View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Business Card
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:11 pm 
Penguin

Whats up guys,
What do you think of my business card? Would love some feedback.

Thanks,
Sean

Attachments:
Final Business Card.JPG
Final Business Card.JPG [ 79.73 KiB | Viewed 470 times ]

Post subject: Re: Business Card
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:56 pm 

well, the first thing I saw was the misspelling. It's MODELER not MODELOR. If someone can't spell his own job title, then...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:15 pm 
born to perform.

Paddy is right. Also no phone number is on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:39 pm 
Penguin

First off....paddy...
Modelor is spelt correctly. I have seen it spelt both ways and more commenly this way when it comes to this topic.
Second...
The phone number is not my main contact and I chose to leave it off the card.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:59 pm 
born to perform.

Honestly though, Sean, if you don't have a phone number on there, people will be a lot less likely to hire you, or even speak to you.

Also, "Modelor" is spelled wrong. I don't care if you've seen other people spell it like that, it's incorrect, and other people will interpret that as either laziness or lack of professionalism. (Not to mention that you're bad at your own job. As a graphic designer, spelling is one of the most prominent parts of the job. You can design the coolest thing ever for Wal*Mart, but if you put "Wall*Mart" on the card, people will laugh and hire someone else.

What annoys me most is that you asked for feedback and got defensive when you got it. This, once again, shows lack of professionalism.

As for the design of the card itself, it's not bad. Not the most impressive card I've seen, but I've definitely seen worse. There isn't really anything I would change about the look.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:45 am 
born to perform.

Sean if you only want to be contacted through email then that is fine. But having a phone number will increase the likelihood of people wanting to talk to you.

Now here is the problem...
Your card does not say anything special. It says "graphic designer" but I've met TONS of graphic designers so how do I know you're any good? And 3D Modelor (or however you guys want to spell it :) )...I have no idea how that can help me.

If you are a graphic designer then you better have one of the COOLEST cards ever. Which means that you better print your card with UV/Silk Laminated/Embossed/Die cut/etc; It better be so cool that when you hand it to me I think "wow, he knows what he is doing." Don't tell me how great of a graphic designer you are...show me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:57 am 
born to perform.

Okay, as a person that did graphic design for 4 years (even if only as a hobby) I want to say with all honesty - and not to sound rude although it will sound it - that is definitely not a professional business card. If you're a graphic designer, prove it with a good design on the card. To me, that could be done by a person using Photoshop for 1 week using tutorials. Now, I am sure it took more time than it looks as it often does but that is not an example I'd expect to see from a professional graphic designer. So with that being said, if you rework it with everybody's constructive criticism, then you can go along way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:13 am 
born to perform.

KrisDeagle wrote:
Okay, as a person that did graphic design for 4 years (even if only as a hobby) I want to say with all honesty - and not to sound rude although it will sound it - that is definitely not a professional business card. If you're a graphic designer, prove it with a good design on the card. To me, that could be done by a person using Photoshop for 1 week using tutorials. Now, I am sure it took more time than it looks as it often does but that is not an example I'd expect to see from a professional graphic designer. So with that being said, if you rework it with everybody's constructive criticism, then you can go along way.

i agree with KrisDeagle 100%

I'm not a graphic designer but i work in architecture and have the degree and actually do 3d modeling and rendering. And this card does look like it could be done with someone with limited photoshop knowledge, or some web template. If you had gone to to university or other places to learn graphic design then i think this card should of looked way better.

- No real integration with the text and the background. Its like you got a cool image, and just added text to it.
- No phone number
- Spelling is Wrong (unless your country spells it that way)
- I'm not so convince you 3d modeled that background image, why would you put a stone texture on what looks like a steel or futuristic gear. And what on earth is that block on the bottom? What is it? And the rendering appears to be faceted and low poly count. It should look better.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:49 am 
born to perform.

If you are doing this just for a few bucks on the side while at university ... great card.

If you are doing this to start up a long-term business (even if just on the side), then get a real e-mail account. Your card says "I'm a student who will work for cheap, quality may or may not be an issue." Unless you plan on staying at your university forever, you will need a new e-mail someday. If you give me your card today, and I try to get a hold of you next year, it might not be valid anymore. Lost contract. Furthermore, a graphic designer who does not have his/her own website in this modern age is probably not very professional. Considering that your only contact is by e-mail, a website is mandatory.

(helpful post #57)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:50 pm 

I looked up your college, it is in New York State, Ergo "Modeloir" is spelled WRONG. Also the college has only 3 majors, Aircraft maintenance, education, and business. Where did you learn 3d modeling, which is an engineering function? just some queries the card brings out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:03 pm 
Penguin

Thanks guys for the responses. Of course this is not the final product as you can tell by the email address. It was one of my final projects for a class this semester. Just wanted some feedback based on what I have created so far. All of those elements were created using Maya, a software used to create various movies such as Shrek, terminator, and how to train a dragon (basically any animation movie besides pixar releases) then touched up in photoshop.

and patty...
http://www.dowling.edu/school-arts-scie ... helor.shtm

Thanks Guys,
Sean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:44 am 

OK I see the schoo, of design and digital science. Didn't see it before and was just raising the question. You still misspelled the word