View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Containing the kids
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:21 pm 
Penguin

I had a show this evening for about 25 CRAZY kids. So far I have been using a rope laying on the ground to keep kids from walking up and taking things and it had worked pretty well so far. Until tonight. With so many kids there was so much excitement (if you can call it that) that kids kept pushing the rope forward or just coming up. Does any one have any sure-fire (or as close as possible) ways to contain kids in their seat. I have read in Seriously Silly that people have brought their own carpet for themselves to stand on as if a stage. Does anyone know how well this worked?
Thanks, Drew

Post subject: Re: Containing the kids
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:59 pm 
born to perform.

NOTE: I have only done 4 paid shows for children, so there are others here that will know more...

But, I used a warm-up that had the kids standing up and clapping, then has them get very quiet, then standing and clapping again, then very quiet and sitting. Then I tell them about the magic line, and if anyone other than a magician or their assistant crosses it, the magic won't work! This has worked perfectly for me.

-JT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:50 am 

Instead of puttiung rope on the floor, tie the bunch of urchins together with the rope. I always fire an Uzi about 3" over their heads and sy "any noise and I'll lower my aim!"

OK That's all a joke!! What I do is start my telling them "OK I know your parents have told you to be quiet, but, if you like my magic, you can YELL and SCREAM and Clap your hands!! But the one thing you have to do is be loud but stay seated where you are, no getting up unless I tell you it's OK." I got this from Chris Capeharts kid's show DVD, and it WORKS! Yep, the kids do get LOUD! but the parents hear that they are laughing and having fun. Remember if the kids like it, Momma likes it and you are a hero if Momma likes you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:51 am 
Penguin

Thanks miniserb725 and paddy. I'll have to experiment with those sometime. I think a problem that I have is that I am only 15 and I am neither the tallest nor biggest person, so I think the kids respect me less than a big tall magician. That's just my theory, so I guess I'll have to assert my authority at the beginning of the show to "scare" the kids.
Thanks, Drew

PS. I guess the good thing about the show is that the kids had fun, even if I didn't. And I may get more shows in that neighborhood(if I even want to go back there. Haha)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:23 pm 

drewer wrote:
Thanks miniserb725 and paddy. I'll have to experiment with those sometime. I think a problem that I have is that I am only 15 and I am neither the tallest nor biggest person, so I think the kids respect me less than a big tall magician. That's just my theory, so I guess I'll have to assert my authority at the beginning of the show to "scare" the kids.
Thanks, Drew

PS. I guess the good thing about the show is that the kids had fun, even if I didn't. And I may get more shows in that neighborhood(if I even want to go back there. Haha)

AH HA!! That's the whole problem right there Drewer. You didn't give us all the pertinent information. Doing kid's shows at your age is a real beast! The see you as a kid doing magic. They don't see you as a magician performing magic. Yes there is a difference. Are you just doing tricks? How many effects are in your show and how long is it? The answers should be 3 and 30 minutes. Take your time with each effect, tell a story about it. When I do the cut & restored rope it takes me a good 10 to 12 minutes telling how I was shown this as a kid and never could figure out how the magi did it. D'lite's takes another 5 minutes, talking about spirits in the night and how the can waylay travelers. How when walking thru the woods you can see a flash from a campfire and as you approach the camp to ask for some food and a place to sleep, it just seems farther and farther away. Tricks are easy, any idiot can do them. What makes us good is PRESNTATION!

Paddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:17 pm 
born to perform.

My mom is a kindergarten/Pre-K teacher and a former religious school head so she has had PLENTY of experience with controlling kids. She helped me come up with a way that has worked for me so far. What I do is before I start my show I ask the kids that anyone who likes magic, raise their hand. After that I explain to them that my magic is a tiny bit shy, and in order for it to work I need EVERYONE to sit criss-cross-applesauce and be on their best behavior... otherwise the magic won't work! This works really well because if the kids get rowdy I remind them of this. Sometimes I don't even have to because when one kid starts talking the others will remind him/her so that way "the magician's magic will work". This has never gone wrong with me and has saved my butt a few times (like the time I expected a crowd of 30 and got a crowd of 100 instead lol)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:09 pm 
Penguin

Thanks Paddy, I'll try to work on my presentations to keep them intrigued.
Zenn- that's a cool way to control the kids which I will also have to experiment with.
Thanks, Drew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:35 pm 
born to perform.

drewer wrote:
Thanks Paddy, I'll try to work on my presentations to keep them intrigued.
Zenn- that's a cool way to control the kids which I will also have to experiment with.
Thanks, Drew

No prob... let me know how it works out!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:49 pm 
Penguin

I do agree with Paddy on stretching your routines out. If you can pull 10 minutes out of cut and restored rope then more power to you however most cant without getting very boring. So find ways of making your routines longer but don't push it past the point of not being entertaining.

One problem is with your line. A rope will move unless tied to something and if its tied to something that item might fall. I use painters tape for my line. If you perform as much as I do you will have to purchase a new roll every couple weeks but it is worth it. If you are fun and have a good show kids will want to come up. Your concern is finding the balance between the two.

On a side note with the last couple shows there have been more children like this in my audience. It must have something to do with Halloween.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:54 pm 
Penguin

Glamourboy wrote:

One problem is with your line. A rope will move unless tied to something and if its tied to something that item might fall. I use painters tape for my line. If you perform as much as I do you will have to purchase a new roll every couple weeks but it is worth it. If you are fun and have a good show kids will want to come up. Your concern is finding the balance between the two.

On a side note with the last couple shows there have been more children like this in my audience. It must have something to do with Halloween.

Have you ever had a problem with the kids pulling up the tape? Or have any parents not wanted tape on their floor or carpet?
Thanks in advance, Drew

PS. I think all the sugar in their bloodstream from Halloween has done something to their behavior.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

drewer wrote:
Glamourboy wrote:

Have you ever had a problem with the kids pulling up the tape? Or have any parents not wanted tape on their floor or carpet?
Thanks in advance, Drew

PS. I think all the sugar in their bloodstream from Halloween has done something to their behavior.

Seeing as how most kids have plenty of sugar in their system at most parties... cake, cookies, candy, sweet drinks... Im pretty sure it has nothing to do with being Halloween.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:23 pm 
born to perform.

Urchins... :lol: Too funnee! A friend of mine, who is a mom, has used that reference. ...And Turnips, Ewoks, Gymborees, Children of the corn, and E.T.'s.

Kids are precious, gotta love'm!

For me, "...or the magic won't happen" is the way to go. In addition, in my years of experience with kids they are more likely to cooperate when they have gotten to know me a bit and see that I and firm, fair and fun. This is obtained by spending a little time with them before the show and asking them questions, sharing about one's self and even doing a close-up effect. Pre-show work isn't limited to mentalism performances.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:28 pm 
Penguin

I very rarely have a problem with the tapeline being pulled up and with the parents not wanting it on the floor (ask if its hardwood).

As far as the children coming up recently. I have stated before I perform close to 300 shows a year and some groups are just different and it could have been a mater of having a few of the same influences in a row. A little bit more sugar or the added excitement just gets piled on. Sometimes you just have to smile and get through it.