View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How many shows do you have?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:53 pm 
Penguin

As the topic states. How many shows do you have?
Now this may not be beneficial to the "weekend warrior" just doing birthdays and having one show which they occasionally change pieces of.

I am a full time children's entertainer and I have 7 different shows with very few repeat routines. Each show has a unique theme including many seasonal shows. I have added one this year to get to 7 and I will probably be adding at least one in 2011 for a total of 8 or 9.
How many unique shows do you have?

Post subject: Re: How many shows do you have?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:17 pm 
born to perform.

I think it really depends on want you want as a magician Glamour. If you like having different shows and benefit from them, that is awesome. At the same time sometimes just having one very good, strong routine is enough.

For example, comedic magician Dana Daniels. I can't tell you how many times I have seen his routine--- he does the same one--- and each time I enjoy it as much as the first time I saw it. There is a reason he has won the Magic Castle's Best Magician award more than once (I believe more than once!).

Our daughter pretty much has one routine that we are continually improving upon. Although, for a while now we have been working on an idea for a new show. Not because there is anything wrong with her old one, she is just obsessed with the idea of the new one. Lord knows we aren't the type to rush into something so it has been a long process, however we are just now starting to formulate all our ideas into a concrete plan. My hubby is going to start building the illusions soon and we are going to start working on the actual routining. Some of it will definitely include some old tricks with new patter, and some illusions will be brand new. However, the whole concept will be different.

I think really it is just what you are comfortable with. Obviously, having so many routines works well for you and you can offer your clients different options. I can see where that would benefit you in the children's business. Although, I would strongly encourage the youth performers who are starting out to concentrate on just one really good show to start off with and later they can grow from there after they have had more experience.

All the best,

~ Kristen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I have three unique shows, each of which is easily customizable, so they allow lines and effects to be switched easily. I have a close-up show, a parlor/stage show, and a street show. The shows are actually quite similar, but with minor variations. For instance, I have some close-up effects that don't work on stage and some stage effects that don't work for close up.

I keep my street show in my car at all times as I can easily use it for either close-up or stage, so I have a show with me at all times. Personally, I don't see much need to have many different shows, as it begins to become too much to remember and have ready.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:57 pm 
Penguin

Hi kristen, it is all well in good to have a perfected show and everyone should strive to do this. My birthday show is done much more than the others.
Since this is the children's section I don't see how anyone can make a living with one show unless you are propping it up with something else ie. Restaurant work or an adult act.

I believe you are comparing apples and oranges when you compare a children's performer with a comedy performer. There is a reason why an accomplished comedy performer can do the same act and that is due to the fact they travel around the country if not the world performing for primarily different audiences. Probably 90% if not more of children's performers do not have the same luxury.

The main reason to have multiple shows is so the same audience can see you many times in the same year. If you come back a couple months later and do the same show you will not be invited back for some time and i'm not talking birthdays here.
I will give an example from my own business. Two groups in the last year have had me for every single program I offer. This has put much more money in my pocket than having a solitary show.

Anyone else have multiple shows?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:14 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
Obviously, having so many routines works well for you and you can offer your clients different options. I can see where that would benefit you in the children's business. Although, I would strongly encourage the youth performers who are starting out to concentrate on just one really good show to start off with and later they can grow from there after they have had more experience.

Glamour,

I wasn't trying to compare apples to oranges, just making a statement in general about how it isn't always necessary to have a lot of shows. I made this statement because most of the people who read this section are kids striking out for the first time.

I realize the two types of venues are different, which is why I was sure to make the statement shown above. The reason I said what I said about limiting the number of shows is because I would rather the younger performers here on the boards master one good show than have several questionable ones. I was in no way making a negative comment about someone having multiples shows, which I think is shown by my statement, "Obviously, having so many routines works well for you and you can offer your clients different options. I can see where that would benefit you in the children's business."

I hope that better explains my post.

~ Kristen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:18 pm 
Penguin

Why does every post on here have to be dumbed down to a beginner though?

There is a reason why in my original post I said that it probably wouldn't apply to the "weekend warriors". The question was directed at the working pros out there that actually make their living from magic. By seeing what the working pros do to make a living it could only help those that want to take the next step.

I will give a well known example. Ken Scott (those that don't know him better do your research) and many others create a unique reading program for libraries every year. There are many others that have multiple themes for schools as well.

So again I ask how many unique shows do you offer?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:26 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I think Kristenl had some very good points. Personally, I have one show for kids. However, I can use the show over and over again as all I have to do is switch in and out effects. For instance, if I do the linking rings one, I will switch to the linking ropes. Same sort of effect, but it is different.

My shows are flexible, but at the same time quite rigid. However, I don't have multiple shows for the same group. Every so often I will completely redo the show, but still, I stick to one show.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:23 am 
Team Penguin

I have 3 kids shows, and 2 adult shows.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:42 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
Why does every post on here have to be dumbed down to a beginner though?

To answer your question, I don't really see it as "dumbing down" but trying to help the youth. I truly believe in helping children pursue their passion for magic. Many youth performers visit this section, and no offense kids, but they tend to think Children's magic is easy when the opposite is true. I know a lot of the youths do not belong or do not have Assemblys or Rings available to them. For them, they come to learn. If they were to go to another forum (i.e. the Cafe) they would have a much more difficult time. [Nothing against the Cafe, I am a member and think the forum is a great source of information and place to network with other magicians-- but face it, you'd better have some thick skin at times.]

So what it all boils down to is that I will always be looking out for our younger members. It is who I am. I am a mom. I will try to give practical advice to the kids. I will try to share the info we have learned in our own family through our experiences with our daughter's growth in magic.

My posts are never to take away from the adult magicians here on the boards, but let's face it, they have many more resources available to them on the net than do the kids.

~ Kristen :D

Updated==> P.S. Hey Kyle, I haven't seen you around in a while. Good to see your name pop up on the boards. How have you been? Hope things are going well for you! :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:57 pm 
Team Penguin

kristenl wrote:
P.S. Hey Kyle, I haven't seen you around in a while. Good to see your name pop up on the boards. How have you been? Hope things are going well for you! :D

I know, I've been covered up with managing magic & band bookings and promotions. Also been really busy with college... Not to mention working on my taxes for everything in order to have them prepared and ready to be payed. I realized I haven't been on in a while and popped in briefly today...had a lot to say but was feeling lazy and didn't type it all out (hence the one sentence reply to the thread). Things are going pretty good...just busy...hands in too many pots at the moment!

Hope all is well for you and your family also!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 pm 
Penguin

I have 3. The 3 are:

- Kids
- General (more for older audiences -teens/adults)
- Mentalism

I'm working on completing 3 new shows in each category. I have been working on them for over 2 years now but the time will be well worth it once I begin presenting them.