View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Playstation's Move or Xbox 360's Kinect
Playstation's Move 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Xbox 360's Kinect 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Both 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Neither 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
I don't play games 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
What are those? 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Buy Kinect then Move later 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Buy Move then Kinect Later 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Buy both at a later date together 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
By both at a later date but seperately 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18
Author Message
 Post subject: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:39 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 635
Location: Canada
Ok well I'd like your honest answer about this, I'm thinking about buying that Playstation Move sometime in the future but there's something that's stopping me right now.

Now based on purely the specs of each thing, would you rather buy Playstation Move for $100 but also to play most of the games you'd need to buy the Navigator Controller as well and if you want to have a friend play with you at the same time you'd need to buy the Move Motion and Navigator Controllers again to play with a friend at the same time and pay a grand total of over $220 for it.

Or would you rather get Kinect with it's voice and facial recognition and no need to pay for controller because there are none and pay $150 for Kinect?

I personally will be buying both because I like all systems equally but I'm sure that there will probably be fanboy's and fangirl's from each side on here so I'd like before you say anything to stay objective and not say one or the other is going to or does suck or that one system is better than the other because I'd like this thread to stay open for longer than a few days.

Also please comment and tell why you clicked your answer in a non objective way, so nothing like, "I picked Move because Xbox 360 sucks." you can phrase it something like this, "I picked Move because I don't really like Xbox's games because it doesn't fit my style.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:22 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 942
Location: Western Australia
Well since you cant buy Kinect yet you have to buy move first.

i have all three consoles and Move for the PS3. Most likely will get Kinect when it comes out. As for Move its far better than the Wii, even with Wii's attachment thingy on the bottom. As for the Navigational controller, its seems to be useless at this stage. Pretty much none of the launch games require it (possibly heavy rain move addition might??). So you wont need to buy it until more games come out. At the moment the games are limited to the inevitable party style wii style games. I like sport champions its good. I recommend buying Move (two controllers) dont buy the navigational controller yet. Or wait till there's some game you really want to play using Move. The motion is really good however the games are a bit lacking now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:01 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 635
Location: Canada
keepitbottled wrote:
Well since you cant buy Kinect yet you have to buy move first.

i have all three consoles and Move for the PS3. Most likely will get Kinect when it comes out. As for Move its far better than the Wii, even with Wii's attachment thingy on the bottom. As for the Navigational controller, its seems to be useless at this stage. Pretty much none of the launch games require it (possibly heavy rain move addition might??). So you wont need to buy it until more games come out. At the moment the games are limited to the inevitable party style wii style games. I like sport champions its good. I recommend buying Move (two controllers) dont buy the navigational controller yet. Or wait till there's some game you really want to play using Move. The motion is really good however the games are a bit lacking now.


I actually did mean to say I pre-ordered Kinect and will buy Move ay a later date, maybe for Christmas but highly doubtful, I would like to buy the Sly Cooper Trilogy when it comes out for the PS3 and also The Fight looks pretty cool but that's about it before Christmas. There's not a whole lot of games exclusive to PS3 that uses Move coming out in the New Year so I could probably wait a few months and see if the price goes down or not. I doubt it but you never know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:43 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 May 2004
Posts: 5654
Location: IL
I'm getting kinect foooo shooo. I personally wouldn't buy the move, but thats just me. I already have the Wii and there is nothing with the Move that truly separates it. Moves games are currently mediocre at best, maybe down the line they will start doing revolutionary things with it. But currently, there is nothing special.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:57 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 07 Oct 2008
Posts: 2167
Location: Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White
Okay, here's the deal:

Kinect is probably the worst gaming device ever created for the 21st century. Now, admittedly, it is a pretty good device for watching videos, chatting with friends, and doing pretty much anything non-game related. (Or at least as far as I've seen from presentations of Kinect)

Move, on the other hand, is probably the advancement in motion games people have been looking for since Wii. Playstation Move is essentially the Wii on steroids (the good kind, not the kind that shrinks your penis and makes you bald). What I mean is, it's basically Wii with: Much better control (6 gyro-censors, 1:1 tracking, etc.), Better Graphics (full 1080p is, obviously, possible), plus the PSEye adds visual recognition and camera possibilities. Playstation move, again, was designed with Harcore and leisurely (or non-gamers) in mind, and the games being released follow suit. (Killzone 3, Socom, The Shoot, Heroes on the Move, Sorcery, etc.) Move is designed for everyone, but more to the point, it's designed for gaming, and I think that's mainly where it differs from Kinect.

While Kinect is (hardly) designed for gaming as well, the gaming aspect (or at least what we've seen of it so far) is a blatant Wii knock-off that hardly looks appealing to anyone over the age of, say 9 year olds. Where Kinect really fails is in the fact that (as Kevin Butler said) it has no buttons. But in my opinion, what is more important is that it has no analog-sticks. Why is this such a big deal? Analog sticks mean movement (movement in the sense of distance, as in from this tree to that town over there), with Kinect, movement is limited to the small space around you. (This means games like FPS', Hack n' Slash's, Adventure games, Sandboxes, etc. all have to be "On-the-Rail", something most gamers aren't really too keen to. (Granted, I haven't got a huge problem with them, but I, and I imagine a lot of other people, want more variety than just that.) What really makes a game fun is feeling like you're in control, like you're engaged in the character's life. With Kinect is seems almost as if you're limited to interacting with the character or only controlling basic movements of the character, in my opinion.

Overall, I feel PSMove is much better for gaming and really enjoying the gaming experience. Kinect is more for viewing media and social communication.

I dunno about you, but I'm much more willing to dish out a hundred plus dollars to enhance my gaming experience than to make watching videos and talking to people a bit more convenient.

afi wrote:
I'm getting kinect foooo shooo.
Quote:
Can't imagine why...

I personally wouldn't buy the move, but thats just me. I already have the Wii and there is nothing with the Move that truly separates it.
Quote:
Though that's far from true, I do agree with your next point, which is why I am also not about to buy Move. However, I definitely do plan on buying it in the future.

Moves games are currently mediocre at best, maybe down the line they will start doing revolutionary things with it. But currently, there is nothing special.

They have already demo'd and announced things they are doing with it that can be considered revolutionary. But the product itself is already revolutionary in terms of motion control.


Also, to OP: The Move is not $100 as you stated, alone, it is $90 (Eye+Motion controller) (Yes, buying it wityh Sports Champions is a wise investment, but to be fair to the product alone, it is only $90)

-Flappy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:18 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 635
Location: Canada
FlapJackGeorge wrote:
Okay, here's the deal:

Kinect is probably the worst gaming device ever created for the 21st century. Now, admittedly, it is a pretty good device for watching videos, chatting with friends, and doing pretty much anything non-game related. (Or at least as far as I've seen from presentations of Kinect) what did I say about not saying one thing is going to be better than the other? Did you even read my entire post?

While Kinect is (hardly) designed for gaming as well, the gaming aspect (or at least what we've seen of it so far) is a blatant Wii knock-off that hardly looks appealing to anyone over the age of, say 9 year olds. So you're saying I'm 9 years old now? Has anyone even watched Gamer with Gerard Butler? You know within 10-15 years there might be something like that for people that want more out of gaming, obviously you couldn't make it where real people are dying but the basic principle behind it could be something like paintballs but the player would see something like people's heads being blown to bits.
Overall, I feel PSMove is much better for gaming and really enjoying the gaming experience. Kinect is more for viewing media and social communication.

I dunno about you, but I'm much more willing to dish out a hundred plus dollars to enhance my gaming experience than to make watching videos and talking to people a bit more convenient.

afi wrote:
I'm getting kinect foooo shooo.
Quote:
Can't imagine why...

I personally wouldn't buy the move, but thats just me. I already have the Wii and there is nothing with the Move that truly separates it.
Quote:
Though that's far from true, I do agree with your next point, which is why I am also not about to buy Move. However, I definitely do plan on buying it in the future.

Moves games are currently mediocre at best, maybe down the line they will start doing revolutionary things with it. But currently, there is nothing special.

They have already demo'd and announced things they are doing with it that can be considered revolutionary. But the product itself is already revolutionary in terms of motion control.


Also, to OP: The Move is not $100 as you stated, alone, it is $90 (Eye+Motion controller) (Yes, buying it wityh Sports Champions is a wise investment, but to be fair to the product alone, it is only $90) ok then click on this link http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductD ... 5FID=78137 and tell me why it says $99.99 for it? Also don't forget that to make the games feel more realistic you'd need to buy the navigational controller as well and if you want to play with a friend at the same time you'd need to buy the Navigation and Motion Controllers again which will bring the grand total to about $220 after taxes while on the other hand Kinect is about $150 and there's no need to buy anything else except the games, no more attachments and there's going to be better games for Kinect in the near future, have you seen Child Of Eden? that looks absolutely amazing and will be awesome for visuals. Also because of the built in webcam you can put on your own things for the games, like say they come out with a guitar game that uses an air guitar (there's tons of people who love that idea) but you don't like the guitar that you're playing, well if you have your own guitar you can have it in front of the camera and it'll take some pictures of it and now you can play with your own guitar.

-Flappy


So now that the fanboy has spoken PLEASE READ THIS and try to keep your answer on why you selected your response in a NON OBJECTIVE WAY.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:21 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 1802
Location: ~loony~ I wish i knew
Flapjack was actually being pretty fair with that one. Your arguement with the gamer movie in mind is unbelievably invalid because none of these things come at all close to that. He didn't even attack you and pretty much said what the majority of gamers are thinking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:08 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 635
Location: Canada
harrybob10 wrote:
Flapjack was actually being pretty fair with that one. Your arguement with the gamer movie in mind is unbelievably invalid because none of these things come at all close to that. He didn't even attack you and pretty much said what the majority of gamers are thinking.


How can it be a bad thing when it isn't even out yet? His exact words were, "Kinect is probably the worst gaming device ever created for the 21st century." Now would you please tell me how that's NON OBJECTIVE? I don't think you can be anymore objective than with that statement. Also how does he even know what it's going to be like? It doesn't even come out for another 38 days and the stuff at E3 and Gamescon are just rough demo's of the games, they're not the finished product.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:35 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 1901
They probably both suck and won't work as you hope. Unless I can play Battlefield by pretending to hold a gun in my hand and having it work perfectly, I'm not getting it. I own a 360 anyway. Go buy a few decks of cards.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:38 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 635
Location: Canada
Philal wrote:
They probably both suck and won't work as you hope. Unless I can play Battlefield by pretending to hold a gun in my hand, I'm not getting it. Go buy a few decks of cards.


Actually I am going to be buying a brick of those Sentinels when the guy at my local magic shop comes back from vacation, also take a look at this:
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductD ... t_id=78143
I know it kind of looks like one of those guns from Halo but still, it looks pretty cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:28 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 07 Oct 2008
Posts: 2167
Location: Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White
In response to your red texts:
1.
Quote:
what did I say about not saying one thing is going to be better than the other? Did you even read my entire post?

Obviously if I'm going to buy one thing over another it's because I think it's better. You can't ask someone to pick one thing over another without giving their reason why. (There reason, which is usually going to be that one is better.)

2.
Quote:
So you're saying I'm 9 years old now? Has anyone even watched Gamer with Gerard Butler? You know within 10-15 years there might be something like that for people that want more out of gaming, obviously you couldn't make it where real people are dying but the basic principle behind it could be something like paintballs but the player would see something like people's heads being blown to bits.

In this case, I have no idea what you're talking about. You clearly, somehow misunderstood what I was talking about. And no, I'm not saying you're 9, I'm saying I don't think anyone over the age of 9 wants to play with a virtual tiger friend.

3.
Quote:
ok then click on this link http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductD ... 5FID=78137 and tell me why it says $99.99 for it? Also don't forget that to make the games feel more realistic you'd need to buy the navigational controller as well and if you want to play with a friend at the same time you'd need to buy the Navigation and Motion Controllers again which will bring the grand total to about $220 after taxes while on the other hand Kinect is about $150 and there's no need to buy anything else except the games, no more attachments and there's going to be better games for Kinect in the near future, have you seen Child Of Eden? that looks absolutely amazing and will be awesome for visuals. Also because of the built in webcam you can put on your own things for the games, like say they come out with a guitar game that uses an air guitar (there's tons of people who love that idea) but you don't like the guitar that you're playing, well if you have your own guitar you can have it in front of the camera and it'll take some pictures of it and now you can play with your own guitar.

First of all, you linked to the Sports Champions bundle. That's why it says "$99.99", Move doesn't require you to buy the Sports Champions bundle, it only requires the PSEye ($40) and the Motion Controller ($50), bringing the total to $90. (It has been clearly stated by others that the navigation controller at this point is a bit pointless. Second, you don't have to pay for your friends controllers, that's their job. You said "there's going to be better games for Kinect in the future." Well, what are they? You didn't link to any sources, so as far as I know, they still aren't. And they may be better Kinect games, but that's not really saying much is it? Child of Eden is available for Kinect and Move, so I don't know where you're going with that. And yes, I have seen footage of it. It really isn't that impressive. There's already loads of flash games online that have a similar concept. And in terms of visuals, it looks gimmicky. It may have good graphics, but I play games for enjoyment, not visuals. (Also, saying it looks amazing is an opinion, and really holds no ground here.) I'm not gonna comment on the guitar thing other than, it's called a gimmick. It's cool, sure, and it will be cool for a while, but it's not gonna keep you coming back for more. Honestly.

Also, I'd like to make clear, I'm not a fanboy. Heck, I know loads of Xbox fanboys who think Kinect looks like rubbish, but again, that's beside the point.



KingOfNynex2003 wrote:
How can it be a bad thing when it isn't even out yet? His exact words were, "Kinect is probably the worst gaming device ever created for the 21st century." Now would you please tell me how that's NON OBJECTIVE?
Quote:
King, you're missquoting me. After that sentence, I said "Or at least as far as I've seen from presentations of Kinect." I was clearly only basing what I said on what I had seen. And for that, you can't be mad at me for having an opinion. The fact that I did follow up by stating that it was simply my opinion makes it non-objective.

I don't think you can be anymore objective than with that statement.
Quote:
Oh, I definitely can, but I haven't come here with an agenda to attack you and your opinions, so I choose not to.

Also how does he even know what it's going to be like? It doesn't even come out for another 38 days and the stuff at E3 and Gamescon are just rough demo's of the games, they're not the finished product.
Quote:
Did you miss the part of E3 where they said those games would be available...as in for purchase? As in, they are the finished product.



I will admit, my goal was to say why I thought Move was (and is) better, but you can't honestly ask people to pick one and explain why, without encouraging debate.


Also, King, I'm confused. The title of this thread is "Like to find out people's views on this", but when I gave my view, you got all defensive. Simply because I disagreed with you.

Philal, actually, the Socom demo looks quite impressive, and though it may not be an amazing selling point for realistic gunplay, I think you still ought to check it out.


Source:
Child of Eden for PS3

PSEye for $40

Playstation Move Motion Controller for $50


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:23 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 635
Location: Canada
There's only 9 games available for the Move right now and 3 of them have already been out for a while so why wouldn't you buy the Sports Champion Bundle? Most of the games now aren't exactly all that good, except for the one's that have been out for a while now that are compatible with Move, here's a list of titles so far that have come out:
King Fu Rider
Sports Champions
Start The Party
Eyepet
Racquet Sports
High Velocity Bowling
Toy Story 3
Heavy Rain
and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR '11

Most of the games right now aren't all that good except for Heavy Rain Sports Champions and maybe Start The Party. I saw this video on Youtube where this guy said it's actually better with the Navigator controller to do most of the games that are available right now and make the gameplay easier and more realistic. Actually come to think of it, Eyepet is kind of likr Kinectimals in a way and Sports Champions is like Kinect Sports and Start The Party is like Kinect Adventures. Also there's more games coming out at the launch of Kinect than you might think, here's a list of the games that are coming out at the release of Kinect:
Kinect Sports
Sonic Free Riders
Kinect Joy Ride
Kinect Adventures (with sensor)
Dance Central
Kinectimals
Motion Sports
Your Shape Fitness Evolved
and The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout
these are some games that are coming out within a month of its release:
Brunswick Pro Bowling
Dance Masters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (controller and controller free like with Move)
EA Sports Active 2.0 Bundle
Zumba Fitness: Join The Party
Now granted, the last 3 are also going to be on Move as well but as you can see there is a lot of games coming out for both Move and Kinect but I think I'll wait a while before buying Move and see if it goes down in price but I highly doubt it will because the Wiimote and Nunchuk's haven't went down in price in who knows how many years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:12 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 07 Oct 2008
Posts: 2167
Location: Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White
KingOfNynex2003 wrote:
There's only 9 games available for the Move right now and 3 of them have already been out for a while so why wouldn't you buy the Sports Champion Bundle?
Quote:
I never said I wouldn't. The only argument I made regarding the Sports Champions bundle is that it isn't an accurate representation of the base cost of Move. It's a good deal. you save $30 on the game.

Most of the games now aren't exactly all that good, except for the one's that have been out for a while now that are compatible with Move, here's a list of titles so far that have come out:
King Fu Rider
Sports Champions
Start The Party
Eyepet
Racquet Sports
High Velocity Bowling
Toy Story 3
Heavy Rain
and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR '11

Most of the games right now aren't all that good except for Heavy Rain Sports Champions and maybe Start The Party. I saw this video on Youtube where this guy said it's actually better with the Navigator controller to do most of the games that are available right now and make the gameplay easier and more realistic.
Quote:
Again, my point was only that it isn't necessary. I said nothing about it improving or diminishing the gameplay. But you can use a regular PS controller instead, so you don't have to dish out the extra cash for the navigation controller. (I probably will end up doing it once I buy Move in early 2011 (around the time Sorcery comes out).

Actually come to think of it, Eyepet is kind of likr Kinectimals in a way and Sports Champions is like Kinect Sports and Start The Party is like Kinect Adventures.
Quote:
In the sense that it is the same sort of concept, yes.

Also there's more games coming out at the launch of Kinect than you might think
Quote:
To be honest, I don't really care what games are coming out for Kinect. At least not right now. When I see them successfully release an FPS on Kinect that isn't on-the-rails, I will look forward to seeing it in action, but since I don't currently own a 360, I'm not about to buy one just for Kinect.

, here's a list of the games that are coming out at the release of Kinect:
Kinect Sports
Sonic Free Riders
Kinect Joy Ride
Kinect Adventures (with sensor)
Dance Central
Kinectimals
Motion Sports
Your Shape Fitness Evolved
and The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout
these are some games that are coming out within a month of its release:
Brunswick Pro Bowling
Dance Masters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (controller and controller free like with Move)
EA Sports Active 2.0 Bundle
Zumba Fitness: Join The Party
Now granted, the last 3 are also going to be on Move as well but as you can see there is a lot of games coming out for both Move and Kinect but I think I'll wait a while before buying Move and see if it goes down in price
Quote:
It's actually quite cheap. In my opinion anyway. I understand how Kinect is a better investment in terms of price, since you only have to pay once ever, but Kinect simply doesn't offer what I'm after.

but I highly doubt it will because the Wiimote and Nunchuk's haven't went down in price in who knows how many years.

True about the Wii-remote and nunchuck, but you also have to understand that Sony and Nintendo operate differently. Sony has been known to lower prices if it's hurting them financially, so if that ends up being the case, it is possible. Nintendo never had the problem of financial decrease with the Wii.

I appreciate the response.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:39 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 635
Location: Canada
I just noticed something on the EB Games website I didn't before:
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductD ... t_id=84199
what do you think? This might be Microsoft's attempt to beat out The Fight on Playstation Move. What are your guys views on that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Like to find out people's views on this
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:40 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Sep 2008
Posts: 635
Location: Canada
The weird thing is that it comes out 9 days before Kinect is supposed to be released.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.