View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: chris angel on A&E
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:23 am 
Penguin

juliegel wrote:
One thing you have to consider with a Bio on A&E is that it is on A&E which also happens to host Mindfreak. So we must also ask ourselves if there was anything bad to say about him would they? The station would not be very smart to trash one of their golden boys but to put him in a shining star of charity and good will would certainly help with his upcoming season. We are magicians, I would hope by now you would know not to just see things at face value.

I was interested in Criss in his first season. He was new and testing new grounds. It was interesting seeing what he would do with the power and influence he had over the perception of his magic. At the end of the first season I thought he had done ok. Sure I spotted a bunch of camera tricks and stooges but I still kept it together.
Things might get better in the second season. They did not. Half way through the second season I was done. An effect without the use of cameras or stooges came once in a blue moon and it just was not worth it. On top of this Criss had begun doing stupid things such as lying half naked over Houdinis grave or calling out fellow magicians on national TV. His ego began rising so high that even the many chains around his neck could not weigh it down. He was given a contract to construct a show at the Luxor which was universally panned across the board. Great to see that the man who is currently in charge of our collective image has an ego and talent comparable to Gob Bluths.

If all this were not enough for you I can give a little fact that I picked up from someone that worked on the show. No this is not some sound guy for a day, this is a member of the surreal family from the first couple of seasons. You remember the grouping of people who wandered around in the desert at the interludes of the show. Well I just happened to get a ride from one of them and boy did he have a story. The jist was that when the Luxor wanted the stage show they also wanted the family to be apart if it. They offered the whole cast of the family a large sum of money (a couple million a piece) to sign a contract that would last only a few years (forgive me if I am wrong but I believe it was 2 years) and they turned it down. He told me that the decision was almost universal that for that amount they would not want to spend another 5 minutes working with Criss. His ego and attitude had pushed away those that had helped him bring his show up to begin with.

Remember Banachek from the first few seasons? Whatever happened to him being a consult on the show? Well it just so happens that my little chat also included the story of why Banachek was fired.
Banachek as we know contributed a lot to the show even though this was never mentioned in the actual show. Banachek was asked for an interview for radio (I believe, might have been a mag) The interview was covered a handful of things such as his personal work, future projects, and a mention of his involvement on Mindfreak. Bancheck acknowledged the question and gave the standard pleasant thing that you say about something in an interview.
Now as soon as Criss heard the interview he told Banachek that he was fired. Not because he had spoken poorly of Criss but because he did not speak more about him and his show. It was Banacheks interview but Criss could not stand to have someone else steal some spotlight.
This is what I was told by someone who saw it first hand. Kind of puts the whole Phenomenon fiasco in perspective.

Oh, to wrap this up I don't like Criss.

As always,
Dylan

I'm guessing there was some pretty big exaggerating going on there (not from you, from the one you got a ride from). I find it almost impossible to believe that the "surreal family" was offered a sum of money anywhere near a couple million a piece for a two year contract. Perhaps two million to be split collectively, but individually I'm not buying it (even collectively sounds like too much). Actually I would find it impossible to believe that they'd be offered one million a piece considering their contribution to the show would for the most part be pretty negligible in regards to selling tickets. Like him or hate him, Criss Angel alone is the name that people are going to see.

Perhaps you know since you're aquainted with one or more of the surreal family, but what are they doing now to make money? Are any of them making anywhere near the 7 figure mark? Do you really think they would turn down making that kind of life changing money over a couple year period because they don't like their boss? In the real world, plenty of people don't like their boss but put up with it to try and ultimately make a better life for themselves. I have no proof one way or the other, but my guess is it was a very exaggerated story to illustrate how little they think of him.

And for the record, I am not a fan of Mindfreak in the least.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:48 pm 
born to perform.

Like I said, I am not 100% sure on the actual numbers. I do know that it was a couple million a piece which to be honest is not that much today. As for the amount of years like I said I believe it was 2 but it might have been more. I doubt it but I will not throw out the possibility.

I do know what he is doing right now and I am pretty sure it does not come close to a 7 figure sum. He is very happy with what he is doing and that was his point. He would rather work on what he wanted for less then have to work with Criss. He choose his own personal happiness over the money. Not everyone likes to sell out at the first opportunity.

As always,
Dylan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:44 am 
Penguin

I thought Criss had the potential to "rescue" magic from its cheesy sequinned image, and make it more punk-rock cool. I have no problem with someone using stooges in tricks--they're just another form of gimmick. But what I learned is that 1) I like Criss' effects, and 2) I can't stand the man's personality. I think it goes way too far into "I'm so great" rather than "this effect is so great"--all this propaganda about how Criss has a mindset, a spirituality, that enables him to do these things...the deep, pained breathing during the effects as if this is torture on him, the 20 minutes of hype before two minutes of effect. When he was a hungry street magician, it was AWESOME. He found Klayton (of Celldweller) and put out some amazing music--not the cheesy hair-band stuff, but some really, really good industrial/rock/goth-metal stuff I like. After two CD's Klayton stopped working with him.

He's kind of like the Peter Murphy of magic (if you get the Bauhaus reference)--lots of talent, but so prissy with ego that his own mates won't work with him for long. All that stuff about hot girls and fast cars and bragging about his success turns me off. I hate to be crude, but I get the sense Criss masturbates to his own show. (sorry of that last sentence is over the line and strikes my post--but it's exactly how it feels)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:55 pm 
born to perform.

I gotta' be honest. I've been watching this sixth season of mindfreak when they are available on hulu and some of the stuff does seem pretty legit. For example, the Luxor Walk was really excellent IMO. That's coming from a guy who usually doesn't like the stuff Criss does. Seriously, go watch the Luxor Walk and I think you'll be pretty impressed. Also the 100 Gone has me stumped, as well as the most recent event Smash. The Grand Canyon Jump was about the most fake thing I've ever seen, though. That's just my thoughts on some of the big events.

I think there is only one more episode for this season. It'll be interesting to see if Criss comes back for a seventh season or if this is his last.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:18 am 
born to perform.

The new season's kick a s s . I have been watching them also and the 100 Gone rules.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:09 pm 
born to perform.

Well, season 6 has wrapped up. The levitation vanish was a pretty awkward ending to the season. Honestly it was pretty boring, and since no audience members were around, pretty much everyone (including myself) will just think it's a big camera trick. Funny how he said that was supposed to top his Luxor levitation, IMO practically any of his other levitations looked better than that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:19 pm 
born to perform.

There's a pretty steadfast rule that makes good magic seem magical. You have to eliminate all explanations except that it was done by real magic. Did you think that I switched the cards? They were in your hands. Did I hide the coin? No, it was in full view. This is what the audience needs to remember. Not...oh, he flew 100 feet in the air and vanished. Cool special effects.

-JT