View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Alice in Wonderland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:43 pm 
born to perform.

Our daughter loves literature, which is probably why she likes storytelling magic. A few years ago she fell in love with Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. She has read both the normal version and the annotated copy. Since that time we have planned to put together a new stage show and new children's show based on the book. We have scribbled notes, thought of ideas, and brainstormed. After all that time we are finally in the process of putting it together.

On one hand we are disappointed that the new Alice in Wonderland movie will be debuting the same year as her new magic show that we have spent so long planning because it seems trite and unoriginal, but on the business side of things, market timing is perfect. We had no idea a new movie was going to be released when we first started planning this project.

My husband is currently in the process of building her new illusions for the stage show. He has started building: Through the Looking Glass (walkthrough mirror), Mad Hatter's Hat (gimmicked hat & table-- pics on the Cafe), is building a stage version of The Queen of Hearts (mismade Queen) and we already have the Rabbit's House (dollhouse).

DD and I have come up with the tricks for the children's show and have written the first draft. We are trying a new concept for her as far as the "storytelling". Usually she memorizes the script 100%. This time, she really wants to promote reading and will be "reading" portions of her show out of the book. The premise is she is reading never-before-told-stories of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The stories coincide with the magic she does.

I am really interested in seeing how the new platform works out. Of course we won't know until we have endless rehearsal run-throughs and the ultimate test will be when she does the show for the first time. I am sure it will be re-written several times for adjustments--- aren't they always?!!

The tricks in the show are simple:

The Rabbit Hole - custom Alice and White Rabbit silks disappear down a rabbit hole.

The Caterpillars - The Caterpillar's nephews seem to squabble a lot about their size so Alice makes them all the same, of course they don't like that so she has to put them back.

Chesire Madness - Brightly colored Chesire Cat pieces are removed off the board until one remains, which matches the Chesire Cat an adult has been holding since before the show in a sealed envelope.

The Mad Hatter's Tea Party - Alice forgot to bring the cake so she must make one on the spot!

The Queen of Hearts - Alice decides to teach the Queen some manners and see how she likes it when someone says, "Off with HER head".

If it is a child's birthday - Birthday Card Banner with a custom birthday card for child to keep.

I wanted to share because I wanted the younger members to see how you can create your own unique plots when routining your shows. Also, how you can have one theme from start to finish whether you are doing storytelling or not. Make your show fluid so there is always a segway from one illusion to the next.

The most important thing--- always make your magic unique and original to YOU. Let your magic reflect who YOU are!

Good luck everyone.

~ Kristen :D

Post subject: Re: Alice in Wonderland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 pm 
born to perform.

I LOVE the idea and would really like to see some video of this once you guys have it all worked out!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:32 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks Zen, I'm really excited to see the end result myself as this has been a project we have been working on for quite some time. If the premise works well imagine the possibilities! The idea should work well for either library shows or private party events.

Of course my daughter and I are also really excited about seeing the props my husband comes up with too! In the meantime, I need to start working on the custom silks and the Chesire Board.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:09 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah I love how you tied it all together and didn't do any cliche effects (appearing/disappearing rabbit "down the rabbit hole" type of thing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:01 pm 
Team Penguin

Kristen,

there is a prop and trick that involves a teapot...you might like to hunt it for the tea party...could be of use!

Also, there is a "Crown Jewel" Item available that could be used in a routine that involves the queen...or you could just do some visual effect with a queen of hearts playing card...maybe a jumbo torn and restored card (off with her head)

If she's not afraid of mice, she could make a small white mouse appear for Tea Party (doormouse) BONUS POINTS FOR ANIMAL PRODUCTION!

If you wanted to use the "Looking Glass" reference, you could track down one of Wolf Magic's "shattered" effects...it uses the paddle move principal for a "mirror" that has been cracked...and you restore it ....it handles just like a large hot rod

idk...these are just some things that popped in my head...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:02 pm 
born to perform.

KyletheGreat

I just got a thought about your looking glass paddle trick, Produce small objects from the other side of the paddle useing slight of hand.

Zambini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:25 pm 
born to perform.

Kyle,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will definitely have to look into the teapot one. I haven't heard of it before and I am always interested in out-of-the-norm illusions. So far, for the children's party routine pretty much everything is simple and basic magic illusions.

Love the ideas!

Thank you,

Kristen :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:47 pm 
Team Penguin

http://www.themagicteacher.com/articles/257/1/The-Handy-Dandy-Teapot/Page1.html

there's a link to the effect and how you can make one as opposed to buying it.

http://www.thetrickery.com/full/Magic-Tricks-Magic-Shop-Collectible-Magic-Street-Magic-1-Magic-Tea-Kettle__5919.htm

and there's a link to the prop itself...though it's unavailable from that dealer, you can read a description and then if you like it and want to purchase instead of making it, you can search other dealers...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:23 am 
born to perform.

Kyle, thanks for going to such an effort on our behalf to post this! This would work really well for the children's party!! It will also go along perfectly with the production of the sponge cake--- you know, the one that Alice was supposed to bring to the party, but the Cheshire cat forgot to tell her about. Luckily, Alice is a smart girl and was able to produce one "on the spot".

Thanks for your ideas Kyle. If we can ever be of any help please just don't hesitate to ask!

Wishing you all the best,

Kristen

P.S. I opened my email this morning and found a note from Bob. Have you seen him lately? I talked to him last around Christmas. I'm going to write him in just a moment to catch up. Thanks to him, our daughter has some great news. I'll let you know about it soon. I know how much YOU will appreciate it. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:58 am 
Team Penguin

kristenl wrote:
Kyle, thanks for going to such an effort on our behalf to post this! This would work really well for the children's party!! It will also go along perfectly with the production of the sponge cake--- you know, the one that Alice was supposed to bring to the party, but the Cheshire cat forgot to tell her about. Luckily, Alice is a smart girl and was able to produce one "on the spot".

Thanks for your ideas Kyle. If we can ever be of any help please just don't hesitate to ask!

Wishing you all the best,

Kristen

P.S. I opened my email this morning and found a note from Bob. Have you seen him lately? I talked to him last around Christmas. I'm going to write him in just a moment to catch up. Thanks to him, our daughter has some great news. I'll let you know about it soon. I know how much YOU will appreciate it. :wink:

No problem! I do 20 second brainstorms sometimes...things just pop in the head!

I haven't seen Bob lately, but we have been swapping some messages back in forth over the past week. We hadn't talked in a while and he hasn't seen me in the cafe...I think he thought I was dead....He's a great guy. Please do let me know what's going on!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:44 pm 
born to perform.

Kyle,

The instructions sound very simple. I'm going out to Ross today to see if I can't find a quaint English teapot that would work for 'Wonderland' and will make the gimmick. Hopefully I can find a little ensemble with a matching tea tray, although I will have to find clear tea cups.

I thought about just buying it, but this way I can get the look I want. Plus, let's face it, we make a lot of our own illusions so that we can customize them to Danielle. Though, I have got the greatest friend who owns a magic shop in our area that is awesome about hunting down those hard-to-find items for me. He is my total go-to-guy when it comes to buying magic. He just hunted down for me an out-of-production MisMade Queen that I wanted. Dan is going to alter the outside portion and make a wood version on a pedestal for the stage show and I want a small wood version for the birthday show. Yes, I keep that man busy! LOL

I will let you know on the 1st our big news. (smile, that was your second hint-- the first one was the fact that YOU in particular would appreciate it) You're a smart guy. I bet you'll figure it out. It has been killing me not to tell any of our friends about this at the Assembly or all my online friends, although I did let it slip to two friends, but then I re-applied the duct tape. I want it to be a surprise to all of the wonderful people who have mentored her and supported her through the years. I actually didn't go to our last Assembly meeting because I didn't know how much longer I could go without telling them. But, you know what a proud mama I am when it comes to my baby girl, I have a really hard time keeping my mouth shut! LOL Seriously, though, it was something that meant a great deal to us and was a huge honor for D. I can't wait to share the news!

Oh, and here is a link on the project he has going for the Mad Hatter's Hat. (helps when I actuall DO put in the link: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... orum=26&14) The pictures he has so far are just of the foam core which he shall cover with fiberglass then remove. This is a new medium for him so hopefully it turns out well. He is a wizard when it comes to wood, his grandpa was a custom cabinet maker, so let's hope that fiberglass works just as well. He is still deciding on the type of gimmick he will create. He is deciding between counter weights or a motor.

The walk-thru-mirror frame has been built, but he needs to re-adjust it for D's sizing just a bit. He just needs to purchase the mirror portion and then sand/paint/decorate.

For the stage show Mismade Queen I have already scanned and enlarged the Queen and had those printed in a 12 x 18" size. They just need to be "cut" and have the wood frames built.

We obviously already have the dollhouse for the show.

So as you can see we are well on our way with the stage show! The story line for the children's show is all done. I have printed it out and it is ready to go into the vintage-looking book of Alice in Wonderland that I purchased. So once those final last little pieces arrive that I purchased we can begin rehearsal! I am so excited! A lot of time, planning, and effort has gone into it all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:04 pm 
born to perform.

Here is an piece that I just finished re-making yesterday. I was waiting for the chipboard to come in so I could finish cutting out the backing for the Cheshire Cat pieces.

This is a prediction magic bit that is recycled from her last show that I have re-made to fit the theme of Alice in Wonderland show.

The board is a pretty good size and sits on an easel. We do a lot of name branding on her illusions. You want your guests to see your name and remember it. Although, don't try and name brand everything otherwise that just gets too busy and distracting. For example, at a children's party she will have this piece name branded, along with a poster that is on the front of her Lefler table. The poster on the front of her table is a good height for the kids sitting on the floor and the easel is at a good height for those adults standing in the back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:15 pm 

If you want to add a close up element, try David Regal's "My Best Friend"

It's a Chop Cup routine using a mouse instead of a ball. In your case the cup is a teapot or teacup and the mouse is of course the doormouse.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:13 pm 
born to perform.

That is another cute idea Dave! Our family met David back in Jan '08 at an event hosted by Paul Gross. David is a really nice man and our family enjoyed visiting with him and watching him promote his different illusions. He had me laughing-- a lot. Although, I doubt he would remember us as there were so many people there that day. I have a photo around somewhere....

We are going to have the opportunity to meet Michael Ammar soon. We are really looking forward to that and attending his brand new lecture. It should be good! We are also going to see lecture Lee Alex. We are really interested in the Quick-Change lecture as that is something that really interests us all for Danielle's routine.

Again, thanks for the cute idea.

Kyle, I went out yesterday and found a nice ceramic teapot. Not exactly the styling I wanted, but better than the typical metal kettle. I just need to find a cylinder now for the interior that will fit. The only problem is the kettle is taller with a narrower opening at the top. It was cheap, so if it doesn't work at least I can use it as a guide until I find something more appropriate to fit the "Wonderland" theme. I really wanted some kind of nice English-style teapot. I'm going to start searching on Ebay to see if I can come up with a better look.

~ Kristen :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:30 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
If you want to add a close up element, try David Regal's "My Best Friend"

It's a Chop Cup routine using a mouse instead of a ball. In your case the cup is a teapot or teacup and the mouse is of course the doormouse.

That was brilliant! I love David Regal =D