View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Wallet Thread!!!(review your favorite wallet here!)
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 am 
born to perform.

Welcome to the wallet review thread. It seems that about once a month someone is shopping for a wallet around here and they are forced to make their selections based on a few tidbits of info from people willing to pass that info on. The sad fact is that there are very few reviews on wallets in this forum and it was my hope to start a thread dedicated to wallet reviews. If you have any type of wallet, card wallet, peek wallet, fire wallet ect. please review it an place it here.

Here is my proposed format:
Picture: try to upload a picture if you can. Sometimes the toughest part of picking a wallet is what the look like and how will they function as a wallet. Sadly many “magic” wallets on the market don’t provide that info so a snapshot of the interior (without exposing any secrets of course) would be helpful to many. Also take the photo next to a poker sized deck will give us an idea of the wallets overall size.

Wallet Functions: What type of wallet is it? Card, fire, peek? Does it have several functions? If the functions are common gaffs, Ie. Balducci/Kaps insert or a Mullica Insert, let us know. Is it a no palm wallet or palm only? Basically just let us know what all it has got.

Ease of use(for Magic): How easy is this thing to use in a performance?

Ease of use(every day wallet): Is this wallet practical to carry around wherever you go?

Overall Impressions: What do you think of it? Who do you think will like this wallet? Who do you think should avoid it?

That is about I can think of. If you have some thoughts on other usefull template categories let me know and I’ll update. I don’t think wallet reviews need to be super in depth…we all pretty much know what they do and what the reaction is like from a CTW so we don’t need to write books. I’ll get the party started with the following three reviews. I’ll also send out a general request for reviews on the Jerry O’Connel plus wallets, both large and small.
Cheers everyone,
Erik

Post subject: Re: The Wallet Thread!!!(review your favorite wallet here!)
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 am 
born to perform.

The Mullica Wallet

Well this is the tried and true secretary style wallet with one of the most common loading gaffs, the Mullica Insert. The card comes from inside a checkbook wallet that is inside the secretary wallet.
Attachment:
mulica1.jpg
mulica1.jpg [ 242.17 KiB | Viewed 4769 times ]

Price: $52.50 at Penguinhttp://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S3461

Wallet Function: There is pretty much one function, pulling a card out from inside the inner wallet. Obviously the Mullica insert is the gimmick used. Mullica inserts, in general , can be used as “no palm” or “palm” wallets depending on your preference.

Ease of use(Magic):This is probably the easiest CTW method. The large secretary style wallet will give you plenty of cover whether you choose to perform your CTW with or without a palm.
Ease of use(every day): Hrmmm…It is a secretary wallet. That should give you an idea of how it fits your style. Obviously for a formal performance(wearing a sport coat) you should have no trouble with this wallet but for casual day to day use it depends on your clothing choices. Where I grew up (the mountain west) it was quite popular for western style dresser(rednecks) to wear Levi 501s with a western style secretary wallet hanging ½ way out their back pocket. (Everyone has guns in Wyoming so we don’t worry about pickpockets to much) If that is your style you will have no trouble with this wallet once you find some tassels to put on it, for the rest of us blue jeans are out. Personally I wear a lot of cargo pants and I find that many of those pants also have deep front pockets that will fit a Mullica. Total size: 17.8 cm X 9.5 cm
Overall thoughts: This is a very easy wallet to use and a good place to start if you are looking for a good CTW. If you wear sport coats or pants with deep front pockets this can also be a a practical every day wallet. This doesn’t have all the features of a lot of wallets so I would only recommend it for beginners who fit the clothing requirements previously stated. One last thing to note-my Mullica came with the best quality leather of the three wallets I own. It is genuine leather not the nagahide (sp) imitation leather of the Triple Threat and the BKM….of course if you are a vegan that would be a reason not to buy this.

Last edited by eostresh on Wed May 26, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:19 am 
born to perform.

The BKM Wallet
BKM stands for Baldicci/Kaps and Mullica whick pretty much tells you what functions it has. It’s biggest disadvantage is its size…it’s biggest advantage is its size!
Attachment:
bkm1.jpg
bkm1.jpg [ 49.04 KiB | Viewed 4768 times ]

Price: $52.46 at Penguin
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S5165

Wallet Functions: Just like the Mullica it has an inner checkbook wallet with a Mullica insert in it. They did make a modification to the original design that allows you to hold the checkbook a little more freely. I actually didn’t like their “modification” as it traded a subtlety that I did like about the original with a subtlety that I wasn’t to thrilled about. I can’t really go into detail on these subtleties without exposier…sorry you’ll have to take my word for it. As stated in the previous review the Mullica insert can be done either from the palm or no palm. The Balducci/Kaps insert is really slick. This will allow you to get a card into a zippered compartment. You must be able to palm to take advantage of this feature but I think the zippered compartment is a little more exciting than the Mullica.

Ease of use(Magic): As above the Mullica is pretty easy. The Balducci/Kaps is pretty easy if you can palm. Again the secretary wallet style means you will have plenty of cover if using the Mullica function. The best overall aspect of this wallet is it’s overall use as a “Magicians toolbox.” This thing has tons of room to carry around extra gaffs and such. If you will look at the photo you will see some Ouija cards sticking out of a small zippered compartment on the side. This is a non gaffed coin compartment that I made great use of. Let me just add up all the stuff I have carried around in this wallet to give you an idea. 1. My ID, membership cards, credit cards ect. (total of 7). 2. Greed Gimmick. 3. Three Ring Circus gimmick. 4. Fan 2.C. gimmick. 5. Extra Joker in a ziplock bag for Witness(Deuce Bag.) 6. Cards for Juke Jermay’s Emotional Intellegence effect. 7. Up to $400 in $10 denomonations. …so about 40 bills. So as you can see this thing is a warehouse for “pack small play big” effects.
Ease of use(everyday use): Well this is the big tradeoff. It has the same size requirements as the Mullica and more. This thing is 19 cm X 11 cm…about an extra 1.5 cm in length and width as the Mullica.

Overall thoughts: If you are willing to lug this thing around it is a heck of a nice tool. You will really love the cleverness of the BK part of the equation and you can pack a ton of magic in here. I’d recommend this one to anyone who is willing to deal with a secretary. Even if you can’t palm yet you still get the no palm features of the Mullica and if you can palm you can do “multiple card to pocket “ routines. Unless you really want the high quality leather the Mullica offers this is a much better buy overall.

Last edited by eostresh on Wed May 26, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:19 am 
born to perform.

The Triple Threat Wallet:
Well this is my first “billfold” wallet, at least as far as magic is concerned. Right now I’m in the process of getting used to this wallet but I am beginning to see that this wallet could be a real worker.
Attachment:
tripple.jpg
tripple.jpg [ 49.96 KiB | Viewed 4768 times ]

Price: $39.95 at Penguin
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1532

Wallet Functions: As the name implies this wallet has three functions in total. First it has two slightly modified Mullica inserts, one to a buttoned flap in the main wallet, and one inside a buttoned compartment that is in a small business card wallet that tucks inside the main wallet. Second, in the business card wallet, in the same compartment as the card production, there is a peek function that can be used for mentalism routines.

Ease of use(magic): This is a trickier wallet than either of the two secretary styles I’ve reviewed(Mullica or BKM). Both Mullica features can be used palm or no palm though I would recommend palming for the card to main wallet and not palming for the card to interior wallet. Either way the smaller size of this wallet will give you less room for error. It has actually proved quite tricky loading this wallet in small sized pockets as it’s best load direction is along its length not its width. You can make a modification to the wallet that will make this a bit easier but expect some fumbling around when you first get this. PRACTICE! As for the peek function, it should work pretty easily. The only real trick is having a good excuse to have something written down and then placed in “your” wallet. If you can find the motivation for this in your patter the mechanics will be pretty easy. What this function is likely better suited for is in conjunction with a swami gimmick. Ie. Make a prediction, slip it in your wallet, ask for a bunch of numbers, add them up, and low and behold you got the number! Making this feature work will depend on your patter and presentation.
Ease of use(every day): Well the wallet will fold to billfold size which should be familiar to most of you. The one and only beef I have is the fact that the “coin pocket” that cards appear from in the main wallet actually folds over ½ the billfold area. This gives you two options, fold the bills in half and keep them to the open side of the wallet or unsnap the coin pocket cover each time you pull out some cash. It is a minor inconvenience but still worth mentioning. Other than that this wallet should work fine for every day use for anyone regardless of clothing style.
Overall thoughts: As stated I’m still getting used to this and would not recommend this as a first time wallet but for those who know what’s up this can be a very powerful wallet. When you see the design you will realize that this is not just a “loading” wallet but an “unloading” wallet as well. Where does that come in handy? Imagine this…Earnest Earicks’ Bureau D’E’change. A card is selected and placed in the pocket. Four kings are shown on the bottom of the deck. With a magical gesture the selected card appears on the bottom of the deck and the kings are in the pocket. Now that’s a pretty good trick. How much cooler will it be if you replace “pocket” with “buttoned compartment inside a wallet?” Reputation maker right there! That is the reason that, even with its shortcomings I have high hopes for this wallet.

Last edited by eostresh on Wed May 26, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:20 am 
born to perform.

The Mirage Wallet by Mark Mason:
This is my first card to wallet, wallet. It is a no palm, billfold, genuine leather wallet.
sorry for the crappy picture! I used my cell phone to take this

Where to Buy?: Mirage Wallet Only (http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1861)
Mirage Wallet with DVD (http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S11047)

Price: Wallet Only - $14.95
Wallet and DVD combo - $37.50

Wallet Functions: The Mirage Wallet is an amazing gimmick that will allow you to perform a no palm, signed card to wallet. The signed card ends up paper clipped inside a pocket in the wallet. One note about this is that the gimmick comes in either Red or Blue backed bicycle card so if you use a specific deck this may limit you. However, the instructions do include a note on modifying the gimmick if needed.

Ease of use(magic): This wallet is EXTREMELY easy to use. Like mentioned above it requires no palming, and as long as you can control a card this will be insanely easy to use. One feature that is really nice is the fact that it is paper clipped inside the wallet. Because of this, you can do a variation of Sankey's "Paperclipped". This is perfect for someone like me because I love that effect, yet my mercury fold kinda sucks. One slight note about this is that you kind of have to "break in" the gimmick. It took me about a week or so after I got to figure out how to make it work perfectly every time. As a side note their are two versions of this available; one comes with the wallet and written instructions, the other comes with the wallet and a DVD. I didn't get the DVD so I can't attest to how helpful it may be.

Ease of use(every day): I chose this wallet because it was of the "billfold" style. It is about 10cm x 21cm (4in x 8 1/2in) which makes it SLIGHTLY bigger than your standard wallet (not enough that it would make a difference). I use this as my everyday wallet, however it is lacking a few things. Because of the gimmick it only has 3 credit card slots and no pockets which may be a problem for a lot of people. One solution I have come up with is to use the plastic insert that comes in most wallets. I just took the one from my old wallet and transfered it over which gave me a little bit more room. It is made of real English Leather and is of a high quality.

Overall thoughts: For my first ever ctw I think this is perfect. It fits my style, its easy to use, and I can use it as an everyday wallet. Priced at around 15 bucks (for the wallet only) you can't go wrong!

~Zenn

Last edited by Zenn_Darkfire on Tue May 25, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:16 am 
born to perform.

The JOL small plus wallet; Jerry O'connell

Attachment:
File comment: Front of wallet with JOL marking
IMG_0377.jpg
IMG_0377.jpg [ 135.97 KiB | Viewed 4743 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: audience view of card reveal
IMG_0375.jpg
IMG_0375.jpg [ 167.48 KiB | Viewed 4743 times ]

Wallet Functions:
The wallet is constructed beautifully with excellent quality leather. It can perform the following effects:
signed card to ID case in zippered compartment (palm)
ring or other small object to sealed envelope in zippered compartment (palm)
signed card to zippered compartment (no palm)
ring or other small object to zippered compartment (no palm)
Confabulation routine (using wonder unit, that's provided)
Peek wallet
Holdout to load cards into deck.

It also has space for 2-3 of your favourite packet tricks. I have 3 card monte in the outer pocket of the wallet. shown here.

Attachment:
File comment: Back of wallet.
IMG_0378.jpg
IMG_0378.jpg [ 133.69 KiB | Viewed 4743 times ]

The wallet comes in a bundle that includes a DVD that includes instructions on all the features. It also has files to make your own envelopes, letters for the confab routine. It comes with a booklet detailing all the instructions. and it also comes with the ID case and the wonder unit.

Ease of use(magic): I won't consider myself a pro at all when it comes to wallets. My previous experiences has been the jardonnet wallet and the hip pocket bombshell. Both purchased because I wanted a small wallet. But the JOL always popped up as a great wallet. and I HAVE to say that I can't get over how good and easy this wallet is to use. I predominantly use this wallet for ring to sealed enveloped in zippered compartment. the load is extremely easy and very very fast. this also applies to the card to id case in compartment. the load is fast and can be done in the action of taking the wallet out of the breast pocket. I was e mailing Jerry himself and he was the one that suggested that I can even do the ring to zippered compartment using the no palm feature. although it can't come out of an envelop, the spectator can be holding your wallet the whole time which makes the effect just as strong.
the no-palm feature is equally fast to load. I think Akirafist has a vid of him doing a really quick review of it and it shows him loading it. don't have the link...sorry. but, easy to load, and very deceptive.
The DVD that comes with the wallet shows all the features and how to use it with all the subtleties.
I personally haven't tried the confab routine with the wonder unit or the peek function. but, the peek function is VERY easy, and as eotresh mentioned earlier, your patter and routining has to justify putting the card in the wallet in the first place.
The holdout feature is ok. I don't use it at all as I'm using the wallet for the other functions. Its just easier for me to load using other methods.

Ease of use(every day): this is probably the biggest downfall. it is large. 6x4 inches. I have tried carrying all my stuff in it for everyday use. It does have a few slots for notes, 4 CC slots (the large plus has 6CC I think). but because this was the small plus, my notes had a difficult time fitting in the slots and had to be folded which defeats the purpose really. I think the large plus would go better here in terms of storing notes and CC. I tried to use it everyday, but it just got silly and I reverted back to my wallet.

Overall thoughts: FINALLY! I have a CTW that I'm happy enough to use in my act and strolling. The ID case is perfect for strolling as it resets almost straight away. Its constructed beautifully and smells of high quality leather. it has multiple features and have something for everyone here. Some people will not like the size, and some will also hate the outside pocket. I've heard people commenting that it doesn't look "real". I know the JOL billfold has a similar design and some are not too keen on it. But, when I go into an act, they dont' know what wallet I carry anyway, and when I open the zip, and then take out the envelope/ID case, they don't really give a damm what type of wallet it is!!!
The last disadvantage is the cost. yes....its probably one of the most expensive wallets out there, But it is worth every penny and heck, you do get what you pay for!!!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S7944

P.S. this is my first ever review....if I have left anything out, and if you guys need me to add anything, let me know.

Last edited by soowee on Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:51 am 
born to perform.

soowee wrote:
I think Akirafist has a vid of him doing a really quick review of it and it shows him loading it. don't have the link...sorry.

I can't find it either. I'll do a full video review of all my wallets this week.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:40 am 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
soowee wrote:
I think Akirafist has a vid of him doing a really quick review of it and it shows him loading it. don't have the link...sorry.

I can't find it either. I'll do a full video review of all my wallets this week.

Yay! I can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 pm 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
soowee wrote:

I think from memory, you were reviewing a couple of things and the JOL was one of them and you did a quick no palm load. I found this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTX_IHgF3RA

But I think this is the no-palm wallet, and not the plus wallet. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Found this link though of a japanese guy demonstrating the JOL large plus and the JOL billfold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIG4jYdlpHM

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 pm 
born to perform.

The Real Man's Wallet

Price: $29.96

Where to buy: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S3204

Attachment:
File comment: Closed wallet (sorry for the bad quality. My camera is screwed at the moment)
IMG_2754.jpg
IMG_2754.jpg [ 199.26 KiB | Viewed 4717 times ]

Wallet Functions: This is a billfold-style wallet used for the Card to Wallet effect.This is a palming wallet so you need to be able to palm cards, guys. The loading function is unique so that the card is loaded directly into the pocket it comes out of. The card appears behind a plastic ID window which is behind a flap which is held by a clasp. There is one ID pocket, two inside pockets, three credit card slots and a nice bill pocket.
Attachment:
File comment: This is where the signed card appears
IMG_2768.jpg
IMG_2768.jpg [ 194.76 KiB | Viewed 4717 times ]

Ease of use(for Magic): I've had this for only over a week so I can't really give a true and honest opinion until I've used this for a while. The loading takes about five seconds. I'm sure after lots more practice, I'll be able to do it 2-3 seconds. The ease of loading depends a lot on the amount of space in your pocket, so I don't think it's easy to do in tight jeans.

Ease of use(every day wallet): This is like they took a wallet and decided to gaff it, not the other way around. It's a bit bigger than your standard wallet but that's okay. It looks completely like a wallet and not a prop or gaff. Currently, I have in my wallet: Some money, CTW (duh :lol: ), a Metrocard and Paul Harris' Reality Twister.

Overall Impressions: I really enjoy this wallet. It's fun to use and it looks like an ordinary wallet. Plus, it's real leather. I highly recommend this. :)

Last edited by duds on Tue May 25, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:03 pm 
born to perform.

This was a GREAT idea eostresh! Could someone review the Jardonett Wallet please?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:36 pm 
born to perform.

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
This was a GREAT idea eostresh! Could someone review the Jardonett Wallet please?

I've got the older version jardonett fire wallet. I think the new wallet has a peek function as well. So I think I'll let someone else do the new version. it'll be more relevant!
And yeah, Eotresh, this was a fantastic idea!!! We should do similar threads for other items/effects.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:02 pm 
born to perform.

soowee wrote:
Zenn_Darkfire wrote:

I've got the older version jardonett fire wallet. I think the new wallet has a peek function as well. So I think I'll let someone else do the new version. it'll be more relevant!
And yeah, Eotresh, this was a fantastic idea!!! We should do similar threads for other items/effects.

Yeah the new one is a flame wallet, ctw, and mentalist wallet

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:49 pm 
born to perform.

Asome job guys! I'm really pleased with the "turn out." One thing I totally forgot and will edit in to my reviews....Links and price! I feel a Simpsonesque Doh! comming on.
Cheers all,

Oh and Akira...Looking forward to those reviews.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:55 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Asome job guys! I'm really pleased with the "turn out." One thing I totally forgot and will edit in to my reviews....Links and price! I feel a Simpsonesque Doh! comming on.
Cheers all,

Oh and Akira...Looking forward to those reviews.

Done and done. I love this thread Erik. Now everyone can actually see all the different types of wallets there are.