View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Torn and restored newspaper
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:33 pm 
Penguin

Which one is the most impromptu and best out there?
For the torn and restored newspaper by joel bauex, can it be checked afterwards and does it uses any newspaper

Post subject: Re: Torn and restored newspaper
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 am 
born to perform.

Not sure about impromtu, but richard Osterlind's SIGNED T&R newspaper is very good and very practical. and you can hand it out immediately after the restoration.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:02 pm 
born to perform.

MagicFTW wrote:
Which one is the most impromptu and best out there?
For the torn and restored newspaper by joel bauex, can it be checked afterwards and does it uses any newspaper

Joel Bauer's Newspaper Tear can be done with any size newspaper, but cannot be examined afterward.

Soowee suggested Richard Osterlind's Signed Torn & Restored Newspaper. It can be given to the spectator who signed it at the end for a souvenir. I have both, and can attest that both are very good, and play extremely well. If you wish to hand the paper out after the effect, then Osterlind's would be a good choice.
It can be found on Mind Mysteries Volume 4.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 pm 

Is there any reason in particular that you want it to be examinable? This trend of "Can it be examined" has never made any sense to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:35 pm 
born to perform.

I agree exodus. The best example that springs to mind is "unripped". it is THE MOST complicated and gimmicked T&R I have ever come across, and the only advantage that I can see is that the spectators can examine the card half way through the restoration.

Sorry, a bit off topic.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:09 am 
born to perform.

I don't get this whole "Is it examinable?" thing either. As for newspaper tears, I only do Osterlind's in an intimate setting, where as giving a spectator a souvenir is fitting, and gives someone a moment of magic to remember the occasion.

I like to use Joel Bauer's tear when I have multiple shows on the same day, because the reset is instant.

My favorite however is Axel Hecklau's Newsflash paper tear. It's absolutely incredible, and the best $100.00 I've ever spent on magic.

Probably the best advice I have for MagicFTW is find a newspaper tear that you really like, and learn it well. Then (before you perform it for ANYBODY), really work on your presentation, patter and showmanship. If you do these things, the folks that you perform this for will be so amazed, that they won't care about examining the newspaper. Trust me. I'm speaking from experience!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:13 pm 
born to perform.

brisco wrote:
I don't get this whole "Is it examinable?" thing either. As for newspaper tears, I only do Osterlind's in an intimate setting, where as giving a spectator a souvenir is fitting, and gives someone a moment of magic to remember the occasion.

I like to use Joel Bauer's tear when I have multiple shows on the same day, because the reset is instant.

My favorite however is Axel Hecklau's Newsflash paper tear. It's absolutely incredible, and the best $100.00 I've ever spent on magic.

Probably the best advice I have for MagicFTW is find a newspaper tear that you really like, and learn it well. Then (before you perform it for ANYBODY), really work on your presentation, patter and showmanship. If you do these things, the folks that you perform this for will be so amazed, that they won't care about examining the newspaper. Trust me. I'm speaking from experience!

Excellent advice. I might have to look into the newsflash paper tear now!! what are the pros and cons compared with the others brisco?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:06 pm 
born to perform.

soowee wrote:

Excellent advice. I might have to look into the newsflash paper tear now!! what are the pros and cons compared with the others brisco?

Thanks for the kind words, soowee! Here is a review that I did of Newsflash sometime ago, with pros and cons at the end.If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!
Brian
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157174&p=1228238&hilit=newsflash+review#p1228238

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:18 am 
Penguin

Isn't it common to see audience wanting to examine this and that? If you could restore a newspaper they might think the newspaper is gimmicked, and not magical anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:20 pm 
born to perform.

MagicFTW wrote:
Isn't it common to see audience wanting to examine this and that? If you could restore a newspaper they might think the newspaper is gimmicked, and not magical anymore.

A lot of that depends on your presentation, and performance style along with your audience management abilities.

For example, if you come off as a wise guy, the audience will not only not like you, but suddenly what your doing isn't "magic", but rather puzzles. Puzzles are meant to be SOLVED! Therefore the audience will be more apt to try to solve the puzzle, rather than be ENTERTAINED by the effect. In other words, if you come off as cocky, abrasive and confrontational, your audience will believe that you feel yourself superior because you know something that they don't. People don't like to feel as if they are stupid. Therefore, they will take the offensive....not good!

You must get the audience on your side from the start, then they will be more receptive, and willing to take you at your word, thus eliminating suspicion of you and your magic. This makes for a much smoother performance for you, and an enjoyable magic experience for your audience.

The way I do this is to have a friendly, non-confrontational manner. I also make myself the object of a joke or two in the beginning of my show. This helps to relax the audience, and to show them that I don't take myself too seriously. That way, I come off as a "regular" guy, and that this magic stuff just kind of happens when I'm around.

Your presentation has a lot to do with having the audience take you at your word. What I mean by that is if your patter is littered with stammers and stutters, or sounds like you're searching for what to say, the audience can smell fear and incompetence, and like a wild animal.......some may attack!

You patter and speech should be clear, distinct and grammatically correct. By doing so, you'll have an appearance of confidence and professionalism, and that will only make you look more polished to your audience.

So the bottom line is this: The tricks or effects are only tools that magicians use. Sure it's important that you be able to do the mechanics of your tricks competently........but your first and foremost concern should be the overall ENTERTAINMENT value of you and your show.

I hope that this helps,
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:24 pm 

No, it's not common. When I'm working at a magic shop, I may have someone asking me if I'm using a normal pack of cards because there are gaff decks behind me, but I rarely get that in the real world. The problem is that when you make examination such an important thing, they're going to want to examine EVERYTHING. What happens when you're doing something that ends dirty? You're stuck. I never hand them something and say "Look at this and make sure it's normal". I hand them a pack of cards and say "Here, shuffle these" which indirectly says the same thing. The problem is that if you put importance on something, so will they. You want them to feel that the newspaper was a conduit for you to act on, not the item that actually did something. You're what did it, it just happened to the paper. If you put no importance on the paper, neither will they. If you're really worried about it, just take a duplicate paper, crumble and fold it to match the gaff, and switch it at the end, leaving it on the table, but not expressly saying "Here guys come take a look". If it seems that unimportant to you at the end, no one will want to look at it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:46 pm 
born to perform.

excellent advice again....I will second all that.

In fact, I'm reading Sankey's book "beyond secrets" at the moment and he talks a bit about this exact same thing.