View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which moves do you find the hardest?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:11 pm 
born to perform.

For the longest time I loathed the Erdnase change. I first learned it from Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform Card Magic DVD and could never get it right. After watching Richard Sanders Identity DVD I began to actually master the move. After adding a sleight (haha get it!) variation to his teaching I am finally able to do the change.

What about you guys?

Post subject: Re: Which moves do you find the hardest?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:34 pm 

Bottom Deal. Been working on it for years, just can't manage to get any of the variations down.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:34 pm 
born to perform.

Bottom deals are pretty hard, but since I'm a mentalist and don't really need to do those, I find the Jones Change pretty difficult... I'm pretty good at it now, but still not 100%... I'd say more like 98% down.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:56 pm 
born to perform.

bucky310 wrote:
Bottom deals are pretty hard, but since I'm a mentalist and don't really need to do those, I find the Jones Change pretty difficult... I'm pretty good at it now, but still not 100%... I'd say more like 98% down.

Concur. The first couple phases are easy, it's getting the change that's the hard part.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:49 pm 
Penguin

center deal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:04 pm 
Penguin

These are the sleights I have been having the most trouble with: Bottom side steal - Rear Palm - Bottom Deal - Butterfly Cut - Moth Cut - Farro Shuffle - Clip Shift

Last edited by Rozzerdog on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:15 pm 
Penguin

Rozzerdog, it's cool that you're practicing the rear palm, it's a seldom used but very very useful palm. You'll get there if you just keep practicing

I pick up most sleights pretty well and easily that I try, but for the life of me I just can't master The Ambitious Riser that Kosby uses in Raise Rise. It's killing me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 pm 
born to perform.

This one is hard for me to say. Some are obviously difficult. You either get it right or you drop the card(s) on the floor. One hand popover, Diving-board double, (I assume the clipshift though I haven't worked on that one yet). Never the less I got both of those down in about a month. What kills me are those moves in which the basics are easy but mastering is a much bigger challenge. The kind of move that you can add to your repertoire rather quickly so long as a little misdirection is used. Classic pass, side steal are two of those that I continue to work and perform yet would avoid using with a spectator who burns my hand. Most recently I have been having the worst time with culls. My right hand pulls too much and my left pushes too little. Don't know why that is so difficult for me but it is... :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:48 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Le Paul Spread
But its just because I dont practice it enough. I just try it ever now and again, maybe once I find a reason to get it down I will.

But when it comes to the moves I use on a showly basis, I have those down. I dont use anything I dont have down very well. I dont use very many moves though. I just dont have a need for them. I can still accomplish quite a bit with the moves I use, so until I need a specific move for a new effect I dont bother with "outsiders."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:38 pm 
Penguin

_Jupiter_ wrote:
Rozzerdog, it's cool that you're practicing the rear palm, it's a seldom used but very very useful palm. You'll get there if you just keep practicing

I pick up most sleights pretty well and easily that I try, but for the life of me I just can't master The Ambitious Riser that Kosby uses in Raise Rise. It's killing me

Yeah, the rear palm has been something I've been wanting to perform for awhile ever since I saw Alex Elmsley's perform some really amazing card effects from his Tahoe Session's DVD set. He makes it look so simple! But then again, after you've been performing magic as long as he had, any type of card sleight would look simple :lol:

I also took a look at the Raise Rise effect by Ray Kosby and I really, really liked how visual it was, so I might just have to try and obtain a copy so I can learn it as well. I'm sure that once we both put in the dedicated time and effort for each of those sleights, it will be very rewarding once we're able to do them as if they were second nature :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:04 pm 
Penguin

Im have a lot of understanding so I dont find any moves hard at all.
I am the best at what I do so there is no way someone can come up with something that would give me trouble.
But learning the perfect riffle shuffle was kinda hard at first.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:08 pm 
born to perform.

BrianationX wrote:
Im have a lot of understanding so I dont find any moves hard at all.
I am the best at what I do so there is no way someone can come up with something that would give me trouble.
But learning the perfect riffle shuffle was kinda hard at first.

You are telling me that you can do every move 100% perfect 100% of the time. If thats the case you should get out of magic and immediately submit yourself to scientific testing because there is no humanly way possible that you are always perfect. :lol:

I apologize for sounding like an a$$ but your comment really served no purpose to the conversation at hand. I wanted to know what moves you have a hard time doing not that you do everything right

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:31 am 

BX, you should post some videos so that we can revel in how awesome you are. If you don't, we simply know that you're lying. Since you've challenged people to "battles" and I've offered to take you up on them, with no response whatsoever, I'm going to throw one out now. Show us a video of you stating the date the video was filmed and showing off your amazing card sleights. Show us anything. I'll respond then, but until we get the video we ALL HAVE to believe that you're a liar.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:33 am 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
BX, you should post some videos so that we can revel in how awesome you are. If you don't, we simply know that you're lying. Since you've challenged people to "battles" and I've offered to take you up on them, with no response whatsoever, I'm going to throw one out now. Show us a video of you stating the date the video was filmed and showing off your amazing card sleights. Show us anything. I'll respond then, but until we get the video we ALL HAVE to believe that you're a liar.

this

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:43 am 

You want in on it, too? Cool. That's two "battles". As soon as we get those videos Zenn and I will both respond with our own videos. Zenn, don't know if you have a camera, but you've got plenty of time. There's no way he can live up to his own hype, so he won't be posting a video.

By the way, I want the date mentioned as proof that it's a video of you and not a clip of another guy, such as Tudor, doing the moves that you found while sitting in mom's basement trying to decide how you're going to annoy others on that day. It needs to be a real video of you performing something. In fact, it doesn't even need an audience. I wouldn't dare ask you to attempt to entertain someone. We know your thoughts on that.