View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Quick Advice on my Routine for first ever kid's show
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:18 am 
born to perform.

Zenn, I am glad you are trying to plan this out and work out a plan for the separate ages. Personally, I am not a fan of cards (no pun intended) for children. If you really have to do cards, then try and make it something visual instead of having them memorize a card and try and follow along.

So far you haven't worked out the patter correct? Well until you do-- you really won't know how long your show is. I actually do this in reverse. I actually come up with the storylines and patter FIRST, then pick out the tricks to fit the patter. That way I know the show is original, true to your own "persona", and you will find you save yourself money on unnecessary tricks in the long run. This may or may not work for you, it is only a suggestion. :D

Another thing that came to mind (we have it, haven't used it) for the kids is the good old newspaper tear-- just use the funnies. It is very visual, easy concept for the kids to follow, and has a pretty big impact when you think about it.

Keep up the process and let us know how things work out!

Wishing you all the best,

Kristen

P.S. I also think 3 minutes for D'Lites is too long. I think the longest Danielle ever performed them for was about 30-45 seconds and it was just for a dramatic opener for her stage show--- she walked on stage with only backlighting so her silhoutte showed while she performed them.

I was also thinking on the 3rd-5th graders, you may want to switch up the cup and balls routine to the 3 minutes and Rocky for the 5 minutes. The kids could get a bit restless with the cups & balls but if you have an energetic and comedic routine with Rocky you can keep them easily laughing for 5!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:48 pm 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Zenn, I am glad you are trying to plan this out and work out a plan for the separate ages. Personally, I am not a fan of cards (no pun intended) for children. If you really have to do cards, then try and make it something visual instead of having them memorize a card and try and follow along.

So far you haven't worked out the patter correct? Well until you do-- you really won't know how long your show is. I actually do this in reverse. I actually come up with the storylines and patter FIRST, then pick out the tricks to fit the patter. That way I know the show is original, true to your own "persona", and you will find you save yourself money on unnecessary tricks in the long run. This may or may not work for you, it is only a suggestion. :D

Another thing that came to mind (we have it, haven't used it) for the kids is the good old newspaper tear-- just use the funnies. It is very visual, easy concept for the kids to follow, and has a pretty big impact when you think about it.

Keep up the process and let us know how things work out!

Wishing you all the best,

Kristen

P.S. I also think 3 minutes for D'Lites is too long. I think the longest Danielle ever performed them for was about 30-45 seconds and it was just for a dramatic opener for her stage show--- she walked on stage with only backlighting so her silhoutte showed while she performed them.

I was also thinking on the 3rd-5th graders, you may want to switch up the cup and balls routine to the 3 minutes and Rocky for the 5 minutes. The kids could get a bit restless with the cups & balls but if you have an energetic and comedic routine with Rocky you can keep them easily laughing for 5!

Thanks Kristen! I could've sworn I had replied to this... I guess I forgot to click submit!

Thanks for the advice... I'm working on patter now so I'll letcha know how that goes.

I like the newspaper idea using the comics... do you have a good source to learn this that you would recommend?

Yeah I am def gunna cut down my D'lite routine to about a minute or less..

I didn't think about swapping Rocky and the cups and balls... I'll have to think about that.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:52 pm 
born to perform.

Ok so I have the dates of the show

Friday June 25th. and Wednesday July 21st

As of now I will be performing two 20 minute shows both of those days, one for Kindergartners to 2nd graders and one for 3rd to 5th graders.

As this will be my first paid gig, I am a bit confused on what to charge. What you guys recommend? Should I charge per 20 min show or should I charge for the both of them? What would you suggest a good price be?

Thanks!

~Zenn

Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED ON FIRST EVER KID'S SHOW
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:23 pm 
born to perform.

Anyone? I need to at least get an idea as to how much I charge in the next week or two.

~Zenn

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:09 am 
born to perform.

Zenn, you might want to find some other entertainers in the general area that you are going to be performing in, and e-mail them to find out what they would charge. Don't necessarily tell them you're going to be doing a gig, just let them know that you are looking for a magician for an event, and just ask them what they would charge for the time frame you are doing.

Then you can figure out how much you think YOU are worth comparatively speaking.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:36 am 
born to perform.

Pricing really is based on your area. Like said above, the only sure-fire way to know is to start calling magicians in the area and get a quote. Be sure not to undersell yourself otherwise you will make those same magicians a bit peeved by pricing them out of the market! :wink: Remember, you need to work WITH your fellow magicians, not against them. Each magician has something different to offer, which means each person's services are invaluable.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:38 am 
born to perform.

kristenl wrote:
Pricing really is based on your area. Like said above, the only sure-fire way to know is to start calling magicians in the area and get a quote. Be sure not to undersell yourself otherwise you will make those same magicians a bit peeved by pricing them out of the market! :wink: Remember, you need to work WITH your fellow magicians, not against them. Each magician has something different to offer, which means each person's services are invaluable.

Thanks Kristen... from what I can tell I think it will be in the 150 to 175 dollar range for all of the shows

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:54 pm 
born to perform.

Ok guys my first gig is friday, here is the final list I have come up with for my first two shows.

Kids Show (K-2nd) 20 min

• Vanishing Hanky trick – (roughly 2 and a half min)
o Start off with no wand, then broken wand, then add magic word (“Boogiewoogiewoogie”)
• Magic Coloring Book – (roughly 3 and a half min)
• Hippity Hop Rabbits – (3 min)
• Vanishing Ketchup – (roughly 1 and a half min)
• Rope Magic – (6 min)
• Vanishing Bandanna – (3 min)

Kid Show (3rd-5th) 20 min

• D’lites (with a kicker!) – (1 and a half min)
o Song – Popcorn by Hot Butter
• Sponge Routine – (5 min)
• Linking Rings – (3 min)
• Invisible Deck – (roughly 1 and a half min)
• Vanishing Ketchup – (2 min)
• Rope Magic – (5 min)
• Vanishing Bandanna – (3 min)

I have timed this out several times factoring in nerves (ie performing faster than normal), patter, and audience interaction. I also plan on keeping a list in my case with the order and time ideas of each trick along with a timer so I can keep an eye on the time. I have a few backup tricks for both age groups in case I rush a trick and need some more time.

I won't be able to film my first gig but I plan on starting a video blog before and after each performance. I will also be doing the same act less than a week later at my local library (which I WILL be able to have taped).

Wish me luck!

~Zenn

Post subject: Re: FIRST KIDS SHOW NEXT WEEK - Updated List =]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:28 pm 
born to perform.

Zenn,

I know its been a few months, but how did things go for you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:33 pm 
born to perform.

Things went absolutely FANTASTIC!

I filmed a video blog about it so here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yVk-NH_Mwk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:22 pm 
born to perform.

Glad to hear it went well! Just a note, next time try asking your party in advance if you can film your performance. You will get cases that say, "yes, no problem" and you will have others that prefer you don't. Either way just be courteous and pleasant and don't get discouraged if they say no. However, having that film can be a valuable tool for you to review your "live" performance and also give you valuable website footage if you have a site. (Photos are also a great addition to your website--- I really haven't found too many people that will say no to photographs especially if you agree to not use the child's name)

Also, bear in mind that you can use different clips of your magic to put together a montage of your different shows.