View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First paid gig
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:16 pm 
born to perform.

Hi everyone. I am doing my first paid gig a week from Sunday and I was just wondering if anyone would like to give any advice at all.

It's going to be a small stage for about 50-75 people. My show is about 20 minutes long (is that too short?) and I've been practicing as much as I can.

So, any tips?

Thanks!

Last edited by duds on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: First paid gig
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:54 pm 

You are a regular WAREHOUSE of information. Let's see is 20 minutes too long? Well depends, for an audience of 3 yr olds, could be, for an audience of adults could be too short. What is your audience, where are performing, what kind of effects are you thinking of.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:03 pm 
born to perform.

It's going to be mostly adults and their kids.

I don't really understand what you mean by "where are you performing?"

My show consists of a Vanishing Candle routine, a version of Vernon's Fingerprint Card Trick, a prediction effect, a three person mind reading routine and Daryl's Acrobatic Knot.

Thanks Paddy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:07 pm 
born to perform.

duds wrote:

My show consists of a Vanishing Candle routine, a version of Vernon's Fingerprint Card Trick, a prediction effect, a three person mind reading routine and Daryl's Acrobatic Knot.

Thanks Paddy!

What he means is what is the venue. Will you be outside will you be inside, are you on a stage or in someones living room, etc

btw congrats man! Try and get some footage!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:30 pm 
born to perform.

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
duds wrote:

Thanks Paddy!

What he means is what is the venue. Will you be outside will you be inside, are you on a stage or in someones living room, etc

btw congrats man! Try and get some footage!

Oh, okay. It's going to be in a big (though not TOO big) auditorium on a small stage.

Thanks Josh! I was actually planning on having my brother film me while I'm on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:44 pm 
born to perform.

I just found a picture of the place:

Attachments:
14.JPG
14.JPG [ 45.23 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:49 pm 
born to perform.

Get as many video testimonials as you can after your show.

And towards the end of your show, preferably right before your last demonstration, say something along the lines of, "Hey guys I'm glad I could perform for everyone today and I hope you all had a great time. If you know of anyone that would like to hire a magician for their event then come up to me after this show and give me your business card (or....come up to me after this show and ask for my business card)." This little line will get you tons of spin-off bookings.

After your show, send a thank you letter/email to the person who booked you and include the video testimonial of all the people at the show saying how great it was.

And if anyone asks you how you did your tricks then tell them you sold your soul to the devil :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:55 pm 
born to perform.

benji11 wrote:
Get as many video testimonials as you can after your show.

And towards the end of your show, preferably right before your last demonstration, say something along the lines of, "Hey guys I'm glad I could perform for everyone today and I hope you all had a great time. If you know of anyone that would like to hire a magician for their event then come up to me after this show and give me your business card (or....come up to me after this show and ask for my business card)." This little line will get you tons of spin-off bookings.

After your show, send a thank you letter/email to the person who booked you and include the video testimonial of all the people at the show saying how great it was.

And if anyone asks you how you did your tricks then tell them you sold your soul to the devil :)

Thanks for that awesome advice Benji!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:13 pm 
Penguin

I think 20 minuties it good. Remember the old vaudeville saying " always leave them wanting more" so much truth in that line.Just go on stage with the attitude you are there to have a good fun time.I promise if you have that attitude your audience will also have a good time.

Make sure the guy in the back row can hear you as good as the guy in the front row.Most magicians go way too fast..SLOW DOWN.Speak clear and deliberate.Keep a big smile on your face.Maybe have a note behind your table saying SMILE-GO SLOW-SPEAK CLEARLY.Its very easy to forget this simple things while doing a show.

Other than that I think you're on your way.Benji had some great advice that you seemed to pick up on.

I'll leave you with one more vaudeville saying " break -a-leg"

Have a great show...
Don

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:38 pm 

Benji and Don answered for me and both are great performers. Please don't use Benji's last bit of advice. After seeing the thread about ignorance in the "off Topic" section some idiot might believe you. :lol:
Mazel Tov let us know how it goes, in fact post the show in the performace section.

Paddy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:35 pm 
born to perform.

DonDriver wrote:
I think 20 minuties it good. Remember the old vaudeville saying " always leave them wanting more" so much truth in that line.Just go on stage with the attitude you are there to have a good fun time.I promise if you have that attitude your audience will also have a good time.

Make sure the guy in the back row can hear you as good as the guy in the front row.Most magicians go way too fast..SLOW DOWN.Speak clear and deliberate.Keep a big smile on your face.Maybe have a note behind your table saying SMILE-GO SLOW-SPEAK CLEARLY.Its very easy to forget this simple things while doing a show.

Other than that I think you're on your way.Benji had some great advice that you seemed to pick up on.

I'll leave you with one more vaudeville saying " break -a-leg"

Have a great show...
Don

Will do, Don. Thank you very much!
paddy wrote:
Benji and Don answered for me and both are great performers. Please don't use Benji's last bit of advice. After seeing the thread about ignorance in the "off Topic" section some idiot might believe you. :lol:
Mazel Tov let us know how it goes, in fact post the show in the performace section.

Paddy

Sure thing. I hope it goes well.

Oh, I almost forgot. I was considering leaving about 10 of my business cards on each table. Do you think I should do that or do what Benji said?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:58 pm 
born to perform.

Duds if you want spin-off and repeat bookings then I suggest you use that advice...especially the one sentence when you're on stage.

You are running a business and that one line will help you more than you realize.

There is nothing wrong with leaving your business cards on the table but you have to bring people's attention to the fact that they can hire you. DONT LEAVE IT TO CHANCE

I will be doing a 45 minite presentation next Sunday for a construction company at $1900...50% already paid up front. Normally, I would not record the show just for the sake of showing forum members little marketing techniques on stage but I understand how it can come across as a "car salesman." So...I will record this event and show you exactly what to do on stage.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:03 pm 
born to perform.

And yes....Paddy might be right that someone might believe you sold your soul to the devil. So if they ask how you do it then say, "your mom taught me"

Disclaimer: Benji cannot be reponsible for any butt kickings the magician might receive or any emotional distress brought upon spectators.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:20 pm 
born to perform.

benji11 wrote:
Normally, I would not record the show just for the sake of showing forum members little marketing techniques on stage but I understand how it can come across as a "car salesman." So...I will record this event and show you exactly what to do on stage.

Cool. Looking forward to watching (and learning from) that.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:54 pm 
born to perform.

benji11 wrote:
Duds if you want spin-off and repeat bookings then I suggest you use that advice...especially the one sentence when you're on stage.

You are running a business and that one line will help you more than you realize.

There is nothing wrong with leaving your business cards on the table but you have to bring people's attention to the fact that they can hire you. DONT LEAVE IT TO CHANCE

I will be doing a 45 minite presentation next Sunday for a construction company at $1900...50% already paid up front. Normally, I would not record the show just for the sake of showing forum members little marketing techniques on stage but I understand how it can come across as a "car salesman." So...I will record this event and show you exactly what to do on stage.

$1900 for 45 minutes!? darn. I should be asking "why?" but something inside me is asking "why not?"

I'll be looking forward to that footage. Thanks!