View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Classic Pass Necessary?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:55 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 14016
Location: Las Vegas, NV/Albuquerque, NM/Pensacola, FL
I've never been a fan of the Herrmann Shift. I just feel that it needs an extra beat that hurts it. I love other shifts that use the Herrmann as the primary function, like the Midnight Shift, Turnover Pass, and Spread Pass, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classic Pass Necessary?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:18 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 2753
exodus wrote:
I've never been a fan of the Herrmann Shift. I just feel that it needs an extra beat that hurts it. I love other shifts that use the Herrmann as the primary function, like the Midnight Shift, Turnover Pass, and Spread Pass, though.

I had never thought of that before. i always do an all around square up that covers that but to a magic savvy audience that would be a big tell (at least with a riffle or dribble pass the square up has motivation.) Good thing I rarely perform to audiences like that but I'd better put in some work before I do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classic Pass Necessary?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 14016
Location: Las Vegas, NV/Albuquerque, NM/Pensacola, FL
If you're already using an All Around Square Up, you should look into the Midnight Shift. For the longest time, if I wanted to use a Pass for a Color Change, that's the one I'd go too. You may want to also consider the Invisible Pass from Expert Card Technique. It's essentially a Herrmann with a wrist turn to cover the move. I usually use it when I have the option to pull up my sleeves, since it flows well out of the wrist turn. I've also used it to rub the pack on my leg or something else nearby. Really, there are a lot of ways to cover the move.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classic Pass Necessary?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:07 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 2753
exodus wrote:
If you're already using an All Around Square Up, you should look into the Midnight Shift. For the longest time, if I wanted to use a Pass for a Color Change, that's the one I'd go too. You may want to also consider the Invisible Pass from Expert Card Technique. It's essentially a Herrmann with a wrist turn to cover the move. I usually use it when I have the option to pull up my sleeves, since it flows well out of the wrist turn. I've also used it to rub the pack on my leg or something else nearby. Really, there are a lot of ways to cover the move.

That Invisible Turnover pass is quite nice. I've had that book for six years an managed to gloss over that move every time. Sometime the coolest stuff is in your closet you just forgot it was there. Thanks X! Where can I find the Midnight shift?...It's probably in a book I have lying around here someplace :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classic Pass Necessary?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:31 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 14016
Location: Las Vegas, NV/Albuquerque, NM/Pensacola, FL
I totally agree. The Midnight Shift is Steve Draun's move and in his book. I'm sure it's on the DVDs too, but I haven't seen them. Bill Malone teaches a variation called the Sleeve Pass on his On the Loose series, which is pretty good too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classic Pass Necessary?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:30 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 2753
exodus wrote:
I totally agree. The Midnight Shift is Steve Draun's move and in his book. I'm sure it's on the DVDs too, but I haven't seen them. Bill Malone teaches a variation called the Sleeve Pass on his On the Loose series, which is pretty good too.

Thanks for the referrals. I'll have to put those on the list....The one that is getting ridiculously long!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classic Pass Necessary?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:58 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 12 Oct 2003
Posts: 139
soowee wrote:
Super late reply. But I recently bought a video from Jonathan kamm, his tutorial on the classic pass. Very good......


Yes, Jonathan has one of the best Passes I have ever seen, I have worked with different passes for 16 years and his method is very simple, that was a great buy in my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classic Pass Necessary?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:33 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 1145
Location: Australia + New Zealand
roy291 wrote:
soowee wrote:
Super late reply. But I recently bought a video from Jonathan kamm, his tutorial on the classic pass. Very good......


Yes, Jonathan has one of the best Passes I have ever seen, I have worked with different passes for 16 years and his method is very simple, that was a great buy in my opinion.


Yup, totally agreed. SImple, straight to the point and cheap! ALthough, at the beginning of the vid, it got a bit annoying him showing off how awesome his pass looks. :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Classic Pass Necessary?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:24 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 150
MagicMan43 wrote:
extremely Late reply i know.... but you tube passes !!!!rofl!!!! They are a terrible source to learn from. Even this fellow you speak of probably couldn't perform the pass
so fast as to fool the eye, fooling the camera is unbelievably easy as there is a time delay.


Akira Fuji is a great magician and his pass is great in real life performances as well. From wot i can see from these videos hes fooling the eyes of the audience. sometimes their even burning his hands

Heres some of his videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWSMxUDg ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y8I-CL_cEo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3H8mcea5C4


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.