View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Riffle Cull
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:56 am 
Penguin

Hi, how can I do something like Steve did here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbY9VA1riEM at 0:55, when the guy names the four of a kind (9's) and steve brings them to the top, right after a few shuffles and cuts, I don't need that exact method, just a way that I can find cards in the middle, just like that. Where can I learn that.

And btw, I don't know if that is a cull I think a cull is looking through the cards, and bringing the desired cards to the top, is it? And what exactly is that called?

Thank You!!!!

Post subject: Re: Riffle Cull
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:49 am 
born to perform.

That could have been done with a stacked deck as well? Not really sure. If you are interested in culling check out either the Roadrunner Cull DVD or the Cullfather DVD.

I was most impressed with the pass!

BTW What ever happened with that arrest back in 2008? Is he like...in "the joint?"

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:01 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
That could have been done with a stacked deck as well? Not really sure. If you are interested in culling check out either the Roadrunner Cull DVD or the Cullfather DVD.
That's true, I'm not intersted in culling, but in culling while shuffling, is there anywhere that I can learn that, that you know of.

eostresh wrote:
BTW What ever happened with that arrest back in 2008? Is he like...in "the joint?"
Which one? Haha.

And one random question, while practicing, should I practice with Bicycle cards, or with like these types of cards (completely not plastic) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8SjvVpVEi4 and btw, this is where I learned the second deal from the other question, :P.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:15 pm 
born to perform.

The guy in that last video is referring to the boarders on the back not what the card is made of. Use whatever cards you want. You need to buy, or download, Expert at the Card Table by SW Erdnase. It is like the bible of all card magic and if your primary interest is in gambling tricks then it is still one of the best resources for that.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:28 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
The guy in that last video is referring to the boarders on the back not what the card is made of. Use whatever cards you want.
Thank you, that is not what I meant, I meant what cards should I pratise* with, in general, every move, the first cards used in the video (not plastic) or Bicycle cards, because I will want to do tricks with other people's cards, and not everyone's cards are the same, so which cards will be easier to do with other cards, after I practise.

eostresh wrote:
You need to buy, or download, Expert at the Card Table by SW Erdnase. It is like the bible of all card magic and if your primary interest is in gambling tricks then it is still one of the best resources for that..
I was thinking of buying Allan Ackerman's, or Wesley James' DVD, any ideas on which one is better?

Thank You!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:32 pm 
Penguin

Sorry for my bad explanation, it's because when I used to practise it tricks/moves with a plastic deck from the dollar store, it was hard to do the same tricks/moves with a non-plastic deck.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:54 pm 
born to perform.

I see what you are saying. If you live in the US practice with Bikes. The most common decks you will find will be bikes and other common cards, like Bee's and Tally-hos, perform fairly similar to Bikes. If you live in Europe you will likely need to practice with many different brands since they have more varieties and those varieties have more distinctive handling characteristics than most USPCC brands. If you live in Asia you should use the bikes but also practice with both the "cheap" plastic cards and the high quality plastic cards because both are quite common over here.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:59 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
I see what you are saying. If you live in the US practice with Bikes. The most common decks you will find will be bikes and other common cards, like Bee's and Tally-hos, perform fairly similar to Bikes. If you live in Europe you will likely need to practice with many different brands since they have more varieties and those varieties have more distinctive handling characteristics than most USPCC brands. If you live in Asia you should use the bikes but also practice with both the "cheap" plastic cards and the high quality plastic cards because both are quite common over here.
Thank you, I live in Canada, should I practice with Bikes, like the US?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:59 pm 
born to perform.

Asdff1818 wrote:
I was thinking of buying Allan Ackerman's, or Wesley James' DVD, any ideas on which one is better?

Thank You!!!!

I don't have Wesley James but I am a real fan of Ackerman. His teaching is a bit dry but it is top quality stuff. How many of the basics have you already gone through? Ie. Royal Road to Card Magic or Erdnase? I just ask because you don't necessarily want to get into harder stuff until you have a good foundation in the basics.

and yes...Bikes are probably a good bet in Canada

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:19 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
I don't have Wesley James but I am a real fan of Ackerman. His teaching is a bit dry but it is top quality stuff. How many of the basics have you already gone through? Ie. Royal Road to Card Magic or Erdnase? I just ask because you don't necessarily want to get into harder stuff until you have a good foundation in the basics.
I have seen, and mastered most of the moves in the DVD fast company, and born to perform card magic (that one is very basic), a few other ones also, but that's mostly it, if that is what you were asking.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:37 pm 
born to perform.

Yes, That's cool I just wanted to be sure you had a good foundation before jumping into Ackermann. I would recommend his "Advanced Card contol series", especially the one on false deals. He teaches about every false deal imaginable except the greek deal, whick I think Jason England teaches on a T11 download. Anyways there is a really slick way of dealing 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths on the Ackermann dvd. It will come in handy once you have mastered the second, and before you master the bottom deal(much more difficult move IMO)

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:47 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Yes, That's cool I just wanted to be sure you had a good foundation before jumping into Ackermann. I would recommend his "Advanced Card contol series", especially the one on false deals. He teaches about every false deal imaginable except the greek deal, whick I think Jason England teaches on a T11 download. Anyways there is a really slick way of dealing 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths on the Ackermann dvd. It will come in handy once you have mastered the second, and before you master the bottom deal(much more difficult move IMO)
Thank you, so do I have good foundation? If so, which one would you recommend me getting first the "Advanced Card Control Series" or the "Expert At Card Table" DVD?

Thank You!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:56 pm 
born to perform.

Asdff1818 wrote:
Thank you, so do I have good foundation? If so, which one would you recommend me getting first the "Advanced Card Control Series" or the "Expert At Card Table" DVD?

Thank You!!!!

I don't have the EACT DVD? I definitly recommend the book... especially for someone interested in "gambling" magic. You probably have enough of a foundation to start getting into the Ackermann series. I started it after reading Erdnase, the Royal Road, and cherry picking from Advanced card technique. I still come back to those DVDs from time to time.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:07 pm 
born to perform.

Just got finished watching the demo for fast company. It looks like it covers a lot of the basics from erdnase so I would focus on the moves you are interested in, find out which Ackermann dvd covers those moves(I don't have the one on culls) and check that out.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:20 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
I don't have the EACT DVD? I definitly recommend the book... especially for someone interested in "gambling" magic. You probably have enough of a foundation to start getting into the Ackermann series. I started it after reading Erdnase, the Royal Road, and cherry picking from Advanced card technique. I still come back to those DVDs from time to time.
I'm not just interested in gambling magic, but just card magic, in general, but I have been coming across a lot of gambling magic stuff now, so I've been learning a lot about it.
When you say "Ackerman series" are you talking about a specific one, or just his stuff, in general?

Thank You!!!!