View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gig Update #2! (With Video Blog!)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:11 pm 
born to perform.

So I just got back from a gig and it was INSANE! It was a free gig at the library (I've been friends with the head Librarian for years) and it also gave me a chance to practice some things for my paying gigs lol

Anyways I was expecting to have around 30 kids per group (I would be doing two 15-20 min shows). When they opened the doors in flew 105 people!!!! (*85 kids and 20 adults/older siblings). It was def not what I had expected! Anyway after the puppet show/story time it was my turn. With the exception of one tiny hiccup (in the magic coloring book I forgot to show the pictures blank at the beginning and one empty page flashed but no one noticed) it went perfect! I was allowed to film but unfortunately my un-official cameraman couldn't make it (he had band practice) so my younger brother filmed instead. He cut off about the first minute and accidentally stopped/started in the middle but I think it turned out good (shaking/zooming issues aside). I'll be uploading it, hopefully, later this week.

The second group was smaller than the first, only 67 people (50 kids and 17 adults), and was amazing. There were no hiccups, flaws, or any mishaps. Unfortunately my little brother forgot to tape that one! lol

I passed out I think 50 or 60 business cards and at the end tons of parents and kids came up to me to chat. One of the parents, who is also a friend of the librarians, turned out to be a former kids magician himself 15 years ago! The ironic thing is that with the exception of the final two tricks that I performed (Vanishing Bandanna and D'Lite routine) he said he used to do the same effects, which I thought was pretty funny. He gave me some great tips and I gave him my e-mail so we could chat. Overall the gig went AMAZING and I am quite proud of myself for performing for close to 200 people for only my second gig!

I taped another blog and I should have that up tonight.

~Zenn

Last edited by Zenn_Darkfire on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Gig Update #2! (Video Blog coming soon!)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:45 pm 
born to perform.

Sounds like your magic career is off to a good start!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:08 pm 
born to perform.

Hey guys heres the blog, as promised!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:11 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Sounds like your magic career is off to a good start!

Thanks Erik!

Post subject: Re: Gig Update #2! (With Video Blog!)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:27 pm 
born to perform.

Sounds like you're rocking!

Get a restaurant gig (or two). You'll get a ton of practice, and many private gigs once you're established at the place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:30 pm 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
Sounds like you're rocking!

Get a restaurant gig (or two). You'll get a ton of practice, and many private gigs once you're established at the place.

Haha thanks! Actually right now I'm trying to get a restaurant gig. My friend works at an Outback and I went to school with the owners daughter so I'm trying to see if I can get a job there =]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:46 am 
born to perform.

That's awesome Josh! I completely forgot you've only been doing magic for about a year. As it's been mentioned on here before, you have matured as a magician REALLY fast! Congrats to you! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:28 am 
born to perform.

evanbishop wrote:
That's awesome Josh! I completely forgot you've only been doing magic for about a year. As it's been mentioned on here before, you have matured as a magician REALLY fast! Congrats to you! :D

haha thanks Evan =]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:57 pm 
born to perform.

Hey guys heres a link to the videos!

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=158156

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:45 pm 
born to perform.

You look like a magician, sound like a magician, just seeing that video you have the prescence (i spell like a magician) of a magician. I have an odd situation in my town. In a town of a few thousand there are 4 or 5 active magicians, so I've always had "mentors" so to speak, but one thing that I found cool is talking to pros after their shows. If you ever have the chance to see professionals, especially after small shows, I haven't met one yet who hasn't been willing to talk to me about magic and give me a few tips and pointers (Kalin and Ginger, Jeff Hobson, Paul Kozak even stopped in the middle of his show (small crowd due to the world series) and talked to me about magic)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:22 pm 
born to perform.

tiggerkim wrote:
You look like a magician, sound like a magician, just seeing that video you have the prescence (i spell like a magician) of a magician. I have an odd situation in my town. In a town of a few thousand there are 4 or 5 active magicians, so I've always had "mentors" so to speak, but one thing that I found cool is talking to pros after their shows. If you ever have the chance to see professionals, especially after small shows, I haven't met one yet who hasn't been willing to talk to me about magic and give me a few tips and pointers (Kalin and Ginger, Jeff Hobson, Paul Kozak even stopped in the middle of his show (small crowd due to the world series) and talked to me about magic)

Thanks a lot... yeah there are like no magicians in my immediate area and I've only seen two perform in real life (not online)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:51 pm 
Penguin

I agree that restaurant gigs are a good base. However do not just work for tips ( I'm sure you know this already ). You have value because you will increase word of mouth. Let the management know that you will charge them less then your private and corporate shows because they offer you a venue to promote yourself and you in turn will promote their restaurant. They feel they are getting a deal because they are.

Magicians are also a great source of information and friendship. Look into joining the nearest IMB ring. For 2 years I traveled an hour once a month to hang out with other magicians. I've also got gigs from this. When other magicians could not take a gig because they were already booked, they referred their client to me. Its all about people.