View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First strolling experince....
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:09 am 
born to perform.

The story of my first strolling experience....

I showed up about an hour before the guests did. I introduced myself to most of the people working the tables (it was a gambling party, they brought in all of the gambling games and set them up in a gymnasium). I also talked to the photographers who told me they would give me all of the pictures they took of me that night for free later on.

At 730 or so people started to show up. I was getting butterflies, but I knew I was prepared. I was strolling around (hence the term "strolling magic" i guess) and saying hello to people as they came into the gambling area. I would introduce myself as the magician.

Now, some people when I told them I was the magician wanted to see something right away and asked for magic. Others, seemed interested but did not ask, so I would offer to show them a trick and that went smoothly.

Most people had fun with me as I did with them in a good way. Some people for a reason I do not understand looked at me like I was a challenge for them to mess up (not many tho). For instance Talking about the night being about gambling I pulled out my "powerball 60" and did my routine. Now maybe she didn't separate the cards right but I told her her number and she said I was wrong, but not many incidences like that.

I got some exposure which was good. I gave out cards to about 12-15 different groups of people. Most said they wanted to hire me for some type of party/gathering, etc.. I hope they do! but time will tell on that one.

I realized that it is quite important to introduce yourself to the other people working at the event with you. For instance aside from the dealers I befriended one of the bartenders. Nevertheless, everytime I needed water he hooked me up right away with no wait time.

When it comes to the tricks, well I did a total of about 5 card tricks (2CM, biddle, triumph variation, a mentalism effect with cards, and a 3 person selection). I did 5+1 transpo, prof nightmare, powerball 60 a couple times, flurry to jumbo coin, and of course the one that got people wanting me to do their future parties the invisible deck. Oh and card to pocket or mouth for the ladies whom I wanted to flirt with :)

I am sharing this experience because it was a great one and I hope to motivate YOU to try to get out their and do the same.

You wont regret it, I feel like a real magician and entertainer....!!

Ari

Post subject: Re: First strolling experince....
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:15 am 
born to perform.

Oh, I also did sponge balls quite a bit and D.G's Tricycle trick which went over well and was effective at utilizing 2 people for a trick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:27 am 
born to perform.

Sounds like it went well,

although you really should come up with a nice rope routine to compliment professors nightmare will smoothen it over much nicer (I recommend David Stones variation in his 1st Real Secrets of Magic DVD).

Other than that your right, with the getting to know people at the event. Try to befriend people then they can help you if you have any issues and generally photographers, dj's, etc have alot of respect for other entertainers.

Good work, keep it up :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:20 am 
born to perform.

My rope routine is basically prof. nightmare, but in between the ropes becoming the same size and going back I do moves from "fiber optics". I am still working on the "ends" sliding down the rope and me catching it and having the rope become 1 full rope again. But I do the 2 ropes to 1 and cutting with fake scissors, etc, the ends change as well.