View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: This is Mentalism - Rich Ferguson (Review)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 am 
born to perform.

This is Mentalism??? Should be called This is LAME..

First off anything from E takes 10 times as long to arrive as Penguin. This is not a exaggeration, literally 10 times as long. Well i'm going to go through each trick. Previous to this i thought Tagged by Rich was good so i ended up picking this up. And i hadn't seen any reviews of this apart from E fanboys. So here is a non-bias review.

EQUIVOQUE
"Force a bottom card through "visualization" using crime scene type methodology."

Errrrmmmmm. Seriously most magicians who watch the performance would instantly know the method. His spectators got a pretty weak reaction in my opinion. I really cant shouldn't bother describing this effect cause its bad. Yes the patter makes sense and justifies everything and makes it work, but its quite long and i hardly think the effort is worth the such weak payoff at the end.
Presentation: 8/10, Overall trick: 4/10

NUMBERZ
"Borrow a phone or calculator (Using an IPhone is SWEET) to get prediction to appear."

This is based on a very old concept. I will admit, i did not even think of doing this with the iphone. Potentially great effect. But Rich does it with the "Out to Lunch Principle". Like what?????? You could do a bill switch and the spectators could of predicted their own bill's serial number (not taught) or any other number of possible effects, but using "Out to Lunch Principle"? Hmmm i dunno. Also his alternative presentation he briefly talks about is that "oh you can tell people your a math wizz". Seriously??? If your doing Mentalism and could be presenting yourself as either Physic or a master of Psychology, why on earth would you cheapen the effect to make people think your a "math wizz". Personally i have my own method to doing a similar trick, however this can be done with a borrowed iphone which is good.

Method: 9/10, Tricks He Taught: 5/10
Overall (because this is a non-original trick): 6/10 (if this was a original idea i would give it more)

ALPHA PACK
"You can draw anything they draw"

Says 100% impromptu??? lol well only if you carry a pretty large stack of prepared business cards with you. Yet another unoriginal trick. Basically this is very similar to Richard Osterlind's drawing duplication. Almost the same. However the reaction he gets is no where near what Osterlind got on the L&L tape, probably cause of the presentation.

Also it annoyed the cr@p out of me that during the explanation he keeps calling this trick a force. This is not a force, can someone please explain to Rich what a force is? thanks.

Overall (because this is a non-original trick): 6/10 (again, if this was a original idea i would give it more)

WINDOW
"Use your business card to reveal a chosen word in ANY borrowed book, newspaper, brochure, etc. "

Claims to be worth the price of the dvd alone. BUT YET ANOTHER COMPLETELY UNORIGINAL TRICK. I saw this years ago. Sure they make "Credits" but like blehhhhhhhhhhhh, Rich may of created this independently i dont know for sure, but like why bother releasing something if nothing new has been added.

If this was a Original trick: 9/10. But its not so like 6/10

PAPERBACK PREDICTION
"Figure out a spectator selected word in ANY BORROWED BOOK."

Decent method. Once again not a new idea at all. Pretty decent, Rich teaches it well. Though he like got no reaction from his audience doing this.

Overall 6/10 (yes i know i'm rating everything 6/10)

SPRING PEEK
"Brand new way to gain a peek at a selected card while they are being sprung from one hand to another."

As far as i know, this is a original idea for Rich. LoL finally something new. This is a pretty decent move. Its a tad awkward for me though its workable. But there are better ways for peeking. Also after like 5 mins of playing with the deck i already found subtle things to make the move better which Rich never mentions, he really should of though.

Overall: 7/10 (its just a peek, no routine is taught)

GRIDLOCK
"Spectator guessed numbers on a grid start to add up to a merely thought of number. In every which way imaginable."

Ermmmm yet another non-original trick. Luke Jermay released Magic Squares (i think thats what he called it) like over a year ago on penguin. Also this is a old idea i think from Anneman originally but would have to double check that. Once again whats with the whole "Math Whiz" presentation?? Come on, mentalism is so much more than Math tricks.

Overall: 5/10

SECURITY
"Use a SECURITY SEALED envelope in extremely clever and new way."

Ok this is good. Its a simple new method to know whatever the spectator writes down. I would of probably used this 6 months ago, but if you have Psypher or a good Center tear, you probably wont use this. Also you need a envelope (though Rich talks about how to logically bring it into play).

Overall: 7.5/10

"TIME STOP"
"Stop a spectators watch just by using static electricity or just by touching a pressure point on their body."

Ummm well.... Before watching this, there's really only two ways to achieve this effect. And yes Rich is using one of those methods. Non-original yet again. I've always found this hard to do, and yes i have tried this before i even saw this dvd. Hmmm decent i guess.

Overall:6/10

SIGNED PREDICTION
"Out of THEIR OWN POCKET they pull an APPEARANCE of a prediction with THEIR signature on it. Powerful."

it says "Based on the Out to Lunch principle in a clever new way using a business card." Ummm what is the clever new way? Please tell me. As far as i've known Out to Lunch is NORMALLY DONE WITH BUSINESS CARDS. Clever new way???? What a joke.

Thinking about it, isnt it illogical to use out to lunch with mentalism? Hmmmm thinking about it, sure i guess it would work. I do like the idea of getting the spectator of signing business cards, just so they know i dont switch my prediction, but i wouldn't use "out to lunch" to make my prediction appear.

PLUS BONUS EFFECTS /TRICKS & TIPS....
Rich does say some useful advise. But only useful if your starting Mentalism. Overall good stuff, but not if your already doing mentalism, its just stuff u would already know. Overall Rich's performance generally got weak reactions, only strong reactions from some of the girls, who honestly look like they would of reacted big to any trick. I wish he talked about "Clarity of effect". I think he doesnt get good reactions cause he's patter and presentation is too long, and the effect loses that Clarity and hence diminishes the instantaneous reaction of the spectator.

Bonus trick?? Its a Frixon pen, come on now. Mathew Bich put that out years ago. Yet again nothing new was added. Not even a creative presentation or trick or anything.

Final Verdict
If you are new to mentalism. This is a ok dvd. My main issue was that nothing was original. Dont buy into the trailer, basically it shows nothing. If i saw the tricks full performances i would of never bought this dvd. If you already have any dvds by Banachek, Osterlind or Max Maven, give this one a miss. The trailer says "I'll teach you tricks with wicked gimmicks". What are the wicked gimmicks?? there was only 1 gimmick (not gimmicks) and that was Window. Also the word "impromptu" is relative. It assumes you carry stuff with you. To do every trick "impromttu" you would need to carry your iphone, two stacks of business cards, some extra business cards that aren't in the stack, a book (could be borrowed), deck of cards and a envelope at the very minimum. Which is not tooo bad. At least on the DVD you dont have to buy anything and hey people will think your a "Math Wiz"

Only two tricks i'd use are Window and Numberz, but neither are original.

If your new to mentalism: 8/10
If you already do mentalism: 3/10

Post subject: Re: This is Mentalism - Rich Ferguson (Review)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:47 am 
born to perform.

SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Also the 2nd deal or bottom deal briefly flashed in the trailer was not taught at all.

Last edited by keepitbottled on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:57 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for the honest review. Glad I held back on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 am 
born to perform.

revelation77 wrote:
Thanks for the honest review. Glad I held back on this one.

Yeah, its essentially a beginner mentalism dvd and the trailer doesnt really show that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 am 
born to perform.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:54 pm 
born to perform.

For the spring peek, do you dribble the cards or actually spring them?

-JT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:29 pm 
born to perform.

miniserb725 wrote:
For the spring peek, do you dribble the cards or actually spring them?

-JT

Its a small card spring

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:38 pm 
born to perform.

aha okay thank you.

-JT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:52 am 
born to perform.

that Spring Peek sound similar to DG's Ego Force taught on DGP Volume 1.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:23 am 
born to perform.

KingOfNynex2003 wrote:
that Spring Peek sound similar to DG's Ego Force taught on DGP Volume 1.

Ego force was a dribble. Spring peek is a spring. They're different but not really that great of a sleight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:37 pm 
Penguin

This was a very pleasant DVD to watch. It has some subtleties and ideas that I can see myself throwing in a routine to add that touch.