I'm trying to decide where I'm gonna live next year. It's between An apartment building or a house.
- Living by myself.
- 50 feet from the building where all of my classes will be next year.
- That being said it's still an akward location. It's kind of in a corner where I have to do a circle to get out.
- 1950 a semester
- All utilities included
-Communal showers, bathrooms, and kitchen.
- Free hardwired internet.
- 7 HBO channels.
- Furnished with bed and dressers.
- Living with 3 others.
- 3 blocks from the oppisite side of campus my classes are on.
- That being said, it's downtown and a better overall location.
-1650 a semester.
-Utilities are split between the 4 of us. (estimated at $50 a month per person)
- My bedroom isn't furnished.
- Does have the advantage of being a house as far as has a living room, bigger obviously, and I can have parties but I gotta be careful because the land lord lives 2 houses down.
I realize it's my decision but what do you think?
These would be my considerations.
- Is the extra $300 a month an issue? What shape are the apartment and the house in?
- What year of college / university / whatever are you going into?
- How good a student / how motivated are you?
Living in a house with 3 people who like to party could be a serious mistake for an unmotivated / academically challenged first or second year student. I mean, it could also be the time of your life. But I know of people in situations like that who ended up dropping out of school because they could not handle it / manage their studies.
The way you described it, your apartment complex might also be fairly social ... with the shared facilities it sounds like you would meet other tenants ... but you can have privacy there easier, when you want / need it.
I'd also consider whether one or the other is unisex or coed. Having lived in both, I prefer the coed arrangement myself.