View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Giving Old Card's New Life Tips?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:14 am 
born to perform.

So I'm a bit bummed because my favorite deck of cards (Karnival Assassins) have started to clump together in fans and spreads. Since this is my favorite deck of cards to use, I have put it through its paces. Are there any tips on what I can do to make them fan better and such? I was thinking of getting some fanning powder (or something like that) but I wasn't sure if that would make a difference.

I saw a card press on here a few days ago that keeps your cards crisp and new, do you think that my current deck is a loss cause and I should just invest in the press/new cards or is there hope yet?

Any tips that you have on keeping cards feeling like knew would be appreciated!

~Zenn

Post subject: Re: Giving Old Card's New Life Tips?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:32 pm 
Penguin

I used to wipe each card clean with a slightly damp cloth, make sure they are dry, and then apply fanning powder. Try this with another old deck first because depending on what you use the deck for you may not like the feel of the fanning powder.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:46 pm 
Penguin

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
So I'm a bit bummed because my favorite deck of cards (Karnival Assassins) have started to clump together in fans and spreads. Since this is my favorite deck of cards to use, I have put it through its paces. Are there any tips on what I can do to make them fan better and such? I was thinking of getting some fanning powder (or something like that) but I wasn't sure if that would make a difference.

I saw a card press on here a few days ago that keeps your cards crisp and new, do you think that my current deck is a loss cause and I should just invest in the press/new cards or is there hope yet?

~Zenn

There is no magical cure /remedy for overused cards :( ...invest in a new deck.

Best regadz,
Olmagi52 :wink: :D 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:22 pm 
born to perform.

I've used a deck of blue bikes for practice for over a year. Somehow they still spread absolutely fine! They're aren't very pretty, but they're great to practice with.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:50 pm 
born to perform.

Olmagi52 wrote:
Zenn_Darkfire wrote:

~Zenn

There is no magical cure /remedy for overused cards :( ...invest in a new deck.

Best regadz,
Olmagi52 :wink: :D 8)

Guess I'll have to... I'm gunna make sure these stay nice and crisp!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:13 pm 
born to perform.

I found that just leaving a pack of cards in a closed area (such as a closet or drawer) and not touching them for a long while (couple o' months) restores their life.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 pm 
born to perform.

Leave them alone for a bit and they should recover slightly. In conjunction with a card clip is even better. I assume a card press would be even better but I have never used.

Your biggest problem Zenn is the "why" your cards are faltering. In your case it is the fan. A fan usually deteriorates due to dirt(cards falling on the floor, the natural oils in your hands, ect.)and humidity. Humidity will recover with a bit of rest but not the dirt. So unless you are using a deck that can be "washed" what little recovery you get will likely go away quickly.

To reinforce what olmagi said you need to start thinking of your cards as an expendable resource. Also, if you have a deck you like a lot and costs a lot of money, shop around for a cheaper brand that handles very similarly. Practice with the cheap, perform with the fancy. A good example are the E-decks. Some of them go for between 5-7 dollars but the "Masters" edition red/blue decks use the same stock and finish and sell for half the price. Also a standard Bicycle deck handles very similarly (slightly looser stock) and sells for 1/4 the price.

Might I suggest the Aladdin 1001s for someone living in Florida? They should hold up better in a humid environment. I personally don't much care for the back design but They would probably work good for your environment. They also come with 4 jokers all with the same design. This comes in handy with a few tricks I know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:22 am 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Leave them alone for a bit and they should recover slightly. In conjunction with a card clip is even better. I assume a card press would be even better but I have never used.

Your biggest problem Zenn is the "why" your cards are faltering. In your case it is the fan. A fan usually deteriorates due to dirt(cards falling on the floor, the natural oils in your hands, ect.)and humidity. Humidity will recover with a bit of rest but not the dirt. So unless you are using a deck that can be "washed" what little recovery you get will likely go away quickly.

To reinforce what olmagi said you need to start thinking of your cards as an expendable resource. Also, if you have a deck you like a lot and costs a lot of money, shop around for a cheaper brand that handles very similarly. Practice with the cheap, perform with the fancy. A good example are the E-decks. Some of them go for between 5-7 dollars but the "Masters" edition red/blue decks use the same stock and finish and sell for half the price. Also a standard Bicycle deck handles very similarly (slightly looser stock) and sells for 1/4 the price.

Might I suggest the Aladdin 1001s for someone living in Florida? They should hold up better in a humid environment. I personally don't much care for the back design but They would probably work good for your environment. They also come with 4 jokers all with the same design. This comes in handy with a few tricks I know.

Thanks eostresh, yeah I got a card clip for these for that reason. I normally only use Bikes but when I saw this deck I had to had it and as a result used it a lot... I think what I'll do is purchase another one (I got it fairly cheap) and take better care of it. Thanks about the tip for the Aladdin 1001s... I'll def look into those.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:30 pm 
born to perform.

Decks of cards are like making coffee in a finjan (small metal coffee pot): you take it off the fire just a second before it boils over.
Meaning, you stop using the deck just before it gets old, then when you use it again after about a month it will feel new again.
I've been doing that for about two years now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:48 pm 
born to perform.

daniel116 wrote:
Decks of cards are like making coffee in a finjan (small metal coffee pot): you take it off the fire just a second before it boils over.
Meaning, you stop using the deck just before it gets old, then when you use it again after about a month it will feel new again.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:51 pm 
born to perform.

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
daniel116 wrote:

Thanks!

Yes. If you have the dicipline for that give them a rest and they should last a good long time. I know a lot of folks cycle between decks every week or so. Rest them while they are in their prime.