View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Starting to Work on a Kids Show Routine...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:43 am 
born to perform.

Thanks!!! I think I have the final version of the opening sequence completely done now. I came up with another quick effect that I can add in that works really well, and only takes a few seconds. Should be pretty cool. I need to find a change bag that will change an object that's about 6 inches by 4 inches by 2 inches. I can't find dimensions for them on Penguin, so I posted in General Magic hoping that someone can let me know if a standard change bag would work for something that size.

I also placed an order for all of the effects that are in stock right now that I need to go with the routine. There were a couple that were out of stock still and I'll have to wait on those. No big deal, as I don't have any dates that I want to have this done. I just want to get the routine ironed out before trying to set anything up.

I always do Priority Shipping, so hopefully the stuff will be here by Wednesday. Once I get the order, the VERY opening part of the act (before any of the patter starts) can start to be rehearsed.

I can't wait!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:38 pm 
born to perform.

Alright, I finished the script for one of the effects in the routine tonight.

I may have to edit it down just a tad, because it seems kind of bloated and lengthy right now. Of course, I haven't really had the time to memorize it, so once I have it memorized it will probably go quite a bit quicker than it seems, so I might not have to edit it down much at all.

I had a TON of fun writing this portion of the routine. It's for a magic coloring book and some vanishing crayons that I have. I think it puts my own spin onto the old routine that is fun and funny. It also gets a volunteer involved in the act, which I think is a plus...if it's a birthday party it would always be the birthday boy or girl.

I'm pretty satisfied with the two sections that I have scripted so far. It seems like it's a TON of stuff to remember. I'm definitely going to have to rehearse it for a good long while before I'm ready to perform it!!!

The project is coming along nicely, though, and I'm having a lot of fun going through it. Even if I never end up performing it, this has been a great learning experience that I'm glad I took on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:17 pm 
born to perform.

My puppet will be shipping out the first week of May. That gives me plenty of time to keep working on the script before I have to start actually working with the puppet.

I should have most of the required effects, except for the Vanishing Bandanna, by Wednesday. That way I can start practicing the workings of the effects really well, too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:58 pm 
born to perform.

Got my first order of stuff for the routine today.

The vanishing cane is quite a bit more difficult than I thought it would be!!! I figured it'd be something that was incredibly easy to work, but it takes some practice.

I need to order some silks to go with the canes...I thought I had some laying around but I'll be darned if I can find them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:49 pm 
born to perform.

I'll be ordering my silks in the next couple of days.

They have one of the effects that I need in stock now, and it's been out of stock for a little bit, so I think I should jump on it while I know it's available.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:14 pm 
born to perform.

Silks and the effect for the finale (Vanishing Bandana) were just ordered. I still need to get my card fountain, but that's the only thing left that I NEED for the entire routine.

I have a couple of other ideas floating around that could be added, but I'll wait until the entire thing is done before deciding to add them or not. I don't want to end up with something that is too long.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:06 am 
born to perform.

Keep up the good work. Allways start out big and finsh big. The Vanishing Bandana can be a great endding, but I like to use mine somewhere just after I open then I bring back the banana later in my show all mashed up in a diff devil's hanky.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:25 am 
born to perform.

aces_up_41 wrote:
Keep up the good work. Allways start out big and finsh big. The Vanishing Bandana can be a great endding, but I like to use mine somewhere just after I open then I bring back the banana later in my show all mashed up in a diff devil's hanky.

Thanks aces.

I hit a bit of a snag with my scripting when I had the issue with the Vanishing Bandana trick.

Now that I've gotten that taken care of, however, I'm back on track.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:39 pm 
Penguin

Gimpdiggity wrote:

The vanishing cane is quite a bit more difficult than I thought it would be!!! I figured it'd be something that was incredibly easy to work, but it takes some practice.

I need to order some silks to go with the canes...I thought I had some laying around but I'll be darned if I can find them.
The vanishing cane is actually quite easy... after you work with it for a couple of minutes. I remember I thought the same as you did when I got mine yet by the third or fourth time of resetting it with the silks, it was a piece of cake. How are you finding it now since the post I'm quoting of yours is a couple of weeks old?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:22 pm 
born to perform.

sneak wrote:
Gimpdiggity wrote:

The vanishing cane is actually quite easy... after you work with it for a couple of minutes. I remember I thought the same as you did when I got mine yet by the third or fourth time of resetting it with the silks, it was a piece of cake. How are you finding it now since the post I'm quoting of yours is a couple of weeks old?

With the silks, the effect is much easier. They slow it down just enough to make cathing it simple.

Without silks, it's definitely more difficult.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:08 am 
born to perform.

I'm continuing to work on this routine.

I've had a few setbacks...mainly the fact that I didn't get to buy the final couple of effects because I ended up having to buy a new computer because mine died.

That sent me into a bit of a financial nightmare for a couple of weeks, but I'm back on track now and back to working on the routine.