View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TnR by Mathieu Bich
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:57 am 
Penguin

The effect:
"A playing card is selected then shuffled back into the deck. An indifferent card is shown and torn into four separate pieces. What happens next will turn your mind inside out.
Slowly and methodically you begin to restore the card, piece-by-piece.
Each segment of the card is shown clearly and fairly before it is visibly restored onto the next. The motions are completely logical and silky smooth. NO funny movements.
The restoration is a masterpiece of aesthetic perfection - but it's not over yet. Without hesitation, you turn the restored card over to reveal that it has transformed into the spectator's selection.
TnR is a trick that defines visual magic. If you could genuinely restore a torn playing card, this is EXACTLY what it would look like. Shot in high definition in Las Vegas, Nevada with 85 minutes of intricate instruction by Chris Kenner - creator of the legendary Torn Asunder card restoration."

The DVD:
As with all of Theory 11's DVDs, the quality is absolutely superb, in every sense of the word. Crisp, high definition, great quality.

The Method:

One word..devious. Absolutely devious. Remember when you first had your moment of astonishment, before you were a magician? Yeah, get ready to experience that again. Even knowing the secret, it still will astound you. If you could really rip a card into quarters, and restore it one piece at a time, this...is what it would look like. Mathieu Bich is a cross between a madman, and a genius for devising this simple, yet devastating method. Once the construction of the gimmick is complete, it will allow you to go out and create miracles. More about the gimmick later.

Gimmick:
You have to construct your own gimmick, which after seeing in the DVD, may seem rather daunting. However, Chris Kenner does an excellent job of breaking down the construction of the gimmick in fine detail, making the overall experience both humorous and approachable. As the for the gimmick,depending on your craftsmanship and how well you can care for it, can last you a long time. Again, the gimmick simply genius.

Routine:
The routine involved is really clever and well thought out, as with all of Mathieu Bich's effects. With the added transposition, really plays to the days of yore, when you had the old sucker routines. Where the right patter, the right misdirection, and the right circumstances, you can completely melt down the spectators concept of reality. However, with TnR, you don't need the patter.. You almost don't even need misdirection. Yeah. It's that strong. With the right handling, it can be done completely silent. Let me preface that with this, I wouldn't normally make a statement like that. However, I recently performed this effect for my girlfriend the two days ago, and she flipped! I had no patter, no transposition (more on that later) just a basic, torn and restored card effect. The reason I did this, was to primarily see how the gimmicked worked with a different pair of eyes. Needless to say, the effect was devastating.

Final thoughts:
All in all, this is a gem. I have a particularly sharp magician's eye, and this fooled me completely. This effect is definitely a reputation maker. TnR is a blank slate for a multitude of possibilities. This effect is literally only hindered by your own creativity. I cannot recommend this effect highly enough. STOP READING THIS, AND GO BUY IT!!!

- Anthony

Post subject: Re: TnR by Mathieu Bich
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:22 am 
Penguin

Wow, great review. You basically nailed all the points. This trick is very amazing, when done during the right time. Even though it does require some preperation, it is worth it at the end. Other TnRs are more practical and impromtue, but lack the amazing ending that this one delivers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:15 am 
born to perform.

I heard you can't hand the card out for inspection after you finish the trick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:21 pm 

The transformation at the end killed it for me. I don't care how clean it is, as soon as it changes, you've told the audience exactly how you did the trick. You switched the card. That's all they need to know. There's nothing magical about it once that change happens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:36 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
The transformation at the end killed it for me. I don't care how clean it is, as soon as it changes, you've told the audience exactly how you did the trick. You switched the card. That's all they need to know. There's nothing magical about it once that change happens.

Do you expect anything more from Mathieu Bich? The guy that exposed his own trick "The Nomad Pad".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:51 am 
born to perform.

KrisDeagle wrote:
exodus wrote:

Do you expect anything more from Mathieu Bich? The guy that exposed his own trick "The Nomad Pad".

HAHAHAA...exactly...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:39 pm 
born to perform.

The change at the end isn't totally necessary with this method.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:40 pm 

No, but Torn looks the same to the lay audience and uses half the work and no complicated gimmick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:06 am 
born to perform.

Honestly I really like TnR. I thought the gimmick is quite clever. I would however agree with the consensus. Not very practical.