View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: which method is better?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:39 am 
Penguin

Ellusionist has control and Penguin has wounded, each dvd has a technique to stop your pulse, which is better?

Post subject: Re: which method is better?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:54 am 
Penguin

willis2783 wrote:
Ellusionist has control and Penguin has wounded, each dvd has a technique to stop your pulse, which is better?

I don't have either DVD, but I'm guessing control because thats its maine focus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:28 am 
born to perform.

Your post can be taken way out of context to make it sounds almost funny :D

Control is impromtu and not to shabby if you can do it well :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:33 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I don't know if I would say either is better. Personally, I've been using a very old method for the same effect. I have used this method since I started doing magic. I find it to be something that I can depend on.

Control is a nice method, but I'm not too enthused about it. You may want to check out Luke Jermay's Skullduggery video. He has a method as well, and it's impromptu. I also believe he mentions the method that I use as well (which has been the more common method). But you also get some other wonderful effects. If you can't find that video, you can also search for a book that contains the effect For Andruzzi (I apologize, but I have forgotten which manuscript it was in, possibly 7 Deceptions). I believe that would be a much better source.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:24 pm 
Penguin

Fortunately, I own both.

The method in 'Control' is impromptu and pretty easy to get down. Although, this will take time to get down, but on a performance aspect...you really have to sell it to the audience.

The pulse stop in 'Wounded' is the known, old method, but with a slight adjustment that makes it a lot more practical, if you will. Although, the material in 'Wounded' is also very, very powerful, so you can't go wrong. Plus, combining the pulse stop with 'Tears of Blood', you can make people question their religion.

I find both, 'Control' and 'Wounded', easy, practical, and impromptu.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:14 pm 
born to perform.

Does this old way you speak of actually stop your pulse?
I'm look for a trick that can actually fool people who know exactly how to check someone's pulse.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:27 pm 
Penguin

daniel116 wrote:
Does this old way you speak of actually stop your pulse?
I'm look for a trick that can actually fool people who know exactly how to check someone's pulse.

In 'Wounded', YES; you do really stop your pulse.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:42 pm 
Penguin

I own the Control effect by Wayne Houchin, which then after about 2 months or so they came out with Control 2.0. Luckily I got in touch with Theory 11 and they gave me the extra information that went into the 2.0 version for free. I found the Johnson Justification to be a very valuable bit of insight on how to incorporate someone in the performance who knows how to correctly take a pulse, which has increased the overall performance and makes it just a little bit more believable.

Since I do not own the Wounded effect I cannot make any comments or comparisons, but after reading some of the comments so far and watching the demo video, I might just purchase it sometime in the future. But ever since learning the Johnson Justification to utilize with Control, it really has increased the reactions I get when I perform the effect. Of course showmanship is also a major key factor when performing any version of an effect that slows down and then stops your pulse. I just really wish I owned the Wounded effect so I can make a more solid comparison between the two effects, so maybe I should stop here and then elaborate once I own both. That way I could then try using Control with one group of spectators, move on, and then trying using the method taught on Wounded. After doing that for a couple nights to really get the feel for which of the two gets the better reaction, or to see just how different the reactions would be.

In closing, I would like to share how I went about building up the suspense and tension when attempting an effect that has literally freaked people out, and some times it gave me reactions I was hoping for. While other times, it seemed like it was just too much for some to handle, and what I mean by that, is the fact that I've performed Control with a female spectator, or have had some female spectators in the audience, and I could feel the unsettling sensations throughout the whole room, when they feel your heart beat get slower and slower and then stop.

They honestly believed that I had control over my heart rate and some even whispered to me that I shouldn't do such things cause they feel I could, one day, make it stop and never start beating again. So from those types of reactions I learned to be much more aware of who I decide to perform this for, because even though when I am performing at either private events or other more public performances. The few women that I thought if I performed the effect for, would enjoy it ended up being truly freaked out. Which you would think would be a good thing, but sometimes it can prove to be just the opposite. And this is also because I used the Johnson Justification that I learned from the extra performance tips that are on the Control 2.0 version.

Anyways, that is just my opinion on the matter of pulse stopping effects.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:55 am 
born to perform.

I just want to fool the doctors and paramedics I work with.
What version would you advice me to get?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:17 pm 
Emperor Penguin

daniel116 wrote:

Good luck with that. They are (as you know) trained professionals. They know about ways to "stop" ones pulse and know plenty of other places to check.
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:27 pm 
Penguin

daniel116 wrote:

That is the most commonly asked question about stopping your pulse effects, and I still do not know why people continually want to use it to fool doctors, nurses or paramedics. What kind of reactions are you looking for specifically? It's almost similar to some other questions I've read about which is commonly about card effects or any other magic effect that usually goes like, "What card trick should I buy that will fool Magicians?". I suppose there must be some magic performers out there that only perform effects just for magicians and not the general public, which is what I thought most magicians strive for when they learn magic, and that is to perform for a general audience of spectators who want to see a magician perform for entertainment.

I have seen two performances on a TV magic special where Luke Jeremy performed a pulse stop effect for either a nurse in training or a fully licensed nurse, I cannot remember which. Then the other one, which I will have to go search for again because I cannot remember the performers name, but he had two nurses taking his pulse from each wrist. They would then start to ring a bell for each pulse, and after a certain amount of time the pulse would vary in each wrist, unfortunately I cannot remember how it ended, so once I find the video again, I'll post some more information here about them.

Sorry Daniel116, but I can't think of any pulse stopping effect that you could perform on a medically trained doctor, nurse or paramedic. Maybe someone here might be able to point you in the right direction, or you'll have to do some serious searching through Google or other search engines.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:34 pm 
born to perform.

I'm not one of those guy who desperately want to fool magicians.
The reason I want to fool the doctors is because I work with doctors and paramedics every day and I can tell them that I found a way to stop the blood from flowing to my arm thus creating a natural tourniquet that I can use if I'm injured.
I want to see the look on the doctor's face when he will see that he can't feel my pulse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:54 pm 
Penguin

daniel116 wrote:
I'm not one of those guy who desperately want to fool magicians.
The reason I want to fool the doctors is because I work with doctors and paramedics every day and I can tell them that I found a way to stop the blood from flowing to my arm thus creating a natural tourniquet that I can use if I'm injured.
I want to see the look on the doctor's face when he will see that he can't feel my pulse

I wasn't trying to directly say that you specifically would be the type of Magician just looking to fool other Magicians. I've just seen and read countless threads of other Magicians who's sole purpose while practicing Magic, was to make that one of their main goals as a practicing magician.

Also, if you tried this on the doctors and paramedics that you know and are in contact on a general basis, just might check other ways to find your pulse other than on your wrist. It's quite possibly you might be able to fool them for a minute or two minute, but then they might think that what you're doing is not safe and damage to your heart. Then proceed to check your pulse either on neck, or use one of those things that clips to your finger (sorry, but I have no idea what they're called) and check your pulse in various other ways.

Although, that is all just speculation on my part and i really haven't the slightest clue as to how they would react. But from my own personal experience, just after using the Johnson Justification method since I noticed there was a medically trained nurse in the audience. She actually pulled me aside after my performance and told me what I was doing was extremely dangerous and I should never attempt the effect again in the future. At least I can say with 100% confidence that it can really fool them bad into thinking what you're doing is real.

If you do decide to try it on a doctor/paramedic it would be great if you could post the reactions you received here on the forums, and let others know what sort of reactions you were able to achieve. Good luck :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:17 pm 
Penguin

Wayne performed control for me at a convention in 2008. As an EMT, I was not fooled. I don't know when the 2.0 came out if he used the additions on me or not. Some Dr.s may be fooled, usually the nurse does the pulse checking.

I can't speak for the other method

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:58 pm 
born to perform.

gMagicScott wrote:
Wayne performed control for me at a convention in 2008. As an EMT, I was not fooled. I don't know when the 2.0 came out if he used the additions on me or not. Some Dr.s may be fooled, usually the nurse does the pulse checking.

I can't speak for the other method

I also doubt that any nurses or EMTs who had been fooled by the move would bother posting such on an open forum.