View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Psypher by Robert Smith
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:48 am 
born to perform.

I recently stopped using the note pad method (it was just too awkward to do with the spirals on top) and switched to the wallet and card case method.

I have to say- dang. I should have used the card case method from the start. The first routine Robert teaches utilizing the card case method is a real winner. Someone thinks of a card and you remove the deck and pull out their thought of card.

Sounds stupid? Well this routine uses no sleights so it's extremely easy to do and you can REALLY build on the suspense.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:43 pm 
born to perform.

I was very skeptical of the card case method at first too. I wanted to completely eliminate the use of cards for this feat of mind reading, however after testing out the routine dealing with spelling the name with the cards and thinking stop. I will keep the card case gimmick. As much as i hated having to include cards in the name reveal, i really think it adds an element to it.

In Magic,
Tyler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:01 am 
Penguin

so you get a "special" sharpie, wallet and some secret stuff for this trick to work. i personally don't like the wallet and card case methods because of the presentation. so, can you tell me what do you need for the notepad method? do you need that secret stuff, a normal notepad that you can buy anywhere and a normal sharpie or do you need that "special" sharpie or just a pen...?
so basically, is a sharpie gimmicked for notepad method and a notepad itself, and if you use the notepad, do you need refills for something and how often if you do need?
thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:09 am 
born to perform.

ninca wrote:
so you get a "special" sharpie, wallet and some secret stuff for this trick to work. i personally don't like the wallet and card case methods because of the presentation. so, can you tell me what do you need for the notepad method? do you need that secret stuff, a normal notepad that you can buy anywhere and a normal sharpie or do you need that "special" sharpie or just a pen...?
so basically, is a sharpie gimmicked for notepad method and a notepad itself, and if you use the notepad, do you need refills for something and how often if you do need?
thank you!

You sound like you own Psypher, but you're asking questions like you don't. :?

Anyway, for all three methods you will need the special pen. The gimmick is essentially two parts and the trick won't work if you are missing one. For the note pad method, you will need a note pad, the pen and the "secret stuff".

Oh and by the way, it's not a Sharpie it's an Expo dry-erase marker. Robert teaches you how to turn it into a Sharpie if you want (I did and it took about two minutes).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:28 pm 
Penguin

duds wrote:
ninca wrote:
thank you!

You sound like you own Psypher, but you're asking questions like you don't. :?

Anyway, for all three methods you will need the special pen. The gimmick is essentially two parts and the trick won't work if you are missing one. For the note pad method, you will need a note pad, the pen and the "secret stuff".

Oh and by the way, it's not a Sharpie it's an Expo dry-erase marker. Robert teaches you how to turn it into a Sharpie if you want (I did and it took about two minutes).

i know it sounded weird, i didn't want to bother you with my reasons, but now i have to explain what i meant... i don't own psypher. when i said i didn't like wallet and card case methods, i meant they don't make much sence to me. if i was doing mind-reading, i wouldn't tell someone to write something on a card case, but on a paper (notepad) and i don't like taking that paper and putting it into my wallet. if i was a spectator, it would be pretty suspicious to me... anyway, thank you for your answer.
can you just tell me do you need refills for that "secret stuff" and for Expo dry-erase marker??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:44 pm 
born to perform.

The only two reasons you would need a refill for the secret thing is if you went and destroyed it (cut it the wrong way, dropped it in your fireplace...) or you want more. And you would need a refill for the pen if it ran out of ink.

In my opinion, if you present it right, the card case method is the best. Especially when you do any of the card routines Robert teaches on the DVD.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:03 pm 
Penguin

well, if you are doing a card trick, you could use a card case, that's fine.
i don't know if i'm going to buy this, it seems great, but i'm not from the USA and i might have problems with refills of the marker if it runs out of ink because here we probably have different type and brand of the markers...i already had the same problem with the super sharpie..
thank you. i will think about psypher a little more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:20 pm 
born to perform.

Hmm...maybe you should email Paper Crane and ask them if you can convert the Expo to whatever markers you use in your country. They respond quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:39 pm 
born to perform.

If one has a gimmick that utilizes a Sharpie or dry-erase ink and it runs out, there is a way to make it work again. Just take a Sharpie or dry-erase marker and hold them so that the point on your gimmick touches against the point of the fresh pen. Invert them so that the fresh pen is above the gimmick and hold for 10 minutes. If patience is lacking or there is the desire to keep the points together while engaging in other activities, roll the items up together in paper.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:19 pm 
born to perform.

EZrhythm wrote:
If one has a gimmick that utilizes a Sharpie or dry-erase ink and it runs out, there is a way to make it work again. Just take a Sharpie or dry-erase marker and hold them so that the point on your gimmick touches against the point of the fresh pen. Invert them so that the fresh pen is above the gimmick and hold for 10 minutes. If patience is lacking or there is the desire to keep the points together while engaging in other activities, roll the items up together in paper.

Sounds good!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:35 pm 
born to perform.

I have the Xpert and the method works with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:34 pm 
Penguin

EZrhythm wrote:

i'm thinking about it now and it seems to me like that should work. thanks for the idea!
ofcourse, i'm going to try that with the normal sharpie first. i just happen to have one that's out of ink...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:19 am 
Penguin

I thought I'd post my review for PSYPHER, as well:

I received by package for PSYPHER about 2 weeks ago, but I decided to play around with it a bit, and test out this bigger, better and stronger improvement to the original Universal Impression (which I will say, is probably my favorite and the best product from PCM - although, with PSYPHER out, PSYPHER takes the win).

DVD quality was top notch, as with all of PCM's releases, and Robert does a great and fantastic job teaching you the ins and outs of PSYPHER, and he throws in a lot of hints and tips to help you out and more...also included are a few routines, but because the gimmick allows you perform 'miracles', there's an endless possiblities of how and what you can perform with PSYPHER.

PSYPHER is very easy and simple to get the hang of, and because of those factors, it allows you to focus on your presentation, and with a strong presentation, it can really hit the spectator really hard, and leave a rememerable impact on them - it's indeed a really strong effect. One factor that I believe PSYPHER really depends on is believability - this isn't something you can 'master' in one practice session or in a day (in a presentation aspect), so the more you perform PSYPHER and the more you focus on your presentation, the better the reactions and better the impact and how well the spectators believe what you're doing.

I really like the routines Robert throws in, especially his 'Name and Card Routine' - although, the basic 'E-Z' and the 'Business Card Wallet' are also up there... these 3 are my most performed at this moment, although, the 'E-Z' and 'Business Card Wallet' was also taught in the UI DVD beforehand. His 'Name and Card Routine' was something that Robert taught me, and I feel in love with, and I'm glad to see it on this DVD for everyone to learn and perform.

*I will note in advance, to watch the DVD fully, as you must cut your gimmick to the demensions you want - I've cut mine so not only does it fit in the wallet, but also on the back of a playing card - if you have the DVD, you know what I mean... so know matter what effect I feel like performing at the time, I'm always safe.

Also, the marker used in the DVD and included is an 'Expo Eraser Board Marker', but Robert does teach you how to transfer the gimmick onto a 'Sharpie' - also, the gimmick pad is as well transferable, so you can move it from one surface to another.

My only con is you still need the 3rd piece to clear everything up - which takes less than 5 seconds- those who own UI, PSYPHER, or another other IP will know what I mean... other than that, PSYPHER is gold.

My recommendation: Highly Recommended - 9/10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:28 am 
born to perform.

Hey Duds, do you know if the new version of this effect has a better gimmick in the pen than Universal Impression had??

I really liked Universal Impression, but I found that in darker environments I was having issues seeing the impressions I was getting. I tried to make my own pen, but it ultimately didn't work either, so the trick just kind of sits around not getting much use.

If the new version has a better pen, I may go ahead and order the replacement pen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:12 am 
born to perform.

No intention to step on Gump's question but I though I'd share this;
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... &forum=218

For those who own the fantastic Psypher effect, a new and fairly cool tip:

The gimmick apparently has a clear plastic protective "film" that can easily be peeled away at the front.

This is not mentioned in the DVD or anywhere else I have seen thus far. It seems that the imp works even better once this clear film is removed.

This type of film is typical of many products, but it isn't obvious and perhaps some may decide to just leave it on. The gimmick seems to be very durable and the removal of the film would not seem to be detrimental.

Check it out - Psypher is a fantastic product!

YO, Gimp! 'Just ran across this post for ya.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... &start=120

Last night a cop had just seen the mentalist (season premiere this Thurs) and told me he was thinking of a number and what is it. I himmed and hogged and changed the subject but he persisted. We were outside in the dark only ambient lighting mind you.

I remembered I had the deck of cards with me. I had only minature post it notes also and didn't want the writing to be that small. I removed the deck and told him how writing reinforces a thought, muscle memory and all that.

He wrote the number down and erased it. I removed the cards and easily saw the number in the dark (had glasses on to see the cards of course). The number was 35. I removed the 3H and 5H and held them up back facing him. I told him I was committed now and asked for the number. He said 35, I turned the cards around, priceless.