View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sybil Triumph?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:15 pm 
born to perform.

So I have been looking for a Triumph routine and I recently stumbled upon a routine called the Sybil Triumph? Does anyone know where I could learn this specific routine?

Post subject: Re: Sybil Triumph?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:14 pm 
born to perform.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what your looking for, but in Dan and Dave's lecture notes they have a little bit about using Sybil "as you reorganizing the mixed up deck".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:16 am 
Penguin

Hey Zenn,

I've been working on a couple Triumph routines myself but am not familiar with the Sybil version. What's the difference between that and standard Triumph?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:23 pm 
born to perform.

Its a combination of the triumph plot with the Sybil Flourish. I'm sure if I learned the flourish and a basic triumph routine I could figure it out myself, but I didn't know if there was any resource that taught both

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:41 pm 
Penguin

Oh okay, I've seen that performed before. In my opinion, I like the other triumph routines better because they seem more magical too me. The sybil variation does make you appear to be a master of sleight of hand, but the standard versions of triumph leave no explanation as to how the deck reset itself, and I love that about it. It seems to be a case of "wow he was able to blindly rearange the deck with all those fancy cuts" vs "wow, the deck is back to normal even though a second ago it was a complete mess." Both are incredibly impressive, but I suppose it's a matter of taste.
I bought the Oz Pearlman triumph dvd a month ago and love it. But you are correct, there is no sybil version on there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:04 pm 
born to perform.

Daniel Madison has a production called 4-sybil that I think could be used to accomplish this. It can be done as a one, two, or four card production so I suppose you could do it with several selections and make it look as though, in the action of cutting the deck, you pluck out the card, cards, and rearrange the deck. It can be found in the Dangerous DVD.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:34 pm 
born to perform.

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
Its a combination of the triumph plot with the Sybil Flourish. I'm sure if I learned the flourish and a basic triumph routine I could figure it out myself, but I didn't know if there was any resource that taught both

I saw this on Dan and Dave's lecture notes DVD, or I think that's what it was. I don't have time to look through a ton of DVDs to get to it but that is exactly what you described.

http://community.dananddave.com/magic-t ... post114039

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:59 am 
born to perform.

There are a lot of variations on the Sybil cut that makes it a false cut.
You can show the specs that you flip half of the deck and then do a false sybil and it will look like you mixed the cards together.
Anyway, I think that combining the sybil cut or any other complicated cut with a triumph routine is a [edited] idea.
A good triumph should look like you mixed the cards, placed them on the table, snapped your fingers and the cards fixed themselves.
So just like you'll never do a sybil cut in a card game to mix the cards, you shouldn't do a sybil cut in a magic trick.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:23 pm 
born to perform.

daniel116 wrote:
Anyway, I think that combining the sybil cut or any other complicated cut with a triumph routine is a [edited] idea.
A good triumph should look like you mixed the cards, placed them on the table, snapped your fingers and the cards fixed themselves.
So just like you'll never do a sybil cut in a card game to mix the cards, you shouldn't do a sybil cut in a magic trick.

I personally agree with that in regards to Triumph however it does depend on how you present it. For instance, if you are doing Triumph within the context of a Gambling Demo using a Sybil, or other fancy cut, would be appropriate since the purpose is to demonstrate amazing skill.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:48 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
daniel116 wrote:

I personally agree with that in regards to Triumph however it does depend on how you present it. For instance, if you are doing Triumph within the context of a Gambling Demo using a Sybil, or other fancy cut, would be appropriate since the purpose is to demonstrate amazing skill.

Which is exactly the type of routine I'm going for. I already do two different versions of Triumph that get great responses (since this post obviously) However I want to learn the Sybil triumph so that I can do exactly what erik mentioned