View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Microphone holder that you can use both hands and walk aroun
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:48 pm 
Penguin

Hello,

I am searching for a metal ring you can put on your neck and this ring hold the microphone. I really don't know the name, hard to describe what I mean, here you can see a magician use this useful thing at the magic castle. Youtube - look it 1.11 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUIMzVYQ8pk

Any idea where I can get this? I am in Asia at the moment, hard to find special things in general :-)

Thanks so much!

Dan

Post subject: Re: Microphone holder that you can use both hands and walk a
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:47 am 
born to perform.

Here's a nice thread for you;
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 4&forum=17

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:40 am 
born to perform.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you'll find a similar device. You supply your own mic clip, and screw it on. I don't know if he ships overseas, but there is a contact link.....can't hurt to ask.

http://www.tomburgoon.com/onlinestore.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:59 am 
born to perform.

Here Daniel, I found the exact one Phil Cass used in the video. It can be found here: http://www.davelordsmagicworks.com.au/a ... ories.html

I'm sure if you email them, you can get one shipped to you in Asia.

Best,
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:15 am 
born to perform.

That mic holder ROCKS! Drape a silk over the holder for an INCREDIBLE Zombie microphone holder effect. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:31 am 
born to perform.

Why do you need a mic holder around your neck? It looks really horrible and it will serve as a distraction to you audience to see something so weird.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:50 am 
Emperor Penguin

benji11 wrote:
Why do you need a mic holder around your neck? It looks really horrible and it will serve as a distraction to you audience to see something so weird.

It didn't look horrible and it certainly didn't distract the audience.
If ones show is so bad that a mic holder distracts them, the mic holder is the least of ones worries.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:10 pm 
born to perform.

David if something doesn't add to your show then it detracts.

A microphone should be an invisible prop used to enhance a performance. Having a big handheld mic around your neck does not add anything to the show. (Other than making you look dumb ;) ).

If you need to use both hands then get the AV guys to give you a lapel mic (clip-on mic). And always have another handheld mic with a stand for the audience members to use.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:44 pm 
born to perform.

benji11 wrote:

A microphone should be an invisible prop used to enhance a performance. Having a big handheld mic around your neck does not add anything to the show. (Other than making you look dumb ;) ).

If you need to use both hands then get the AV guys to give you a lapel mic (clip-on mic). And always have another handheld mic with a stand for the audience members to use.

Quoted for truth.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:03 am 
Emperor Penguin

KrisDeagle wrote:
benji11 wrote:

Quoted for truth.

Pretty sure that is an "opinion", not truth.
Cause if we went by his first statement, as the end all be all, I could knock alot of things off several people acts.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:54 am 
born to perform.

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
Pretty sure that is an "opinion", not truth.
Cause if we went by his first statement, as the end all be all, I could knock alot of things off several people acts.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

It was more or less directed at the last part about the lapel mic but I agree to some degree about the prior statements thus I left the whole quote. But the main point is, lapel mics are designed for that, having a ring around your neck that holds a regular microphone is just silly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:57 pm 
born to perform.

benji11 wrote:

I have to disagree with your statements, Benji. A microphone need not be invisible. If a performer is properly entertaining his/her audience, a visible mic is pretty much not an issue.

Secondly, if you watched the link to the video that the original poster provided, you'll see that even though you may have considered the mic around the performer's neck to look "dumb", the audience didn't seem to mind, nor were they distracted. This was a comedy magic show, and the mic around the neck , though some may find it silly looking, actually seemed to fit in with Mr. Cass' performance style.

Third, you suggest if a performer needs both hands that they should ask the AV staff for a lapel mic. Lapel mics, while practically invisible, are a sound man's nightmare. Particularly if the performer wearing it moves around a lot onstage. The pick up on most is terrible, plus these particular mics a more prone to feedback than most others.

In the book Maximum Entertainment, the use of hand held microphones is preferred overall. It's a good idea for magicians to be able to do their act with a hand held microphone in a mic stand and with a Gim-Crack holder for effects that require more freedom of movement by the performer.

Just speakin' from experience here. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:36 pm 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:

Besides dumb, I think outdated is a little more accurate. They make excellent lapel mics now days that are just as good as hand helds. IMO The brand "Shure" makes the best around. Having your own guarantees you will be sounding your best, I never trust the AV guys, most could care less and are making minimum wage. Having good equipment and looking professional says alot, having a mic around your neck IMO looks like you are from the 80's and the word cheesy comes to mind. Unless you are a comic magician and it's part of your overall look- "members only" jacket, parachute pants- with large comb hanging out of back pocket, and of course Vaurnet sunglasses to top it off. Go to a local music store and try out different wireless mic setups, a good store will have all of them, and most important, don't be cheap when it comes to your choice. In this case, the more you spend means the better it will sound.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:37 pm 
born to perform.

All I can do is give you information and let you decide for yourself.

The purpose of a microphone is to enhance your voice so people can hear you. If you need both of your hands free then you need to use a clip-on/lapel mic. Unless you have a purpose for having a big ring around your neck then their is no reason to have it.

In Maximum Entertainment, Ken suggests a handheld mic only to change your vocal tone. All top performers know how to use their voice without needing to move a mic closer or further from the mouth. Most people think Ken is recommending a handheld mic but what he is really saying is that a handheld mic "can be" a great tool....however, most people don't know how to use that tool and it isn't necessary.

It is the job of the AV guys to ensure that your mic is up to par. But it is your job to test it. You should always go to a performance early and test the microphones they give you. If you get feedback then get them to change it. That is what they do for a living.

But once again...all I can do is present you with information. If you believe it is necessary to have the microphone prop then buy it and test it out. After several stage performances, you will realize that it is not necessary to have the ring and it's not necessary to even buy your own microphone because they have better ones.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:37 am 
born to perform.

Shure makes FANTASTIC microphones but one really only needs that kind of quality for singing. American Musical Supply has a nice selection of lapel and other mics for the BEST prices. They offer a Nady model for $89. Nady is the original producer of wireless mics. If one orders $249 or more in products AMS offers a three month payment plan in which they deduct 1/3 of the amount from one's account each month. No sales tax unless in NJ or NV and free shipping I believe for orders over $49.95.

Last edited by EZrhythm on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.