View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The official Horror Movies thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:21 am 
born to perform.

I watched paranormal activity recently. It was really stupid but moderately scary. You should watch it with friends or a significant other. That would be the best setting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 am 
born to perform.

Philal wrote:
I watched paranormal activity recently. It was really stupid but moderately scary. You should watch it with friends or a significant other. That would be the best setting.

I started watching it. The acting was so awful, so I didn't finish it.
When I say the acting was awful, I mean they didn't seem like a real couple or anything, it was obvious that they were actors and all that, and that really killed the mood of the movie for me.

I watched Hostel Part II. It was much better than the first movie, but was still pretty bad. I'm not going to go into detail.
I'm currently watching Pathology.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:59 am 
Penguin

MichaelKras wrote:
Who else wants to see the Nightmare On Elm Street remake in 2010? How about Halloween 2? The next 3D Final Destination?

I just rented and watched the Last House On The Left remake for the third time... what an excellent remake, seriously. I also rented The Devil's Rejects which I thought was great as well.

Anyone here see Orphan? I thought it was quite brilliant... thoughts?

Sorry, I know I'm joining the discussion late, but I'm a hugeeee horror movie fan. I'm really looking forward to the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street later this month. As much as I loved the original, I don't care much for the sequels (although 3 was kind of enjoyable). Freddy went from being the ultimate boogey man in the first one to a bad insult comic by the time Freddy's Dead came out. As associated as the character is with Robert Englund, I'm excited to see Jackie Earle Haley's portrayal. From what I hear, the humor from the later Elm Street films will not be present in the remake at all.

Halloween 2 I thought was horrible. I actually defended Rob Zombie's original Halloween remake to a lot of people who said it was awful. While I didn't think it was great, I didn't think it was bad either. But I just hated the Dr. Loomis and Laurie characters and what they became in Rob Zombie's Halloween 2.

Last House on the Left is in my opinion a perfect example of a good remake. The original has a lot of defenders but was just not a good piece of film making. The acting was poor, the directing was sub-par (Wes Craven's first film I believe?), the continuity was terrible (scenes supposedly in the dead of night appear to be in late afternoon), and worst of all some of the music was just so hokey it made it hard to get too caught up in the serious nature of the subject (rape and murder). The remake managed to let the rape scene be both less explicit and just as brutal as the original. It seemed to be treated more seriously than in the original and Sara Paxton did a really good job of acting the part of a beaten yet strong victim. The remake wasn't perfect but to me this is a case of a movie that should be remade; when the original was a solid idea that wasn't properly executed.

I really enjoyed Orphan and it delivered what fewer and fewer movies seem capable of these days; a truly surprising twist. It's one thing for a movie to deliver a twist that you couldn't figure out, but it's another for a movie to deliver a twist that you didn't know was coming. I had no idea any twist was coming in Orphan, let alone what it would be, and that made the movie that much more enjoyable to me.

Anyway, it's awesome that there are so many horror fans here. Look forward to discussing more with you guys!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:00 pm 
born to perform.

Great to see you join the conversation mcdog.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:45 am 
Penguin

The sequel to [REC] (aptly named [REC]2) is one of those rare films where the sequel is on par with/is better than the original. It's still intensely scary but the first one is a bit better. It's been getting bad reviews from some critics but I'm really not sure why. I enjoyed it so much I actually went to see it in the cinema twice (both times it was the midnight showing which made it so much better). I'd say that the film is more disturbing than terrifying. Sure there are a couple of really jump-out-of-your-seat bits (I did when I saw it the first time and people behind me started laughing at me) but it deals with the events of [REC] and twists them into more of a "demonic possession/excorcist" type of film. But, as with [REC], the last 10 minutes are like "[edited]??"

Go and see it if you can (if it's still playing in theaters).

justjammy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:27 pm 
born to perform.

I watched Legion today, and It wasn't especially good... at all. There were a few pretty good scenes, but that's it. The lighting was never that good, sometimes in the night scenes I couldn't really see what was going on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:31 pm 
born to perform.

My friend saw Splice recently, and apparently it isn't a horror film like the trailers make you believe. He said it was very different. I wouldn't mind checking it out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:49 pm 
born to perform.

Just finished watching The Strangers, and I have to say, that was one of the worst horror movies I've ever seen. It was boring, predictable, and just plain stupid. Not to mention the bad acting and story.

[Update]
I just finished watching Kraken: Tentacles of the Deep. And it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:37 pm 
born to perform.

How about some foriegn movies?

Jisatsu Saakuru (suicide circle) Is probably one of my favorite movies of all time. The acting was amazingly good, the violence and gore is disgustingly awesome (especially the opening scene), and the story is pretty good Its a REALLY confusing movie to watch, at least the first time you watch it. Its probably one of Sion Sono's best works.

Other honorable mentions:

The Red Shoes
Coming Soon
Audition
Tokyo Gore Police (Ridiculously violent and just kind of silly).
Rinngu (Japanese version of "The Ring" Aka "The better one").

Also, Whats the name of the movie where there are people going into a cave and then they go away from the normal path and then there are monsters and stuff? I want to see it :lol:

-Max

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 am 
born to perform.

kbfell wrote:

Jisatsu Saakuru (suicide circle) Is probably one of my favorite movies of all time. The acting was amazingly good, the violence and gore is disgustingly awesome (especially the opening scene), and the story is pretty good Its a REALLY confusing movie to watch, at least the first time you watch it. Its probably one of Sion Sono's best works.

The Red Shoes
Coming Soon
Audition

Also, Whats the name of the movie where there are people going into a cave and then they go away from the normal path and then there are monsters and stuff? I want to see it :lol:

-Max

I've been wanting to see Audition. I may be mistaken, but I think the movie you're referring to is The Descent. If I'm not mistaken, it's Australian.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:05 am 
born to perform.

FlapJackGeorge wrote:
kbfell wrote:

The Red Shoes
Coming Soon
Audition

-Max

I've been wanting to see Audition. I may be mistaken, but I think the movie you're referring to is The Descent. If I'm not mistaken, it's Australian.

Yeah, I think thats it.
Audition is good, but its kind of slow. The main character in Audition is also a main character in Suicide Circle. I forget the actors name, but he's a great actor.

-Max

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:25 pm 
born to perform.

Just finishes watching The Zombie Diaries. Not strictly horror, but a really good movie nonetheless.

Started watching Devil's Diary. (It's a Lifetime original...Strange I know. Anyway, it looks like a complete rip-off of Deathnote, so I thought I'd watch it.)
[Update]
Devil's Diary wasn't bad. Not great by a long shot, but it wasn't bad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:39 pm 
Penguin

I watched Babysitter Wanted a couple nights ago. It actually turned out to be a really good little independant horror flick.

As for foreign horror movies, a few of my favorites:

Battle Royale (Japanese)
Let the Right One In (Swedish)
Inside (French)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:25 pm 
born to perform.

I watched Repossessed last night. It was pretty funny. It's a loose parody of The Exorcist starting Leslie Nielson, and surprisingly enough, Linda Blair.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:09 pm 
born to perform.

Is it me or are VERY few horror movies coming out this year? I don't count remakes, I'm looking for some original ideas here! Man.

On the other hand, I did see that "Let Me In" is coming out this year. It is an American remake of "Let The Right One In."

See the original. Please. It's amazing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next