View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ADA Gig in NY
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:51 am 
born to perform.

Hey guys I just wanted to let you all know how the gig up in NY went. To remind you what it was, my aunt works as a teacher for special needs adults and is also a Zumba instructor. Her Zumba place was working with the Long Island American Disabilities Association and has a little fair/field day type of thing. I was supposed to do 2 10-15 min shows and some walk-around magic. However there was a tiny miscommunication. I was told that I needed to do two shows, however I was under the impression that they were going to be the same act twice. I brought enough material for one full show and about another half show (as some backup tricks). The thing was since I was travelling to NY I left the majority of my magic at home. Well in the end it worked out because I just ended up doing more walk-around. The actual show part was OK imo, however everyone seemed to like it. Most of my effects are heavily based on audience interaction, and unfortunately only like 5 people were interacting. Because of this I felt that the show wasn't my best. However after hearing what everyone told me about it and re-watching the video, I can see that it was a bit better than I thought. I was also mic-ed for the first time and because of some technical issues we never did the dress rehearsal as planned. I didn't know which mic I would be using until I actually went on (they had both hands free ones and ones on stands). I ended up using one on a stand but I felt awkward using it a bit. There was only one hiccup during my act and that was during the rope routine. Something flashed, which at the time I thought was obvious, but when I watched the tape I realized that it wasn't that bad after all. The walk around went much better and I had the most amazing experience happen to me! Back in HS, my freshman and sophomore years, I took American Sign Language (ASL) as my foreign language. Because of schedule conflicts, I was not able to continue taking ASL. Recently I decided that I wanted to re-teach myself sign language. Well yesterday at the ADA event, while waking from table to table, I noticed a woman signing with what an interpreter. Well I walked over and politely signed "excuse me would you like to see some magic?" I then proceeded to do about 10 mins of material completely in sign language! Both the woman and her interpreter were very impressed at my signing skills and were amazed by the magic. My cousin was supposed to film me doing my walk-around magic but he got sick so my brother was supposed to take his place. However my brother was in a very pissed off mood and as a result only taped two times. Well since he didn't film me when I did the entire routine in ASL I decided that I wanted to see if I could do some more magic for her. I walked back to her table and asked if she would like to see some more magic and if my brother could film. She happily agreed to both and then I asked her interpreter to sign for me since the tricks I was about to perform would have been a bit difficult to do and sign at the same time. I am a bit pissed because halfway through my sponge routine, my brother walked away to get his cell phone because he thought he lost it and so he stopped taping! However he did come back around the time I finished. It made me really happy knowing that I was able to entertain this woman with something that normally would be a bit difficult to do. The most exciting bit was at the end of my act, I asked her name in ASL and then if she had a name sign. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the deaf culture, a name sign is a visual representation of your name in sign language based off personality traits, physical traits, or talents. For example if you were an artist named Eric, your name sign might be the sign for "Art" but with the letter 'E'. The thing with name signs is that you can't just make one up, you have to be given one by a deaf person. All through HS I wanted one really bad, but I was never given one. Only two people in my entire class had one. Well when I asked her if she had a name sign she replied no (I believe she recently became deaf only because she was able to voice fairly well and had her interpreter spell certain words instead of signing them). Her interpreter then asked me what my name was and if I had a name sign. When I told them no she and the women decided that mine should be something like "Magician" but with a 'J'. It was very exciting for me because I truly felt special for getting one and making a difference in this womans life.

Sorry for the long entry, I hope to have some video up soon. Unfortunately because my brother was uncooperative, I don't have that much to show. I'll keep you all updated!

Post subject: Re: ADA Gig in NY
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:02 pm 
born to perform.

the story about the woman who was deaf... AMAZING STORY! i loved reading it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:13 pm 
born to perform.

7 1/2 thumbs up man!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:25 pm 
born to perform.

magicianandyoyoer wrote:
the story about the woman who was deaf... AMAZING STORY! i loved reading it!

Haha yeah it was a once in a lifetime thing for me. Actually I think I may want to contact this local group of deaf people who have outings and events and see if I could possibly do one!

duds wrote:
7 1/2 thumbs up man!

Haha thanks man!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:35 pm 
born to perform.

Right on Zenn! Did you get any tips? If not...that's what Greed is good for. You are always guaranteed at least a 50 cent tip. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:38 pm 
born to perform.

That rocks man, can't wait to see the videos!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:48 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Right on Zenn! Did you get any tips? If not...that's what Greed is good for. You are always guaranteed at least a 50 cent tip. :wink:

Haha no I did not. The majority of the people I performed for were special needs teens/adults. Also I ended up doing my own effect Ca$h instead of Greed lol.

akirafist wrote:
That rocks man, can't wait to see the videos!

Yeah I will try having them up soon... I admit I am bit PO'ed only because my cousin was supposed to film me but got sick (not his fault and I'm not mad at him) but my brother was supposed to take his place and only filmed me twice; once leaving halfway through the effect and a second time where he didn't even focus on the magic...

The video of me doing my magic act was filmed on a tripod so hopefully that turned out ok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:21 am 
born to perform.

Heres a link to some video! (more coming soon!)

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=158267

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:02 pm 
Team Penguin

That is an AWESOME story Josh! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:23 am 
born to perform.

Thanks Chris! Make sure you check out the video!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:26 am 
born to perform.

Here is the link to the rest of the video I promised!

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=158288

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:50 am 
born to perform.

Nice video. I noticed how after the ketchup trick you left the mustard sitting on your case. I was thinking that maybe you could incorporate it into an "object to impossible location" trick.