View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Modern Magic Busking
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:53 am 
Penguin

Hello!
I noticed that on all topics(I viewed)about busking people talk about old school magic(cups and balls,linking rings..).What about busking using modern magic(for example:tarantula,watermark,window,kaos,wounded...)?Can you just wear a hat and show a trick to 2 or 3 people and then when crowd gathers throw a hat?Is a table REALLY needed for busking?
Sorry if my questions are stupid but I´m a newbie.
P.S.Paddy sorry if there are any mistakes in typing :?

Post subject: Re: Modern Magic Busking
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:15 pm 

Anything's possible if you can draw a crowd and keep them entertained enough for them to fill your hat. Find something that draws their interest and can play big enough to attract others to come and see what's going on and you'll do fine. Personally, I'm not sure the effects you mentioned (technically, Tarantula is a tool not a trick) are well suited to a street show environment but you won't know what works for you until you try it.

Tables aren't necessary (see Jimmy Talksalot) but they do make a good "anchor" which helps define your space and gives you somewhere to stash your stuff as well as using it as a work surface.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:20 pm 

I'm not that bad, just when every other word is mangled I'll pitch a hissy fit over lack of skills or laziness in spelling. Now, to get to the question. You can do ANY effects that you want to. Your MUST be entertaining, that's all, just entertain the people and hat the heck out of them and you will succeed. I go out, do 10 minute routines with rope and a couple of silks, crank out 5+ shows an hour. Work for an hour, take a break, crank out another hour and break. I work until I reach my goal, or after that when I get too tired and then leave. My goals are simple, $100 a weekday and $500 for a Sat. or Sun. I used to work 7 days a week but now because I'm on dialysis I don't work on Tues and Thursdays and don't get out 'till about 2 PM on Sat.

Don't talk about it koliko987, Just start doing it. If you love what you do, it's not work. I'm lucky I get paid to play all day. I haven't worked for the last 15 years, since I started performing.

Paddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:05 pm 
Penguin

Thank you very much for your replies.I really appreciate it.
DaveV,I wasn´t going to use the effects I listed,I just listed the tricks(by Tarantula I meant Hovering,Haunted Pack) I consider are a good example of modern magic.
Paddy,I think your last statement is very clever.Thank you for sharing your work-time/money goals.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:12 am 
born to perform.

You can do great things with the T.K.O.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:43 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
I'm not that bad, just when every other word is mangled I'll pitch a hissy fit over lack of skills or laziness in spelling. Now, to get to the question. You can do ANY effects that you want to. Your MUST be entertaining, that's all, just entertain the people and hat the heck out of them and you will succeed. I go out, do 10 minute routines with rope and a couple of silks, crank out 5+ shows an hour. Work for an hour, take a break, crank out another hour and break. I work until I reach my goal, or after that when I get too tired and then leave. My goals are simple, $100 a weekday and $500 for a Sat. or Sun. I used to work 7 days a week but now because I'm on dialysis I don't work on Tues and Thursdays and don't get out 'till about 2 PM on Sat.

Don't talk about it koliko987, Just start doing it. If you love what you do, it's not work. I'm lucky I get paid to play all day. I haven't worked for the last 15 years, since I started performing.

Paddy

Beautifully said.