View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Joys of Being an Impromptu Stooge!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:16 pm 
born to perform.

Okay so it is the summer break here in Korea and English teachers are often farmed out to different schools to teach summer camps. So I'm sent to a school I have never been to before and they don't know that I actually teach a "Magic English" class at my main school. So they book another gal to teach a 2 hour "Magic English" course and ask me to help out. I had actually met this woman before, a Korean woman who had spent ten years teaching Teakwando in Virginia, but I had no idea she was also interested in magic. Anyways the effects she used were all pretty simple but her presentation was outstanding.

At one point she wanted to do a ball and vase routine and she wanted me to put the ball in my pocket and pretend it disappeared when she would produce it in the vase. I was game, I had never been a stooge before and I thought it would be fun. We did some back and fourth byplay with this and at one point I just naturally false transferred the ball as it went in the pocket. As she produced it in the vase I had plenty of misdirection to drop the ball in a different pocket. It naturally played really big when she sent the ball back, I rummaged around in the pocket, acted confused, rummaged around in the other pocket and then acted shocked to find the ball in a different pocket. The kids dropped their jaws and there was a raucous applause.

Anyways, the moral of the story. It can be really fun to use your skill set to make someone else look good. It is also a good thing to put your ego in check from time to time and help a fellow magician look like a star.

Post subject: Re: The Joys of Being an Impromptu Stooge!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:30 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Okay so it is the summer break here in Korea and English teachers are often farmed out to different schools to teach summer camps. So I'm sent to a school I have never been to before and they don't know that I actually teach a "Magic English" class at my main school. So they book another gal to teach a 2 hour "Magic English" course and ask me to help out. I had actually met this woman before, a Korean woman who had spent ten years teaching Teakwando in Virginia, but I had no idea she was also interested in magic. Anyways the effects she used were all pretty simple but her presentation was outstanding.

At one point she wanted to do a ball and vase routine and she wanted me to put the ball in my pocket and pretend it disappeared when she would produce it in the vase. I was game, I had never been a stooge before and I thought it would be fun. We did some back and fourth byplay with this and at one point I just naturally false transferred the ball as it went in the pocket. As she produced it in the vase I had plenty of misdirection to drop the ball in a different pocket. It naturally played really big when she sent the ball back, I rummaged around in the pocket, acted confused, rummaged around in the other pocket and then acted shocked to find the ball in a different pocket. The kids dropped their jaws and there was a raucous applause.

Anyways, the moral of the story. It can be really fun to use your skill set to make someone else look good. It is also a good thing to put your ego in check from time to time and help a fellow magician look like a star.

Sounds great. When I do magic at the school I teach at, I often enlist students in various stooge-related roles.

Btw, is 'Teakwando' the ancient art of attacking people with Scandinavian furniture? Just wondering! :lol:

Sean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:26 pm 
born to perform.

Very cool story eostresh!

It's great to talk and session and even perform with other magicians, no matter the skill level. You can learn something from everyone.

-JT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:47 pm 
born to perform.

sean_mh wrote:

Btw, is 'Teakwando' the ancient art of attacking people with Scandinavian furniture? Just wondering! :lol:

Sean

LOL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:19 pm 
born to perform.

Sorry I spelled it wrong. Here is the actual spelling. νƒœκΆŒλ„