View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:06 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
magicianandyoyoer wrote:
paddy wrote:
This "quarter a trick" thing makes you look like a "cute kid getting money for candy."

what would you suggest?

PS: they wouldn't think a little kid can do what i can after i showed them an effect.

When you charge a quarter, then you're a kid looking for candy money. You obviously can't do much when each "trick" is only worth a quarter, if you could do effects then you would busk and hat the crowd. One of my lines is "put any money that folds in the hat, my mother taught me to travel light and coins weigh too much to carry."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 531
I live in the south, during a recession, and it would be at a yard sale. the people, no matter how good i would be, probably wouldn't be willing to give more than $1.00 at the max.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
Contrary to professional opinion, I think it would be fun for a yard sale. Go for it and tell us how it goes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 531
DaveV wrote:
Contrary to professional opinion, I think it would be fun for a yard sale. Go for it and tell us how it goes.

go for it, as in to gain experience, or have a table with a tip jar, or what?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:38 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
Don't worry about trying to "hat" them later. Just do your original plan. Wait until they pay and go from there.

There are several buskers (not necessarily magicians) who do well this way. Jugglers and box standers especially.

Saw a "human statue" juggler in Copenhagen with a bucket. He stayed frozen until you dropped a coin in the bucket (coins there can value up to $5-$10 each) and then he'd do a short juggling routine and freeze again until the next one.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:10 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 531
cool! thanks for the advice!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:55 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Posts: 540
DaveV wrote:
Contrary to professional opinion, I think it would be fun for a yard sale. Go for it and tell us how it goes.


I'm not sure whether I should be insulted or be flattered. 8)

Are you saying that you agree with me?
Or that I am unprofessional?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:02 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
I don't recall mentioning you either way. I'm just referring to the generally accepted "busker" theory of drawing a crowd, entertaining them, and passing the hat. In his case, I'm just encouraging him to try the "quarter a trick" concept and see how it goes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:44 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Posts: 540
DaveV wrote:
I don't recall mentioning you either way. I'm just referring to the generally accepted "busker" theory of drawing a crowd, entertaining them, and passing the hat. In his case, I'm just encouraging him to try the "quarter a trick" concept and see how it goes.


My mistake. I thought you were referring to Paddy as the "professional".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:04 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 531
had an idea last night! charge one quarter, but if they want to see the same trick again, they pay $5. too much> what do you guys think? i don't normally do the same trick again though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 27 Mar 2004
Posts: 843
Location: Ohio U.S.A.
magicianandyoyoer wrote:
had an idea last night! charge one quarter, but if they want to see the same trick again, they pay $5. too much> what do you guys think? i don't normally do the same trick again though.


I think you're delusional. One can tell by your postings that you're more interested in trying to get paid for doing magic (which, by the way, you're clearly NOT ready), rather than gaining some performing experience. Recession or not, just the title of this thread alone is a slap in the face to all of those who work very hard to practice and hone their craft. It's your type of thinking that cheapens magic in the eyes of potential clients by charging a "quarter a trick", and then have the nerve to say "I'll do it again for $5.00!" Now you've gone from looking like a beggar to a con man, and in the process, you've moved the art of magic even further down the chain of entertainment genres!

Before you can even begin to think about getting paid to perform you have to pay your dues. Which means get some entertaining experience by doing some freebies such as nursing homes, pre-schools and the like, or by doing some close up at this upcoming yard sale! Being a magician isn't just about doing tricks, it's about being an ENTERTAINER! The tricks are merely tools, whether the audience has a good time, or not depends on your presentation, not just the trick itself. Until you gain this experience, you're not ready to be a paid performer, whether it's a .25 or $1,000,000!

I'm not trying to be harsh with you. I just don't want to see what I, and so many others have dedicated a life long study to, to become cheapened any further!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:41 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
ElConquistador wrote:
DaveV wrote:
I don't recall mentioning you either way. I'm just referring to the generally accepted "busker" theory of drawing a crowd, entertaining them, and passing the hat. In his case, I'm just encouraging him to try the "quarter a trick" concept and see how it goes.


My mistake. I thought you were referring to Paddy as the "professional".
I am a professional busker, however, Dave is also a professional magician and this is a difference of opinion between two magi. I, like Dave, see nothing wrong with working a yard sale, I disagree on "quarter a trick" thing. There are several reasons for my stand, first being a quarter, 25 cents, to see a trick cheapens magic down to a kiddie game. Draw the crowd into the yard sale, perform your 3 effect sidewalk show and "hat 'em Danno!" That makes a positive image to the magic.

Dave has his opinion and I hold mine, neither one is wrong just how we each feel about this subject.

Paddy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:50 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
Yard sales are typically extremely cheap. Many items that originally sold for a goodly amount of money sell at yard sales for a dollar or less. I didn't suggest a "quarter a trick" but if that's the price point for the rest of the sale, who am I to argue? A "Buck a Trick" might do just as well.

Either way he'll have fun, the people at the yard sale will have fun, and he'll get in some good practice time interacting with random people in a controlled environment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:52 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 531
brisco wrote:
magicianandyoyoer wrote:
had an idea last night! charge one quarter, but if they want to see the same trick again, they pay $5. too much> what do you guys think? i don't normally do the same trick again though.


I think you're delusional. One can tell by your postings that you're more interested in trying to get paid for doing magic (which, by the way, you're clearly NOT ready), rather than gaining some performing experience. Recession or not, just the title of this thread alone is a slap in the face to all of those who work very hard to practice and hone their craft. It's your type of thinking that cheapens magic in the eyes of potential clients by charging a "quarter a trick", and then have the nerve to say "I'll do it again for $5.00!" Now you've gone from looking like a beggar to a con man, and in the process, you've moved the art of magic even further down the chain of entertainment genres!

Before you can even begin to think about getting paid to perform you have to pay your dues. Which means get some entertaining experience by doing some freebies such as nursing homes, pre-schools and the like, or by doing some close up at this upcoming yard sale! Being a magician isn't just about doing tricks, it's about being an ENTERTAINER! The tricks are merely tools, whether the audience has a good time, or not depends on your presentation, not just the trick itself. Until you gain this experience, you're not ready to be a paid performer, whether it's a .25 or $1,000,000!

I'm not trying to be harsh with you. I just don't want to see what I, and so many others have dedicated a life long study to, to become cheapened any further!


I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE MONEY!!! :) the ONLY reason i care about money, would be to get more effects, to show to people and see their faces( the reason i do it, i love the reactions, and how much they love it) OR to help my family out, thank you for the advice though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Quarter A Trick?????
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:11 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 27 Mar 2004
Posts: 843
Location: Ohio U.S.A.
magicianandyoyoer wrote:
brisco wrote:
magicianandyoyoer wrote:
had an idea last night! charge one quarter, but if they want to see the same trick again, they pay $5. too much> what do you guys think? i don't normally do the same trick again though.


I think you're delusional. One can tell by your postings that you're more interested in trying to get paid for doing magic (which, by the way, you're clearly NOT ready), rather than gaining some performing experience. Recession or not, just the title of this thread alone is a slap in the face to all of those who work very hard to practice and hone their craft. It's your type of thinking that cheapens magic in the eyes of potential clients by charging a "quarter a trick", and then have the nerve to say "I'll do it again for $5.00!" Now you've gone from looking like a beggar to a con man, and in the process, you've moved the art of magic even further down the chain of entertainment genres!

Before you can even begin to think about getting paid to perform you have to pay your dues. Which means get some entertaining experience by doing some freebies such as nursing homes, pre-schools and the like, or by doing some close up at this upcoming yard sale! Being a magician isn't just about doing tricks, it's about being an ENTERTAINER! The tricks are merely tools, whether the audience has a good time, or not depends on your presentation, not just the trick itself. Until you gain this experience, you're not ready to be a paid performer, whether it's a .25 or $1,000,000!

I'm not trying to be harsh with you. I just don't want to see what I, and so many others have dedicated a life long study to, to become cheapened any further!


I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE MONEY!!! :) the ONLY reason i care about money, would be to get more effects, to show to people and see their faces( the reason i do it, i love the reactions, and how much they love it) OR to help my family out, thank you for the advice though.


If that's the case the set up a table with a tip jar. Asking for a quarter to see a magic trick looks like you're begging .


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.