View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Harder and effective tricks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:37 am 
born to perform.

Some of these are one trick DVD's, others require gimmicks, others are just not what you need. First off, go buy this NOW (not later):

CardShark Ortiz Set Volume 1 Thru 3 - DVD
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S12342

It's exactly what you want, and a 3-DVD set for $20 is nuts and will be sold out very soon. Ortiz is "punch-in-the-face" strong magic. Then pick up these:

Paul Gordon – Card Startlers (see his site, not sold here)
Bill Malone - On The Loose
Paul Wilson And Lee Asher – Hit the Road

More insanely strong effects, all with a regular deck of cards (couple of gimmicks/extra cards and such but few and far between). All those guys make a living doing card magic, so it's golden. I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:40 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
I have heard, from Adam I think, that Bicycle Thief is a gimmick effect. I'm not sure that is what you are after?
That is not what I want, thanks for telling me!
eostresh wrote:
Hit the Road is excellent and Search and Destroy is good,though, I would recommend it with the book, "The Paper Engine." Reflections has been getting good reviews but I don't have it yet(still on my wishlist). As for the Paul Gordon stuff....I'll defer to Akira.
Thank you for all of your suggestions!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:46 pm 
Penguin

Adammcd wrote:
Bicycle Thief does indeed require gimmicks.

If you are geeting Bill Malone, get the On the loose set.

Some of the card magic you are talking about is on there. Malones Invisible Palm Aces is one of the most amazing and difficult tricks I have ever tried to learn. With particular card skills in hand already that chore of a trick could be a lot simpler to learn.
That's great! Is the invisible palm aces that you are talking about, this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh8St2DcISw It seems like Larry Jennings', except he palms it differently. But the last ace, is what I don't understand, does he use an extra card?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:52 pm 
Penguin

akirafist wrote:
Some of these are one trick DVD's, others require gimmicks, others are just not what you need. First off, go buy this NOW (not later):

CardShark Ortiz Set Volume 1 Thru 3 - DVD
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S12342

It's exactly what you want, and a 3-DVD set for $20 is nuts and will be sold out very soon. Ortiz is "punch-in-the-face" strong magic. Then pick up these:

Paul Gordon – Card Startlers (see his site, not sold here)
Bill Malone - On The Loose
Paul Wilson And Lee Asher – Hit the Road

More insanely strong effects, all with a regular deck of cards (couple of gimmicks/extra cards and such but few and far between). All those guys make a living doing card magic, so it's golden. I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.
Thank you, this is very helpful. I will refer to this. I think I should copy and paste it in case this thread, like the other one gets deleted, lol. I am camera shy, but it is still in my plans to put a video on YouTube (not yet), so when I can, will I be allowed to put any of these guys' tricks on YouTube? Or am I not allowed, because of the copyright?
Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:36 am 
Penguin

Do you guys think that I should keep practicing moves, or focus more on these DVDs (magic tricks), or both?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:32 am 
born to perform.

Both. It will be more fun practicing a move, and more educational, in the context of a routine. I practice a move until I am proficient and then put it in a routine to help me polish it to performance readiness and just to keep practice interesting.

As for the YouTube question: Performance is fine. Free advertising for the creator so long as it is well performed. Revealing secrets is obviously ethically uncool and posting actual video footage of the DVD you purchased is illegal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:44 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Both. It will be more fun practicing a move, and more educational, in the context of a routine. I practice a move until I am proficient and then put it in a routine to help me polish it to performance readiness and just to keep practice interesting.
That makes sense, thank you. I will do that.

eostresh wrote:
As for the YouTube question: Performance is fine. Free advertising for the creator so long as it is well performed. Revealing secrets is obviously ethically uncool and posting actual video footage of the DVD you purchased is illegal.
Ok, I will only perform, if I ever do.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:32 pm 
Penguin

I might also suggest you pick up a copy of the book Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. In it he discusses the real relationship between the difficulty of a trick and an audience's reactions, and how to infuse your magic with meaning so your audiences will care about it and react to it.