View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:28 pm 
born to perform.

Ok, well something I would like to ask. I have read and listened to your posts but maybe you had some last second pointers for me.

I am a teacher during the school year and I am looking to try my hand at magic as my summer job (I am putting together a kids show and I have strolling restaurant material already).

Anyways, so I have 12 restaurants lined up that I am going to approach in the next few weeks (when school ends). I have googled them all and have the numbers. I plan on calling and asking for the Gm's name and times they will be around. I then plan on sytematically going to each one (sounds like im planning on taking over the world, haha) pitching my pitch in hope to land a few for weekly gigs this summer on top of the other work I hope to get through gigsaldad etc...

Any last minute advice (or support-a bit nervous) would be greatly appreciated.

-Ari

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:23 pm 

Leave the phone at home. Do not use it. It is very easy to blow off a phone call. See the G.M. in person before 10 AM or between 2 and 5 PM. These are slower times of the day, before lunch and after lunch rush and before dinner rush. Go in and ask for the G.M., if he's not there then ask for his name and when is the best time to see him.

Remember you are an entertainer that will be representing the restaurant so be dressed professionally, watch what you eat, no garlic or heavy onions, and THINK POSITIVE! You tell them how you can help them make more money.

Break a leg

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:31 pm 
born to perform.

Well...I'm a huge believer in being RUTHLESS with your time. I use to go out to restaurants but then I pitched them on the phone. A thing I noticed with restaurant managers is they already knew whether or not they are interested within a few seconds of finding out what you do. If they're willing to listen to what you say then you have a HUGE chance of getting the gig but most of them won't even listen to the benefits so I didn't bother with them which is why I qualified them quickly on the phone.

But the choice is yours...you can go up to them in person and watch their reaction or just see what they say on the phone. With restaurants you need to go to a lot of them and here is a marketing ploy that I used as well as a known performer on the penguin thread (only do this if they aren't interested in paying you)...

Either offer your services for free (tips only) or a REALLY cheap rate. Most places will accept your offer. After a month or two (use this time to get the guests to tell the GM how great you are) you approach the GM and tell him that another restaurant is offering to pay you. But since you're already performing with them, you will give them the first chance of hiring you for the same amount. If not, then you will perform at the other restaurant.

This technique is all about psychology. People like to gain something they don't have. But they HATE to lose something they already got.

And as far as gigsalad goes...they suck. GigMasters would be better for what you're doing.

To be a full time performer it is all about the work you put in...as I'm sure you know.

Good luck...let us know the outcome of the restaurants

Last edited by benji11 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:29 am 

Benji, WHAR are you saying? One statement I think (make that KNOW) you're wrong about. Never, NEVER NEVER!!!!
Quote:
offer your for free (tips only)

I will do a one time freebie audition but that's it. It's fine to work for a low rate plus tips but not for tips only. I can find a lot of restaurants that will pay me $50 plus tips for a 2 hour night on a weekly basis. If you work for free then they think that your value is "free."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:20 am 
born to perform.

Paddy, what I mean I am going to do is call and ask for the GM's name and times they will be in and then I will go in person. Is this a good idea??

I still plan on going in person, I just want to get the name first.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:01 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Benji, WHAR are you saying? One statement I think (make that KNOW) you're wrong about. Never, NEVER NEVER!!!!
Quote:
offer your for free (tips only)

I will do a one time freebie audition but that's it. It's fine to work for a low rate plus tips but not for tips only. I can find a lot of restaurants that will pay me $50 plus tips for a 2 hour night on a weekly basis. If you work for free then they think that your value is "free."

Paddy it depends on where the person is at. Of course restaurant workers will say to not work for free because it would be taking a step back. But someone starting out, having a hard time getting a restaurant will need to use all the techniques they can. And the hardest part about performing in a restaurant is getting one in the first place.

That is a technique which looks more towards the future and not just in the moment. You get them invested in what you offer and then take it away. Its a simple negotiation technique adapted for the long term (it can even be used to ask for a pay raise).

Try it Paddy. Tell your restaurant that you are getting other offers and you need them to pay you $75 instead of $50 because other places want you. You can either go out and really find a restaurant to pay $75 or just lie and tell them thats how much another restaurant is offering.

If you don't believe me, ask B Magic...he knows it works because he did it at his restaurant. He told them he had another restaurant offer to hire him (which was true but they didn't know that) so they needed to pay him more to keep him there. He used this technique twice.

If someone is having a hard time getting a restaurant then use that technique. Too many performers don't have much foresight. If doing something for free today will allow you to get paid a month from now then it is worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:48 pm 

OK but my little Jewish heart doesn't like the word "F*ee." I may try that in my restaurants to get a raise plus I have to replace 3 nights every week because of the economy around here slowed down the business, so I'll try this out.

Paddy (yes Irish [born in Ireland] but Jewish too)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:13 am 
born to perform.

New post: Frame Control

blog:
www.paidtoperform.blogspot.com

youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQdObjjxuJg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:39 pm 
born to perform.

New post: Approaching tables in restaurant magic

Blog:

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cWPejohNs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:05 pm 
born to perform.

New Post: STOP giving away your business cards. Do you give people your business cards? If you do, then you're doing it wrong.

Blog:

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKvExDC32Ik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:40 pm 
born to perform.

New Post: Networking...you will find that most of your gigs are from people who have seen you perform. You always want to meet people and get them to want to meet you.

Blog:

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIVFdybbbqM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:42 pm 
born to perform.

New Post: How to automatically get clients; systematize your business

Think in terms of systematizing your business. Work on your business, not in it.

Blog:

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK5iVv035xg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:15 pm 
born to perform.

New Post: Productivity

The only way you can turn this into a business is to be productive and stay productive (being busy is not being productive)

Blog:

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=481ptABClLw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:17 pm 
born to perform.

New Post: How to get free promotional photos, website, and a tactic to increase value

Blog:

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEAVBQJaAhk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:47 pm 
Penguin

Whether we all agree with Benji's methods or not a lesson every working magician needs to learn is focus. He has a system, that builds focus. Many performers have the focus of an octopus on roller skates and wonder why they do not get very far. Just when something is on the verge of breaking through they try a new method they got form the new book or DVD and it crashes down. When we apply effort it takes time to build momentum, if we are always looking for the next big thing we sabotage our success.

This is in reference to business. If you desire to make money as a magician you are going to need to educate yourself here. Adding new tricks to your repertoire is not the same as trying a new market strategy. Marketing yourself takes time. Choose a course of action based on proven methods and stick with them for at least 3-6 months. If they work, keep doing it. If you feel that you can see better results with an adjustment, then by all means adjust. Just be careful, don't be an octopus.

A friend of mine is a very successful business man who works at his fireplace mantle with a day planner. Nothing high tech, it wasn't until a few year ago he finally got a cell phone. He has a system he is comfortable with and he sticks to it.

The key is to look at someone who is successful and willing to share their ideas, then apply them to your life. I have to say that there are courses out there that charge hundreds to give you less than what Benji is sharing. As in all things take what you like and use it.

A system is what every successful person has and they have laser focus when applying it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next