original story or if you want to do an old classic.

We have been wanting to do an old classic for quite some time, a favorite book of my daughter's. That made it pretty easy for us to do some "general" brainstorming-- coming up with a few ideas to start with. Only, you have to remember that a starting pointing is only that--- a START. After that it will be changed a multitude of times as you develop your story and work with your props as you find out what works and what doesn't.

The first thing you need to do is write or read your story unless you have already done so. As you read through your story find out what the key elements are, what appeals to you, and jot those down in a notebook. Next think about what "magic" you have that can easily translate into that story. What magic will help you tell that story?

You also have to decide whether or not you want to be part of the story, or narrate it. Are you going to dress in character or be an outside observer?

After you have all these main components thought up you have to make your story cohesive so that it is a nice blend from start to finish-- it is after all a STORY. It has to flow. You also have to tell that story well with your voice. You have to engage your audience and capture them. Prior to ever picking up your magic to practice---- you first need to practice your voice, the highs and lows, in order to hold the attention of your audience.

When you have fully mastered your story then start practicing with your magic and making it blend.

Create a mental picture in your mind of telling your story on a theatre stage. What is the lighting like? The music? What is going to enhance your performance?

For example, we are creating a stage show. Imagine a darkened theatre, curtains closed, the audience is quiet in anticipation, a soundtrack starts with a short introductory clip, the curtains open, a lone figure stands in the darkness while a spotlight slowly locks onto the character who's bent head slowly raises, and when the character finally focuses on the audience, it smiles, and says, "curiouser & curiouser", at which time the full musical scale comes on and the show begins.

Right there, in that moment, you should already have your audience.

Storytelling magic is one of my favorites. It has the power to capture the audience whether it is in a big theatre, or during a child's birthday party. Who doesn't like being engaged by a compelling story? Remember the movie The Big Fish, same principal. We all want to believe--- combine storytelling and magic and a whole new world opens up.

So what do you want to do? Is there a pirate at your next children's party? Perhaps an old favorite fairytale. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination. Explore your early childhood and find what connects YOU to it--- and you will most assuredly find that some child will out there will have a similar connection.

Happy creating!

~ Kristen

Post subject: Re: Storytelling Magic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:01 am 
Penguin

Absolutely Astounding! Kristen at her best as she gives compelling advice that will allow magicians of all sorts to grow and reach their true potential. I believe this is a wonderful type of magic because I myself use it hand in hand with one of magic's oldest tricks. I tell the classical story of the "three little pigs" along with my rendition of Cups & Balls. I cast myself as the evil and cunning big bad wolf as I huff and puff and eat them all up! (Vanishing them in this case) I then reveal a plot twist where the third pig is a magician and he ends up turning the big bad wolf (muah) into a fruitarian. (Ends with me revealing my final load, a cute witty laugh with a nice pun)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:14 am 
born to perform.

Good post, but personally I think it should have been under the essay's section. Small essay to Kids storytelling magic :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:44 am 

It works in either place. It seems to pertain more to kid show magic so it can stay here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:13 pm 
Penguin

Tenyo makes a nice pinochio effect that can be used as you read the book.