View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Entertaining and Entertainment
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:11 am 
born to perform.

The difference between entertaining and entertainment if you didn’t already know there is a HUGE divergence. Entertainment I personally think is any kind of art for or performance. While on the other hand entertaining is interacting with your audience to amuse them and evoke an emotion from them.

Although it may or may not seem like it but this difference is what is able to compliment your magic and create a professional and to move further away from the hobbyist. While professionals try to add entertainment value to their routines and performances, hobbyists tend to be “Trick-o-holics”. They have what’s the next trick to “master” mentality. Even in my whole time of magic I don’t think I will ever master something as simple as a DL.

This is the essence of entertainment combining humor and comedy to a flawless routine. This will create a routine that is entertaining but so direct and stunning at the same time. If you aren’t the best magician you can compliment that with entertainment and comedy. A great example is Bill Malone. Although he is an incredible close up magician he uses HIS persona and comedy to compliment his act and by doing so he is now of the best close up magicians in the world today.

This is what being a professional is about, buying or creating material that will compliment and further add value to your act. To try and ever be increasing the standard of your performances and getting sleights and routines down smooth and crisp. It’s like the old magician saying “A beginner practices a trick until he can get it right. While a professional practices a trick until he can’t get it wrong”

Think about it logically, I have seen magicians who are far better than me especially in sleight of hand aspect, but some of them have to be truthful a very boring persona. They treat a trick as a just a trick and not as piece of art and entertainment. If you seriously look at your current routines and effects whilst they may be first rate effects do they entertain the audience? That is what the key to being a professional is the audience. If my audience doesn’t react to my new tricks which I love I have to put them on the chopping block or change the routine around.

If you love your magic the way it is but your audience doesn’t then it just doesn’t cut it sorry to tell you. I personally have come across many tricks which I have loved from the minute I saw them but an audience doesn’t react to it so I have to cut it from my act. Becoming a professional shifts your focus from what you want to now having to know what the audience or customer wants. If you don’t please your customer then you won’t a good reputation or repeat bookings.

Books I recommend in this subject would be:
“Maximum Entertainment by Ken Webber
“When We Are Not Amused!” essay by Tommy Wonder (In volume #2 in his “Books of Wonder”)
“The Experience of Magic” by Eugene Burger

By Anthony Di Mauro,
Sydney, Australia.

Post subject: Re: Entertaining and Entertainment
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 am 
born to perform.

Didn't know you were going to post this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:49 am 
born to perform.

KrisDeagle wrote:
Didn't know you were going to post this.

Meh, I looked at it and thought never done an essay so I though I'd share my opinion. I hope everyone likes it though. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:13 am 
born to perform.

I like your take on the difference between entertaining and entertainment.

Good post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:21 am 
born to perform.

Gimpdiggity wrote:
I like your take on the difference between entertaining and entertainment.

Good post.

Thank you.