View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ambitious card for 7 year olds?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:14 am 
born to perform.

Do you think if I devised a very slow, easy to follow, multi phase ACR that 7 year olds would be amused and hopefully even fascinated?

I am doing my first kids show and trying to put together a number of tricks that I think will rock their boat so to speak.

So do you think that would work?

Hope all is well with all,

Ari

Post subject: Re: Ambitious card for 7 year olds?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:02 pm 
Penguin

afelbs wrote:
Do you think if I devised a very slow, easy to follow, multi phase ACR that 7 year olds would be amused and hopefully even fascinated?

I am doing my first kids show and trying to put together a number of tricks that I think will rock their boat so to speak.

So do you think that would work?

Hope all is well with all,

Ari
There are mixed feelings around here on the topic of performing card tricks for kids. I have a couple of card tricks for kids that I perform with sometimes, the ACR is not one of them. However, some do use the ACR.

I would recommend you check out the following thread that deals with this very nature and a post or two mentions the ACR.

viewtopic.php?=10013&t=153209

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:20 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for your time and the link Sneak!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:38 pm 
born to perform.

What you may want to do is use a blank deck, then draw a stick figure on one card and have the kids "name" him (or her)

~Zenn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:20 pm 
born to perform.

That's brilliant, Zenn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:30 pm 
born to perform.

Adammcd wrote:
That's brilliant, Zenn

Thanks =D I just came up with it lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:19 pm 
Penguin

I believe Zenn's method would be the "best" practical approach to a child, especially with the use of cards. Most children entertainers see using cards with a slight hint of disdain. The reason why is because children are use to seeing action-packed cartoons, or they have heard stories full of magic and wonder. That everyday exposure to those stimuli sends their imaginations sky rocketing into the heavens. So obviously, when they see a deck of ordinary playing cards, with numbers and standard shapes, they register it as, well boring. That is considering if they are able to actually memorize their number or suit correctly.

I am certainly not trying to put down the ACR in general, but for that age group, I find it rather unpractical. But, if you must insist, then you will have to put the extra effort into making it unique and interesting enough to catch the attention-span of the youngsters these days.

I will admit, before I got deeper into magic, I use to believe that I could use cards to entertain anyone. It was a huge slap in the face to say the least, when I tried, and kids just gave me a blank stare or would walk away disappointed.

So, I just wanted to give you the technical perspective of using cards to entertain children. I am not trying to put you down, or telling you that you shouldn't, I am rather suggesting that it isn't the best idea if you get my drift. I hope you take my comment into account, and understand the extra effort you certainly will have to use to make an "ordinary deck of playing cards" into an instrument of magic and wonders for children who are use to seeing such things everyday. I wish you the best, and certainly with all the magic in the world.

Sincerely,

Luc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:02 am 

I'm with Zenn. You have to give them a reason to care. If they write their name, they have more of a reason to care. If they draw a picture and put their name, they will pay attention for a bit longer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 am 
born to perform.

Agreed, if I do (which I probably wont) an ACR I will use a blank deck and let the kids decorate the card if you will before the routine.

Thanks, hope all is well

Ari

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:01 am 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
I'm with Zenn. You have to give them a reason to care. If they write their name, they have more of a reason to care. If they draw a picture and put their name, they will pay attention for a bit longer.

I was just watching David Regal's ACR and it gave me another idea... In that one you are calling the puppy... in the one I came up with, since you named the stick figure, you could easily have the card be "shy" and the kids call "can *insert name here* come out to play?" It would get them all involved and you could have a lot of fun with it.