View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Silky Part of Magic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:43 pm 
Penguin

I was on a current hiatus from performing after I got into a car accident a few weeks ago. I am fully recovered now, but that's another story. What I would like to talk about is what I was experimenting with when I would lay or sit in bed, bored out of mind. If you had read the title, this concerns the use of silk magic, and what I was able to come up with, due to the massive amount of time I had on my hands. Imagination plays a great role in a magician's life, and this just happen to be a very interesting spark of imagination. I would also like to credit Kristen for giving me the idea in the first place, so thank you very much :D.

Anyways, to get to the point, I first skimmed through Penguin's Online Catalog, and purchased 3 silks, and 1 silk streamer. The silks in question had different designs, the 1st one was that of a white rabbit jumping out of a hat. The 2nd one was another rabbit, but it had a banner that said "Happy Birthday!" which I found would work greatly with birthday shows. The 3rd silk was by Goshman, which had a decorative "The End" which would lend a unique part ending my silk routine. Also, the silk streamer was a rainbow streamer, which I believe was 36" long, (I'm not sure) but this I figured would be re-usable, instead of constantly refilling mouth coils.

Now, to get on with the show, I am going to describe how I thought of combining certain silks to create a marvelous entertaining routine, that would actively incite wonders and allow several volunteers to take part in the magic.

First of all, I would like to start off with the rabbit silk. I thought about how magicians are paired with the cliche of "pulling a rabbit out of the hat". Well I thought to play to the strengths in a rather creative way, by first asking for a volunteer, to draw a top hat. Then, I would produce a silk from the 2-D picture, which would show the rabbit. Then I would say "I'm guessing the rabbit had to get that thin to fit into a top hat like that." After the production, I would then make the rabbit vanish by reusing the top hat picture, and then ask for an applause for the assistant.

(If this is a birthday show, I would then combine it with the Birthday silk)
Now, that the rabbit is gone, I would try to create a story saying "Hmm... I wonder where he's gone? Maybe he went to go get something." I would say, and ask for another volunteer to the stage, (usually the birthday child) and then say "Maybe we can convince him to come out and show us what he went to grab, by using this magic wand!" (I would present the ever so hilarious break-away-wand, actually I would have two break-away wands to add to the effect) After the uproar of laughter (hopefully) I would then use the top hat to produce the "Happy Birthday" silk, which would make the child happy, and incite another amazing wonder. From this point, I would then make the birthday rabbit disappear, and thank both children for being amazing volunteers.

(The End Silk)
I would then say, "I think the rabbit is tired from jumping out of this hat over and over again, maybe we should tell him he can rest now" and then further elaborate by saying how since he's a performer, he'll only know when to stop when he hears the word "The End". At this point I would get all the children to say it, and then say "Maybe he's too deep in his rabbit hole to hear, I think you should say it slightly louder!" and continue until I get the appropriate interaction level, or until the adults get annoyed. I would then take the top hat and use it for the last time by producing the "The End" silk. At this point, the audience should be astounded because of the production of three completely different images from a 2-D hat that was drawn on the spot. The picture of the hat then serves as a wonderful souvenir for the volunteer that drew it and then I would continue on with the show.

(Alternatively) I would use "The End" silk to end my show as a whole, which would probably link to how the beginning of how my show usually starts, which is with a simple silk production.

This is what I was able to think of, and how I will work out the kinks to work this new routine into my show. I find it highly interactive and fun to perform, and its visual and funny to the audience. Thanks for taking the time to read one of my spark of imagination, and hopefully it'll inspire the magic in you!

Sincerely,

Luc

Post subject: Re: The Silky Part of Magic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:57 am 
born to perform.

Luc,

I love the originality of use from silks and how you wish to produce them from a 2D drawn picture. Kudos to you! That is what I like about you-- you think outside the box and are willing to try things in a different manner from the typical way in which things are used. I love that you work hard. It sounds like you put good use to the time you were laid up.

I'm glad you have made a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself and don't stress yourself too hard until you are back to being 100%.

Good luck!

~ Kristen :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:13 pm 

Luc, there is a married couple in my Ring that does a complete 45 minute act with nothing but silks. It is beautiful to see and they allways get a standing O! Break a leg

Paddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:03 pm 
Penguin

Thank you very much Kristen! xD I do try, and of course I (sadly) will not immediately jump back to work. Also, I read your post about how to create silks, and I am looking forward to create a few of my own shortly. Paddy, I would one day like to see such a show if possible, because I honestly do view silk magic as one of the most purest and simplest forms of magic, involving conjuring, vanishing, and even transformation. I thank you both for your input on my spark of inspiration, and I hope I get to perfecting it soon so I can record and display it to you both. Lastly, the "break your leg" pun came across to me as pretty hilarious simply because my legs were out of commission to say the least for the past few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:42 pm 
Penguin

Luc,

This is a most interesting topic for me since I was originally going to put a large silk effect in my show but as I continued to work on the routine, I've been recently (and very seriously) pondering upon the idea of routining a whole show with nothing but silks, well, I will use a few 'devices' to get to the desired results, but it'll all be silk related (Paddy mentioned above of somebody he knows that also has a show of nothing but silks).

The whole idea is to start with one silk and through several individual effects (as if this single silk is going through a world of craziness such as transformatiions, color changes, etc...), I end up with that one silk at the end. There can be alternate endings with that one silk which would depend on the type of show I'm performing.

What I've written above is in simple words, it's still a show I'm working on and now hope to present in the future as it's own show rather than a rotuine inside of another show. This would give me two shows to be ready to present as I currently have another one titled games that I'm just finishing off.

Congrats on your idea and your recovery.