View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ambitious card
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:13 am 
Penguin

Hi

For just a few days ago I decided to master the ambitious card. And then I really mean practice until I can do it in sleep ( I know you can always get better but you know what I mean..). So.. I think I will buy Daryl´s ambitious card dvd but first I wanna hear what you reccomend. I´m also thinking about mystery box II by John Kennedy as a finisher, and since I´m working with red cards I wonder if the card in it comes in random color or what? So please post a comment.

Thanks / Karl

Post subject: Re: Ambitious card
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:20 am 
Penguin

If you are thinking of making your own routine, I would suggest Darl's ACR. He also covers a very nice climax, but it's really, and I mean really, a pain to make. Along with his FISM winning (I think) routine, he also goes over many other moves that you can use.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:13 am 

I think you can choose what card color is in the box. The one I saw was Red Bicycle. Unless you insist on showing the box empty right after "dumping" out the card, you can get by much cheaper with other methods. The heat shouldn't really be on the box anyway. They should be looking at the card. Just take this opportunity to casually put the box away as they're opening the folded card.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:19 am 
Penguin

Thanks for your replies, I mailed penguin and they said you can put your own card in the box. I´m gonna buy Daryl´s dvd to. Thanks again!

/ Karl

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:56 pm 
born to perform.

I just checked out that Mystery box and just thought I would mention...I think you will have just as much luck with a Lippincott box. If you hunt around you should be able to find one for between 30 and 50 bucks. Have yet to find one on penguin(except for Joe Porper's $200.00 steel version) but that doesn't mean they don't carry it. Their search engine doesn't seem to be 100% yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:48 am 
Penguin

Thanks but I dont Think thats the thing for me (if it works like a ringbox), cause I will have the box on the table the entire ACR to ceep the suspense up, then let them lift the lid and I drop out their card.. Thank you anyways! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:46 pm 
born to perform.

swenguin wrote:
Thanks but I dont Think thats the thing for me (if it works like a ringbox), cause I will have the box on the table the entire ACR to ceep the suspense up, then let them lift the lid and I drop out their card.. Thank you anyways! :)

Okay...I'm assuming you know the method for the mystery box and prefer that. Personally I'd prefer a good ring box. With practice you can load pretty quick and most spectators won't even remember you came near the box.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 pm 

On the other hand, if he knows the method of the Mystery Box, he should also know it doesn't work the way he described. The performer has to show the card in the box, no it's not examinable beforehand, and the performer then dumps the "card" into his hand (with some sleight of hand) as he lets the Mystery Box do what it's famous for which is to hide the gaff in plain sight so the box can be (casually) shown empty afterward.

In other words:
The Mystery box is preloaded with a fake
The performer handles the box at all times
Yes, they can lift the lid but you do all the rest of the work
The dummy card in the box is *not* the actual chosen card
The card has to be dumped into the performer's hand, not the spectator's
The box can be shown to be empty and can withstand some light examination

This last point is the strongest selling point for magicians who like overpriced mechanical gadgets, but is also the worst reason to buy the box. The heat should never be on the box in the first place. Flash the insides as empty and PUT IT AWAY.

I can do all the above (except for showing the container empty, but it's really not a big deal as the attention is on the card) with just about any ungaffed box that will hold a folded card.

BTW, a Lippencott box uses a totally different method. It's usually a locked box, you can show it's empty before locking it, or just bring it out already closed and tell them there's something in there (when there really isn't). You then have to have some choreographed justification for handling the box after the item (usually a ring, but if a folded card fits it works too) is vanished to allow you to insert the item into the "locked" box. After that, they can unlock the box themselves and remove the contents themselves.

Eostresh is right that it can be loaded fairly quickly, and if done right they shouldn't remember you coming near the box. In reality you probably hand it to them to open which is all the time you need to do the dirty work.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:39 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
On the other hand, if he knows the method of the Mystery Box, he should also know it doesn't work the way he described. The performer has to show the card in the box, no it's not examinable beforehand, and the performer then dumps the "card" into his hand (with some sleight of hand) as he lets the Mystery Box do what it's famous for which is to hide the gaff in plain sight so the box can be (casually) shown empty afterward.

In other words:
The Mystery box is preloaded with a fake
The performer handles the box at all times
Yes, they can lift the lid but you do all the rest of the work
The dummy card in the box is *not* the actual chosen card
The card has to be dumped into the performer's hand, not the spectator's
The box can be shown to be empty and can withstand some light examination

This last point is the strongest selling point for magicians who like overpriced mechanical gadgets, but is also the worst reason to buy the box. The heat should never be on the box in the first place. Flash the insides as empty and PUT IT AWAY.

I can do all the above (except for showing the container empty, but it's really not a big deal as the attention is on the card) with just about any ungaffed box that will hold a folded card.

BTW, a Lippencott box uses a totally different method. It's usually a locked box, you can show it's empty before locking it, or just bring it out already closed and tell them there's something in there (when there really isn't). You then have to have some choreographed justification for handling the box after the item (usually a ring, but if a folded card fits it works too) is vanished to allow you to insert the item into the "locked" box. After that, they can unlock the box themselves and remove the contents themselves.

That's kinda' where I was headed with with my comments. I think it is a bit pricey for what you get and I think there are several Ring boxes(lippincott style) that can be purchased much cheaper and are a bit more versatile.