View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Quiting magic? What should I do?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:56 pm 
Penguin

My parents were never too supportive of being an artist to make a living. In the end, they found a way to make me go to college and get a degree. Quite honestly, I'm glad they did. But I am back to performing. Ultimately, it's your life. Your parents cannot make all your decisions for you. Your parents wont always agree with your descisions, but if they really love you they will find ways to be supportive. When your father tears down your magic, is it not possible he is trying to be supportive but in the wrong way?

When you are 18 and you consider doing magic again, as cold as this may sound, I would not suggest considering your father's feelings on the matter. YOUR happiness and YOUR lifestyle should fit YOU and no one else. No one can make you happy but you. In the end, perhaps your father's opinion will change.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:17 pm 
born to perform.

Kyle, thanks for sharing your experiences! Archangel as well. It's good for people to know that others have gone through the same thing.

I've learned a lot from this thread.

-JT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:42 pm 
Team Penguin

no problem...mine goes a little deeper than just magic, but it's still the same principal of the situation. You only live life once, so do what makes yourself happy, cause in the end...you don't want to have any regrets. Don't let others hold you back from the things you truly enjoy. I put up with it for longer than I should have; and looking back, I should have stood up for myself MUCH earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:37 am 
born to perform.

it's called "tough love".
Your father is just trying to help you do what is best for you in the long run.

You'll realize your father was right and respect him for doing this when you're older.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:47 pm 
Penguin

Thanks guys, I thought literally I was the only one going through this... Nice to know that I am not alone on this. I wish my Dad,and parents were like Daniel Garcia's... The Magician, how they take part of his magic, and enjoy it, and support him... Well... My dad said not to do that EVIL magic, and the magic I'm doing isn't evil... So really I ain't breaking any rules? :D

Btw, yeah I am going to move out, and leave with my best friend.... So Magic is ALWAYS gonna be with me. Question is though... Should I just pratice magic outside my house?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:13 pm 
born to perform.

When I was your age, I did things that my parents didn't approve of. Probably self destructive things - nothing as benign as practicing magic though. I would say a cautious "yes" you might be able to practice outside the home.

You could practice with coins. That is pretty safe. Get a few Kennedy half dollars, Englsih pennies from your local coin shop, a copper/silver gaffed coin, a coin shell. Simple, inexpensive things that should go unnoticed. Find an electronic copy of Modern Coin Magic to read on-line or perhaps your library has that book. There is enough to keep you busy in that book for years.

Start collecting coins as a hobby. That gives you a reason to have odd coins and a reason to shop for coins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:41 pm 
Penguin

tbwendt wrote:
When I was your age, I did things that my parents didn't approve of. Probably self destructive things - nothing as benign as practicing magic though. I would say a cautious "yes" you might be able to practice outside the home.

You could practice with coins. That is pretty safe. Get a few Kennedy half dollars, Englsih pennies from your local coin shop, a copper/silver gaffed coin, a coin shell. Simple, inexpensive things that should go unnoticed. Find an electronic copy of Modern Coin Magic to read on-line or perhaps your library has that book. There is enough to keep you busy in that book for years.

Start collecting coins as a hobby. That gives you a reason to have odd coins and a reason to shop for coins.

Pretty good idea, I do coin magic too, all general magic :lol:
Yeah I don't like you know disobeying my parents, Im not a "goodie goodie" but I don't see the point in obeying something thats pointless. But I guess I can practice Magic outside... anyway my dad might be moving out...:(