View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Can't Do A DL
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:37 pm 
born to perform.

RZ9405 wrote:
tivolation wrote:
The Answer to all your Questions is: Roberto Giobbi's Card Collage :)

MfG

Yes, but instead of spending $100 for things that I already know, except for these two things, can you help me out here, through the forum. :P.
Thank you.

No dude, he's right. Go buy card college. You can't even do a DL. I was doing magic for 3 years before i bought volume 1 of card college and its the best thing i've ever bought. I read it cover to cover, even the "how to hold a deck" part in the beginning. But if you think you already know it all then good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:56 pm 
Penguin

acebrawler73 wrote:
RZ9405 wrote:
tivolation wrote:
The Answer to all your Questions is: Roberto Giobbi's Card Collage :)

MfG

Yes, but instead of spending $100 for things that I already know, except for these two things, can you help me out here, through the forum. :P.
Thank you.

No dude, he's right. Go buy card college. You can't even do a DL. I was doing magic for 3 years before i bought volume 1 of card college and its the best thing i've ever bought. I read it cover to cover, even the "how to hold a deck" part in the beginning. But if you think you already know it all then good luck.
Your right, he is, this weekend, I went to a magic shop and I looked at the book, and I saw that it wasn't that basic, there are some hard stuff there. And btw, that was the problem, I couldn't do a DL, but I could do other, much harder moves. It's not that I can't EVEN do a DL, but I couldn't. Now, I am able :). I practiced a lot more. And I`ve been in magic for 4 years, and still, Card College is great, and I am learning a lot of new things, but I bought volume 4 though, but I think that I'll still buy volume 1, even though most of it will be review. For some reason, I had an impression that those books only had like beginner`s (I think that I am intermediate) stuff in it. But what skill level are they for? Because there are some very simple, and easy, and some very hard stuff in it. So what skill level is it for?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:02 pm 
Penguin

Olmagi52 wrote:
Sometimes the very things that most magicians look for in a good deck of cards can cause certain sleights to become a stumbling block. For instance take a new deck of Bikes and do a DT (Double Turnover). The Air Cushion finish CAN make the cards separate slightly or even alot because of the newness of the finish.

Try the same sleight with a broken in deck and you may notice a difference. New decks can prove to be a pain in the *** for certain sleights. I make it a habit to use broken in cards.

Nothing is as important as practice. Practice is the oil for technique...without it your technique becomes rusty. Your tools make a difference too. I know of no one who will begin a long hike in brand new boots...

Keep at it. The DL is not that hard to master...to perform it effortless and with consistency is the hard part IMHO. BTW, look into the Stuart Gordon DL for great DL & turnover...good luck!

Best regardz,
Olmagi52 :D :wink: 8)
Thank you, now I can do my double turnover, I practiced a lot :). I guess I just had a problem with DL, but now it's good.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:31 am 
Penguin

Skill level is from beginner to advanced IMHO. Card College is meant to take a rank beginner to the higher levels of card SOH. It is not the consummate guide though.

It is written through the eyes of a professional who has studied card magic and researched many resources to come up with reference/teaching manual that will help you become adept in card SOH and it's use in closeup card magic. Again I must state that many agree that this series is a means to an end, but not the end in itself... This is the interpretation of one person and there are many other great classic books that you should look into.

You should study other books also and this is why I like The CC series...Giobbi provides the student with references so that he may look into and thus discover other theories, principles, and subtleties that will enrich his quest for knowledge. I recommend that you eventually collect all 5 volumes...it will become the best investment of a lifetime if you are really, really serious about learning Card SOH/magic...

Best regardz,
Olmagi52 :D :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:50 am 
born to perform.

If you still want some help with the DL, watch this:http://tannensmagic.blogspot.com/2010/01/aaron-fishers-free-double-lift-lesson.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:11 pm 
Penguin

I just finished Vol2 of card college and it has ALOT of good info in it. I'd recomend every volume of Card College, even though I only read the first two volumes.

On broken vs new decks, I prefer the extra challenge of playing with new cards. Your cards will look nicer to the spectator and you'll be prepared for those situations where someone thinks you have a special deck. Just buy a new deck and go (There is minimal breakin in needed).

As for the DL, there are so many versions of it, it'd be nice to know which you are working with. Houdini's? Push off? Any of these to get them just right takes simply alot of repetition. You'll eventually learn to control the cards better first consciously. After that you'll be able to do it without thinking.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:15 pm 
born to perform.

Just because this is a DL discussion I thought I would ask this here(It is kind of on topic)

I learned the Derek Dingle DL from Wayne Houchin's Art of Magic. He freely admits that he learned it wrong so he is teaching a variation of it. Anyways, Houchin does it from a push-off. Then a friend of mine was showing me his DDDL and he did it from a strike. I believe he learned the move from Greg Wilson's Double Take? I have been using it from a strike and I like the move much better. My questions are:
1. from those of you who have "The complete works of Derek Dingle", is the move originally taught from a push-off or a strike?
2. For those of you who do the move, Which do you prefer? Strike or push-off?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:45 pm 
born to perform.

If I'm not mistaken, Gregory Wilson teaches this as the "Knock-out Double" on Double Take. I think I saw Wayne Houchin teach this on a Reel Magic edition (if it's the one he uses in French Kiss).

I personally use the "Strike Double" as taught on Double Take, with an added convincer of turning the double over outjogged and pushing it back to get a break. No get-ready, and it looks great, really natural.

-JT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:19 am 
born to perform.

miniserb725 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, Gregory Wilson teaches this as the "Knock-out Double" on Double Take. I think I saw Wayne Houchin teach this on a Reel Magic edition (if it's the one he uses in French Kiss).

I personally use the "Strike Double" as taught on Double Take, with an added convincer of turning the double over outjogged and pushing it back to get a break. No get-ready, and it looks great, really natural.

-JT

I guess I had thought GW taught several different DLs on that DVD. I don't have it so I can't say. My understanding (and I could be off base here) is that Derek Dingle is generally regarded as the originator of a type of DL in which the heel of the left palm(or right if you are left handed) is used as a pivot point around which you spin the DL face up. The DL used on French Kiss is credited as Wayne Houchin's version as the DD DL. It is very similar in character to the DL that David Blaine uses. It could be that the "Knock Out" DL is just another variation of this? One way or the other Derek Dingle predates Blaine, Wilson, and Houchin so if I'm mistakenly generalizing these DLs as DD DLs I apologize. Perhaps the difference between the Hit DL versus the Push-off DL is the difference in these moves? Now you have me really curious.

As for my personal DL, I have been using the Diving Board DL for a bit over a year now. It's one handed freeing me up to gesture and misdirect with the other hand. It's a no get ready but can also be engaged from a get ready. It snaps the cards immediately into an out jogged position from which I can flip for a turn-over, grab for a corner display or snap change, or grab for a spin display. It can also be used as a flourish. Probably the most versatile DL I have come across.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 am 
born to perform.

No you're 100 percent right. I was just sharing that Wilson teaches it very similarly to Houchin, so maybe that points to it being similar to the original.

-JT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:11 am 
born to perform.

miniserb725 wrote:
No you're 100 percent right. I was just sharing that Wilson teaches it very similarly to Houchin, so maybe that points to it being similar to the original.

-JT

Oh okay...I misunderstood. So does the Knock out come from a strike? If so I like it better than the original. It just "feels" better....more free and solid when it comes from a strike. IMO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:03 am 
born to perform.

The Knock-Out is taught the same way as Houchin teaches it on Art of Magic.

Just dug them both out and watched back to back.

No idea about the original DD DL

-JT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:37 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Just because this is a DL discussion I thought I would ask this here(It is kind of on topic)

I learned the Derek Dingle DL from Wayne Houchin's Art of Magic. He freely admits that he learned it wrong so he is teaching a variation of it. Anyways, Houchin does it from a push-off. Then a friend of mine was showing me his DDDL and he did it from a strike. I believe he learned the move from Greg Wilson's Double Take? I have been using it from a strike and I like the move much better. My questions are:
1. from those of you who have "The complete works of Derek Dingle", is the move originally taught from a push-off or a strike?
2. For those of you who do the move, Which do you prefer? Strike or push-off?

I own the book in question...
1. The method is taught as a strike.
2. I prefer it as taught from the book.

BTW, Derek used his right third finger...

Best regardz...
Olmagi52 :D 8) :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:45 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
For those of you who do the move, Which do you prefer? Strike or push-off?

Strike.

Absolutely no motion whatsoever with the left hand. No prior touching the cards for a get ready.

The right hand comes over to an unprepared deck, flips over two cards with one continuous motion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:15 pm 
born to perform.

Mine is Doc Daley's strike. Love it 100%.

-JT