View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kids show help please?
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:19 pm 
born to perform.

hey all. So I get offered kids shows here and there, and if I can get by with my close-up arsenal I will accept. When I say kids shows I mean like 45 minutes of entertaining kids whom are usually under 8 years old. I always brush them off and tell people I do "close-up" magic and if they want someone to walk around and entertain people/kids I am good at that but doing a 45 minute to an hour stand-up for kids is not my thing.

Well...I am starting to change my tune. I just got offered a nice amount of $ to do an hour stand-up for a group of kids kindergarten-12 years old (summer camp). Seeing as I have had to turn down a number of gigs like this and it seems a lot of the gigs I come across are like this I am asking for help in putting together an hour or so stand-up kids show.

First off, what close-up tricks (tricks I may already have) can I use for this type of show? Again, the organizer says she wants an hour of magic and I will be performing for all the kids (k-12 years old) at the same time.

And, what tricks can I purchase that would be good for this performing venue? Preferably that do not cost an extreme amount of $.

Any help/advice/whatever would be appreciated, darn, there is money in this kids show thing.

Thanks again,

ps: the show isn't for more than a month.

-Ari

Post subject: Re: Kids show help please?
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:25 pm 
born to perform.

This probably makes more sense in the Kids Show forum. Of course, everyone is going to tell you that you should never book a kids show without a show to book and I would tend to agree given the short time before the performance dates. Kids are completely different animals than adults and teens. And kindergartners are a different group that 10-12 year olds. In other words, you have a big up hill battle to come up with a kids show. I would review the answers in the Kids Show forum as this has been answer dozens of times.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

An hour show with that age's attention span? Good luck you will need it. :lol: I would stick to strolling or no more than a 20-30 stage minute show tops. I did a lot of kid's shows when I first started out and many were nightmares. They get very restless and storm the stage after your props, sometimes they even break them. These days luckily I don't have to do them much. I get a lot of requests but for me they are the least fun and the lowest pay. I won't do under age 12 or so now. I am also a more serious adult performer and I don't like trying to act like I am in a play pitching a storyline in a strange high voice.

Most great kid's show performers do those shows exclusively as it is in art in itself. It is good experience but you need certain types of magic for it. Generally close-up "Street magic" does not work well with kids. They don't understand it. They would rather see sponge bunnies and comedy props. But I think you will just have to experience the nightmares yourself to see. I would buy Silly Billy's book and DVD at LEAST before doing any kid's shows.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:14 pm 
born to perform.

Ok, I will look through the kids show forum. I also did NOT agree to do the show yet. The money seemed good so i thought I would run it by you all and see if I should do it.

I will look through the kids forum but so you all agree that an hour is a bit much? maybe I could tell them I do 40 minutes stand up and then let groups come up and see my close-up material i.e spongeballs, etc...?

-Ari

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:26 pm 
born to perform.

I have been working on putting together a kids show routine.

I will tell you, it is much more difficult than I originally intended. I'm finding that things that I find humorous/amusing or that my peers find humorous/amusing don't necessarily go over well for a younger audience.

It's been challenging, but fun. I can't imagine having to try to put one together in about a month, though. I've been working on the scripting alone for mine for about 5 weeks now. I haven't even really begun to practice the routine.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:03 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I think an hour is too long for any show personally. I would not watch a show as adult for more than 30 minutes tops, imagine restless kids. No matter how good you are, their attention will begin to wane quickly and they will last about 20-30 minutes tops if you are lucky. That is a long time for kids to sit in one place. I would split it up 30/30 maybe. Or you could just do the show and end it when you see fit.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:27 pm 

I would not take this one at all even tho I am a kid's show magician. the reasons are simple; !. the age range from kindergarten (5 yrs old) to 12 yr olds is too wide. Things that the 12 yr olds get are way beyond the 5 yr olds and tricks that the young ones like will bore the crap out of older kids.

2. An hour is too bloody long for a kids show. The young ones don't have the attention span. Once one of them gets bored he starts making a fuss and then it spreads like a fire and you have got a roomful of bored, antsy kids that you can't control. Trust me on this, once you lose control of the kids your life is he!!. You will wish to be burried in crap just to hide from them. Sorry to say but that is the voice of experience and I would rather go back to Marine Corp boot camp and into combat than go thru that again.

Paddy

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:34 pm 
born to perform.

Wow! thanks guys. Do you think there would be any point in offering my show as 30 minutes or less and offering some close up for whomever is interested after? The money is good...?

-Ari

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:50 pm 
born to perform.

I think I may purchase some more kids tricks to do since I get these kid show offers. I think it may be worth it in the long run to have some resemblence of a kids show. You guys may hate this but I think I can get through a 30 minute kids show with my personality and a good number of tricks. Oh, by the way, I did get stuck doing I kids show that was totally, utterly, painfull. I dont want that again, but darn it the kids shows seem to pay well.

I have been looking at the peanut butter and jelly illusion, hippity hop rabbits, 5 mins with a pocket hankerchief and Rocky the Racoon. any thoughts on these tricks?

I already own/could perform rope magic, coloring book, flower box production from bag, silk and TT, and invisible thread. Think I could use what I have and may buy to put together a functional kids show??

-Ari

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:49 pm 
born to perform.

You know, I just dont like turning down all of these gigs but I have spent so much time and money working out my strolling/restaurant material that doing it all over for kids shows seems to be just too much.

UGGHHH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:31 pm 
born to perform.

I would definitely agree with the time span of 30 minutes! A hour long show is just too much for the younger ones.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:28 pm 
born to perform.

Kristenl! Great to see you posting again!

-JT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:26 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks, JT. It has definitely been awhile. It's been a wild ride around our place as my daughter is submitting all her colleges apps along with trying to balance school, work, magic, and life. She is definitely keeping us on our toes & keeping us busy. :)

In the meantime, hubby has been busy building some awesome new illusions!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:19 am 
born to perform.

Best of luck to her with college! It's a huge transition, but a lot of new life experiences that'll really open up her mind. Sorry to derail the thread, good to hear from you!

-JT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:40 am 
born to perform.

Here, afelbs! This will inspire ya;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxfbWijWyfo