View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Pass (again)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:23 pm 
born to perform.

It's something I've noticed is that when someone uses the pass, it usually so that they can immediately reveal what the pass did. In an ACR when the pass is used a person often immediately reveals it on top.

Why don't most people use their passes to just control the card to the top for things like sandwich effects and other things?

Post subject: Re: The Pass (again)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 pm 
Emperor Penguin

From what Ive seen... thats what most people do. Use it as a control.
Ive never used it in my ACR. Only as a control in other effects.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:31 pm 
born to perform.

mchkeegan wrote:
It's something I've noticed is that when someone uses the pass, it usually so that they can immediately reveal what the pass did. In an ACR when the pass is used a person often immediately reveals it on top.

Why don't most people use their passes to just control the card to the top for things like sandwich effects and other things?

... if only people read Erdnase and studied Vernon.... lol

Cheers
Ted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 am 
born to perform.

I almost never use a pass in an ACR. Passes control the entire deck and that's when I use it...to control the entire deck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:58 am 
born to perform.

The only reason I see for using a pass in an ACR is to do a face-up rise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:19 pm 
born to perform.

mchkeegan wrote:

A breather crimp totally eliminates the need for a pass (spec cuts, I cut, done), and allows a quick riffle shuffle after the two cuts. I haven't used a pass in a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:42 pm 
born to perform.

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
From what Ive seen... thats what most people do. Use it as a control.
Ive never used it in my ACR. Only as a control in other effects.

well your using it the way I'd think people would but most use it to control a card, and then immediately show it's on top.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 pm 
born to perform.

If by most people you mean most youtube magicians then... yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:52 pm 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
A breather crimp totally eliminates the need for a pass (spec cuts, I cut, done), and allows a quick riffle shuffle after the two cuts. I haven't used a pass in a long time.

Actually when I use it I use it with a breather crimp. Spec cuts, spec doesn't see me cutting, done.
mchkeegan wrote:
well your using it the way I'd think people would but most use it to control a card, and then immediately show it's on top.

He is not referring to a control to immediate reveal. Just a control. Where you go from there is your option. I think immediate reveal for a single card is a wasted use for a pass. There are tons of efficient single card controls. If a pass is your most deceptive technique, then by all means use it as such. I just find that most people will master one of the many single card controls before they master a pass.
daniel116 wrote:
If by most people you mean most youtube magicians then... yeah.

I'm beginning to agree. I think the more appropriate question might be, "Does anyone use a pass in and ACR and then immediately reveal?"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:16 pm 

I almost always use some type of Pass as a control. The only time I don't is when I need to get into a certain position for a specific reason, I want them to absolutely burn the deck as the card goes flush. If that's what I need, it's a Bluff Pass, Tilt, or Top Change followed with putting a random card in the deck, or because I'm bored with the move/can't get them to look up for anything. The move I use in that case is generally Marlo's Deliberate Side Steal, because the angles are pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:56 pm 
born to perform.

I think that the only real reason that people use the pass in an ACR is because they did not think about what they would use the move for when they learned it. I myself got my fingers around the diagonal palm shift for over a month before I realized that I had no real use for it. Time wasted. So these guys on youtube learned the pass and then used it for its crudest purpose.

I think it is fine to use in a ACR sparingly. Once in an effect is enough and if it is not face up you want to place the move near the beginning of the routine.

As always,
Dylan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:30 am 
born to perform.

juliegel wrote:
I\ I myself got my fingers around the diagonal palm shift for over a month before I realized that I had no real use for it. Time wasted.

:o :!: Never heard that before in relation to the DPS! Do you have a more efficient way to get a card from the center of the deck into a left handed palm?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:44 am 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
juliegel wrote:
I\ I myself got my fingers around the diagonal palm shift for over a month before I realized that I had no real use for it. Time wasted.

:o :!: Never heard that before in relation to the DPS! Do you have a more efficient way to get a card from the center of the deck into a left handed palm?

Well seeing as I do not do any effects that need me to get a card palmed into my right hand ( I am left handed in this situation) from the center of the deck. If I need a palm I just catch a break on the way into the deck, then a pass, drop the deck and let it ride for a few seconds then palm from the top. I have never needed more then that and it it works just fine in my hands.

As always,
Dylan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:38 pm 

Dylan, you need to have a look at a variation of Larry Jenning's Ambidextrous Travelers. Personally, I prefer Michael Vincent's version from his second set of DVDs. It's got a great use for the DPS built in. Personally, I love the move, but only because I do a lot of jazzing with Card in Pocket variations, so it's the perfect move for what I'm doing. Card Under Glass is another one that becomes really easy.