View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: have a costume but wondering what routine I should use
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:30 am 
born to perform.

I'm going to be getting this costume made for a cosplay competition for a concert I'm going to in April but I'm going to be using it at some of my shows and competitions (magic related) I'll be performing but I'm having some dificulties figuring out what type of stuff I'd want to perform, for my shows I've already decided on 2 things, the Ninja Rings (minus the 1 handed link as I can't do it) and a time machine routine going into the past and for the competition I'd just do a 5-8 minute time machine routine but to make an entire show based around this costume isn't going to be an easy thing, here's the link to what the costume looks like:

http://www.cosplaymagic.co.uk/ and when you click on that copy and paste this: Assassin's Creed II Ezio Black Edition Cosplay
into the search field and that's what I'm going to be getting made by my aunt hopefully.

I know I'm asking for a flame war here because of other threads on here asking for help but I really do need help and I will take any suggestions but please don't turn this into a flame/bashing war because I don't want to be blacklisted on here anymore. Hope to hear from somebody soon.

Sincerely,

KingOfNynex2003

Post subject: Re: have a costume but wondering what routine I should use
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:56 am 

Nyex, I just don't understand the question. You want to write an act based on a costume complete with new effects. WHY? Use the effects you have but rewrite the patter based on your new character. Sponge balls is performed by most of us here, but everfyone does it accrding to his character's personality, that's what you have top do, develop a personality for the character and write your act around that.

There will be no flame war over this question, it is a legitimate query and I'm glad you asked it.

Paddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:18 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Nyex, I just don't understand the question. You want to write an act based on a costume complete with new effects. WHY? Use the effects you have but rewrite the patter based on your new character. Sponge balls is performed by most of us here, but everfyone does it accrding to his character's personality, that's what you have top do, develop a personality for the character and write your act around that.

There will be no flame war over this question, it is a legitimate query and I'm glad you asked it.

Paddy

Ok, I just wanted to make things clear because pretty much whenever I ask something on here it turns into a flame war and it gets insanely frustrating and stressful for me and my doctor has advised me on several occasion's if I get into too stressful of an argument I could get some pretty bad seizures or possibly go into cardiac arrest with the ammount of stress I'm putting myself into every day.

But basically I'm wanting to offer something else like a special promotion for paying customers, if they want just a regular suit and tie thing I can do that but if they want a themed thing I can do that and offer something else as a bonus for doing that, like levitating the guest/host of honor, that reminds me, is there any levitations out there that can do that child levitation only for adults?

Also the main reason I'm wanting to do this with a magic competition was because at my first convention this November I went to I performed in an Anything Goes Competition and most of the judges didn't focus on my performance they spent the entire time just looking at my clothes and on the comment sheets they said I looked like I just walked in out of the street when I actually paid over $500 for the stuff I was wearing and afterwards one of the judges said these exact words to me, "Well it sure didn't look like you did."

The other judges who did comment on my performance said I should've had the calculators pre-opened and ready to go for the audience members (I was performing Richard Osterlind's calculator effect from his No Camera Tricks DVD Set) but the calculators I used came in forcing calculators and the calculator the spectator chose was a forcing calculator that is worth $1500 and even though I gave the calculator out at the end the judges would've thought that I just gave away a $1500 forcing calculator to a probable non magician.

Sorry for the long post but I just had to get that off of my chest, it's been bugging the h e l l out of me that the judges didn't even have the decency to tell me ahead of time that they were going to be deducting points off of my score because I didn't know this was supposed to be a fashion competition and not a magic competition and they told me afterwards that they wanted unique so I'm going to give them unique next year with that Ezio Auditore da Firenze cosplay costume and if I get a low score with that and a cool routine then they're biased and will only pick somebody their age.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:35 pm 
born to perform.

Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a costume like that. Buy a good suit. Boring...yes. But Practical. It will appeal to the masses more than what you are considering.

1st. The company doesn't actually show you what it will look like when complete. They just give a cartoon image of the basic design. It is dangerous enough trusting the quality of the products you buy on the inter net let alone when they can't even show you a real picture of the product.

2nd. If you are into Sci-Fi/Fantasy, or in this case video game, conventions and want to be one of the folks who goes in costume....great. Get a costume for that and then think of some effects or a routine you could do in that costume that would fit that character. For a competition at magic convention? Buy a good suit. They will be looking for a character, and costume, that will appeal to the masses. The "Assassins Creed" magician would appeal to people in a narrow demographic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:21 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a costume like that. Buy a good suit. Boring...yes. But Practical. It will appeal to the masses more than what you are considering.

1st. The company doesn't actually show you what it will look like when complete. They just give a cartoon image of the basic design. It is dangerous enough trusting the quality of the products you buy on the inter net let alone when they can't even show you a real picture of the product. Which is why I'm going to be getting my aunt to make my costume. That way I'll know what I'm getting and I won't have to shell out $800 for a suit from a big & tall store where I have to shop at and look like an oversized penguin.

2nd. If you are into Sci-Fi/Fantasy, or in this case video game, conventions and want to be one of the folks who goes in costume....great. Get a costume for that and then think of some effects or a routine you could do in that costume that would fit that character. For a competition at magic convention? Buy a good suit. They will be looking for a character, and costume, that will appeal to the masses. The "Assassins Creed" magician would appeal to people in a narrow demographic. Take a look at Master Payne, he wears some really outlandish costumes and he's one of the coolest magicians there is he just gets a costume that will get reactions, and I'm actually bigger than he is, from what I've seen he rarely wears a suit and still is an amazing magician.

I do understand that you're trying to help me by trying to save me money but because of how big I am I'd pay more for a suit than that Ezio Auditore da Firenze cosplay costume and it'll get better reactions because it's unique, which is what those judges said to me on those comment cards, to be unique, the guy that won the competition was wearing a glittery silver dress suit and yet he did basic effects.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:07 am 
born to perform.

Are you planning on actually taking on an "assassin personality" or playing such a character?

In any case, you need an appearing cane. You claim it is a secret ninja ju-jitsu magic pugel stick which is used to bash in the heads of enemies.

[sarcasm]also, any bullet catch routine would work well here[/sarcasm]

you can also get a reel and connect it to a (plastic) knife. Then have the knife fly across the room into your hand. patter about your secret ninja ju-jitsu telekenetik powers and how to get out of a jam.

considering that you aunt is going to make the costume, have her add a topit to both sides.

Also have her make the costume so that you can "chop off your head".

(helpful post #50)

and find an assistant who would be willing to wear this costume. Have your aunt to make this costume too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:04 am 
born to perform.

ElConquistador wrote:

Are you planning on actually taking on an "assassin personality" or playing such a character?

In any case, you need an appearing cane. You claim it is a secret ninja ju-jitsu magic pugel stick which is used to bash in the heads of enemies.

[sarcasm]also, any bullet catch routine would work well here[/sarcasm]

you can also get a reel and connect it to a (plastic) knife. Then have the knife fly across the room into your hand. patter about your secret ninja ju-jitsu telekenetik powers and how to get out of a jam.

considering that you aunt is going to make the costume, have her add a topit to both sides.

Also have her make the costume so that you can "chop off your head".

(helpful post #50)

and find an assistant who would be willing to wear this costume. Have your aunt to make this costume too.

You don't need to be sarcastic you know, and the likelyhood of any girl wearing that are insanely slim to none especially since in the game she's only 14. With the whole topit thing I only use my TKO not the topit and she's not really a magician and I don't want her to know how some effects are done, I just want to get her to make that costume.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:08 am 
born to perform.

Also he's not a ninja, he's an assassin, there is a difference between the 2, and the character in the games is almost identical in mannerism to what I'm like.

I don't mind the appearing cane but it looks way too new to be used by an assassin from the late 1400's to early 1500's.

The head chopper thing is cool but I doubt Ezio Auditore da Firenze had his head chopped off, I don't know how he died because I haven't got to the point of his death yet in the game but possibly in the next game we'll find out how he actually dies, my guess is of natural causes but I could be wrong, the Templars might've caught up with him and executed him but again that's just a guess.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:37 am 
born to perform.

No it was not helpful
(helpful post #51)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:54 pm 
born to perform.

Nynex I can see why you would be upset at the judges, however I don't think that this particular costume would be the best. What you may want to do is adapt a specific character. I know of two magicians who do this. One portrays himself as a Pirate and does an AMAZING Cups and Balls routines with mini cannon balls. The other portrays himself as a jester. If you are going to choose a costume try and find one that more people can relate to. Either that or create one of your own that you can make relate-able to anyone.

As for El's post, he was actually being helpful in his own way (yes his last comment about the girl may have been more of a joke then helpful) There are a variety of appearing canes out there, you could easily find one that would fit the style more. If you can't you can always get one custom made to your specifications (contact Uday) As for the toppits, unless you told her what they were for, she won't know effects use them for or how they work. Just explain to her that you have to add them in for some effects. if you are really worried about her "learning the secret" just lie and tell her that it is cannon to the characters costume and you want it to be as authentic as possible.

In regards to the head chop, I BELIEVE he is referring to the effect that Cyril performs. It could add an interesting aspect to the routine. Besides, despite the popularity of the game, the majority of your audience won't know how exactly he died... you can make stuff up!

I've noticed that in the past you seem to ask for help, but then when answers are given to you, you explain how everything suggested can't/won't work. Now if you look at my past posts in response to your questions I have been nothing but helpful. All I am suggesting is that you really take in consideration what everyone is suggesting

Hoped that helped a bit!

~Josh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:23 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for the reply Zenn and I understand what you're saying but I just want to do this because I'm addicted to the Assassin's Creed games and I have learned pretty much everything about Ezio through the games and thankfully Wikipedia and from what is written my character and Ezio are almost identical so it would be a perfect fit for my character to be Ezio Auditore da Firenze.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:51 am 
born to perform.

Ninjas were assassins !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:15 am 
born to perform.

zambini wrote:
Ninjas were assassins !

I don't want to get into an argument so I'm not going to even bother with trying to point out my beliefs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:03 pm 
born to perform.

ElConquistador wrote:
No it was not helpful
(helpful post #51)

What the heck happened to the rest of my post?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:32 pm 
born to perform.

ElConquistador wrote:
ElConquistador wrote:
No it was not helpful
(helpful post #51)

What the heck happened to the rest of my post?

no idea.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next