View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Super Sharpie or Reg. Swami
Super Sharpie 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Lead Swami 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
None 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Super Sharpie or Regular lead swami?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:04 pm 
Penguin

Which do you prefer/ do you think i should get? Feel free to explain why you chose either one. Also, if you think i should just get a regular lead swami, any suggestions as to which one to get? Thanks a lot!
-Ben

Post subject: Re: Super Sharpie or Regular lead swami?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:31 pm 
born to perform.

IMHO... Get both and also get the Xpert. A good plan is to get a swami along with Thirteen Steps to Mentalism. Read and practice, read and practice, read and practice then pick up the Super Sharpie and the Xpert when you are able.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:57 pm 
Penguin

Well it all depends on what you are using it for- close up or stage. For stage, hands down get a swami, I prefer the TT Swami because it requires less prep. In close up situations its nice to have the super sharpie because it hides so nicely, but it is not as easy to take on and off. In the end you want to have them both anyway, so get the one you will be using first and then get the other later.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:07 am 
born to perform.

Actually, yes... 'What edrezin says. And there are a few more magi who have chimed in on this subject; http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 9&forum=15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:35 am 
born to perform.

edrezin wrote:
Well it all depends on what you are using it for- close up or stage. For stage, hands down get a swami, I prefer the TT Swami because it requires less prep. In close up situations its nice to have the super sharpie because it hides so nicely, but it is not as easy to take on and off. In the end you want to have them both anyway, so get the one you will be using first and then get the other later.

For stage get the swami? Are you serious? Have you actually done a trick with a swami on stage? Even the front row will squint trying to read what you put down. Super sharpie makes so much more sense on stage. And the regular flesh coloured swami hides so much easier than the black super sharpie.
Jessicamagic, if you are new to mentalism and just learning to try things out for the first time; I recommend just getting your every day lead swami gimmick. Come up with some ideas and start performing to friends. If it goes well and you enjoy using it, then have a think about investing in a super sharpie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:21 pm 
born to perform.

revelation77 wrote:
edrezin wrote:

For stage get the swami? Are you serious? Have you actually done a trick with a swami on stage? Even the front row will squint trying to read what you put down. Super sharpie makes so much more sense on stage. And the regular flesh coloured swami hides so much easier than the black super sharpie.
Jessicamagic, if you are new to mentalism and just learning to try things out for the first time; I recommend just getting your every day lead swami gimmick. Come up with some ideas and start performing to friends. If it goes well and you enjoy using it, then have a think about investing in a super sharpie.

I've seen a mentalist use one on stage... now granted he had a camera which projected on a screen behind him, but it has been done before. I saw a clip online of someone who used one on stage w/o a camera. he had one audience member blind folded and given earplugs. The revelation was announced he handed her the card to read out loud (after she took off the stuff which prevented her from hearing the answer) and she confirmed it for the rest of the audience

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:22 pm 
born to perform.

There is nothing wrong with using a pencil swami on stage. I do it all the time.

Visibility is not the key to having a strong effect with a swami. The key is to focus on the reaction of the spectator. The person on stage should be reading what you wrote down and you need to amplify his/her reaction.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:16 am 
born to perform.

benji11 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with using a pencil swami on stage. I do it all the time.

Visibility is not the key to having a strong effect with a swami. The key is to focus on the reaction of the spectator. The person on stage should be reading what you wrote down and you need to amplify his/her reaction.

Very true..............

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:05 am 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:

Exactly!... either way with a sharpie or a pencil the reaction from the person on stage is what sells it to the rest of the audience.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:08 pm 
Penguin

Either or. Both are good and have their place.