View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another microphone topic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:00 pm 
born to perform.

Yes I know there was a topic like this recently, but I'm looking for a certain mic. My search has been fruitless.

I am looking for a wireless earpiece or lapel mic that isn't too loud (loud as in "Hey, I stick out!" not "I'm gonna bust your eardrums"). I want it too be under $200.

I appreciate it. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Another microphone topic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:13 pm 
Penguin

That's kind of hard to do for under $200- IMO Audio-Technica ATW-251/H92 Wireless System would fit the budget and the "loud" issue. But for a few hundred more Shure SLX14/93 Lav Wireless System is awesome. A quality mic is something that will last for years and years and you should consider saving up the extra money. It is well worth it in the long run. You can find all of this gear at guitarcenter.com and a bunch of other systems as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:05 pm 
born to perform.

I really appreciate that, Edrezin. Thanks for the good looking mics.

Now here's the problem. I'm usually very good with electronics but I've never used a mic before. Can you explain to me or point me to some online directions on how to set it up and all?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:52 am 
born to perform.

Here's a part of what I posted on the other mic thread;
...American Musical Supply has a nice selection of lapel and other mics for the BEST prices. They offer a Nady model for $89. Nady is the originator of the wireless microphone system. If one orders $249 or more in products they offer a three month payment plan in which they deduct 1/3 of the amount from one's account each month. No sales tax unless in NJ or NV and free shipping I believe for orders over $49.95.
http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemSear ... l--srcin-1

With only one mic connection and maybe a music/mp3 player to connect, only a speaker with a built in amplifier is necessary instead of a separate sound mixer and amplifier.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-B205D-LIST
With this all you need is an extension cord for power, (I would get two 25') and a cable with XLR connection on one end (check whether it should be male or female) for the mic receiver and 1/4" jack on the other end to plug in to the powered speaker. The length of that cable will need to be determined as to where you want to position the wireless receiver in accordance to the speaker. If the speaker is lifted up on a stand and one has the wireless receiver below on the floor then a 10-12' cable is good.
If you want to hook up an mp3 player, a 1/4" to 1/4" line cable will be needed with a separate adapter to connect one's player on one end. Consider the length of the cable as to where the player will be situated in accordance to the speaker.

Bring spare batteries and duct tape to the gig. Tape the power connection plug to the wall where you plug in and tape the cord to the floor if it crosses where people walk if at a location like a hotel banquet room or other commercial location.

If a wider frequency range is desired for music then a larger speaker (woofer) with a horn (tweeter) is needed. The speaker linked above allows for expansion if one desires to add more powered speakers of the same type or larger speakers that are powered by built in or separate amplifiers.

One could go in to a Guitar Center just to get a hands-on feel for the basic equipment and ask questions but the prices will be higher especially with tax.

American Musical Supply ROCKS the customer service and I give them high recommendations.

List;
Powered speaker
Speaker stand
Wireless receiver and mic
Power extension cord (2-25')
Adapter or power strip for plugging in more than one item
XLR - 1/4" cable for connecting receiver to speaker
1/4" - 1/4" cable to connect music player
Adapter to connect music player to 1/4" cable
Spare batteries for wireless transmitter
Duct tape
A "carry-on" type travel suitcase with wheels and extending handle are great to use for transporting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:09 pm 
born to perform.

EZrhythm wrote:
Here's a part of what I posted on the other mic thread;
...American Musical Supply has a nice selection of lapel and other mics for the BEST prices. They offer a Nady model for $89. Nady is the originator of the wireless microphone system. If one orders $249 or more in products they offer a three month payment plan in which they deduct 1/3 of the amount from one's account each month. No sales tax unless in NJ or NV and free shipping I believe for orders over $49.95.
http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemSear ... l--srcin-1

With only one mic connection and maybe a music/mp3 player to connect, only a speaker with a built in amplifier is necessary instead of a separate sound mixer and amplifier.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-B205D-LIST
With this all you need is an extension cord for power, (I would get two 25') and a cable with XLR connection on one end (check whether it should be male or female) for the mic receiver and 1/4" jack on the other end to plug in to the powered speaker. The length of that cable will need to be determined as to where you want to position the wireless receiver in accordance to the speaker. If the speaker is lifted up on a stand and one has the wireless receiver below on the floor then a 10-12' cable is good.
If you want to hook up an mp3 player, a 1/4" to 1/4" line cable will be needed with a separate adapter to connect one's player on one end. Consider the length of the cable as to where the player will be situated in accordance to the speaker.

Bring spare batteries and duct tape to the gig. Tape the power connection plug to the wall where you plug in and tape the cord to the floor if it crosses where people walk if at a location like a hotel banquet room or other commercial location.

If a wider frequency range is desired for music then a larger speaker (woofer) with a horn (tweeter) is needed. The speaker linked above allows for expansion if one desires to add more powered speakers of the same type or larger speakers that are powered by built in or separate amplifiers.

One could go in to a Guitar Center just to get a hands-on feel for the basic equipment and ask questions but the prices will be higher especially with tax.

American Musical Supply ROCKS the customer service and I give them high recommendations.

List;
Powered speaker
Speaker stand
Wireless receiver and mic
Power extension cord (2-25')
Adapter or power strip for plugging in more than one item
XLR - 1/4" cable for connecting receiver to speaker
1/4" - 1/4" cable to connect music player
Adapter to connect music player to 1/4" cable
Spare batteries for wireless transmitter
Duct tape
A "carry-on" type travel suitcase with wheels and extending handle are great to use for transporting.

Wow there! Thanks a bunch!

I have a gig in a little over three weeks and I know that they have two big speakers that they use. The problem is that they use a standard microphone. Do you think it would be possible to connect any of these mics to those speakers?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:40 pm 
born to perform.

Check out musician's friend too, I've had nothing but good experiences with them for buying drums, guitars, and recording equipment.

-JT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:39 am 
born to perform.

Yes, you will be able to connect the microphone's receiver to their system but you will need to know what type of connection is needed.

If they are using a sound mixing board then one of their microphone cords could be used to connect the wireless mic's receiver.