View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:12 pm 

chrisberney wrote:
Do you have to get a business license or permit to perform on the street?

The laws vary from city to city and state to state in the U.S. It is far easier to beg forgiveness than get permission. So if you have a show, go set up and perform, if the cops tell you that it isn't allowed just say "oops sorry" and move your butt out of there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the info./advice.

Post subject: Re: Questions about busking
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:06 pm 
born to perform.

Ask whoever owns the area of where you want to busk if you need a permit or anything.

The City of San Diego out here says that busking is not allowed anywhere, and yet, Balboa Park allows it on their premises- it's a hassle to find out and do it.

As much as I support theambitiouscard.com, I got my table for a WHOLE lot cheaper. Order a restaurant tray stand online, then find a woodshop and ask them to make you a table top. I got all of this for probably a little over 100. The table top is BEAUTIFUL and I have no complaints about my set up, it works fine!

Nice plug George ;)

Nice plug Don ;)

Get Cellini stuff, it's GOLD- stick with Cellini (but we won't get into that now will we?)

I'm 17 and have been busking for 2 years- just GETTING OUT THERE with an outline of a routine if the first step. THEN I formed my show. I had a few tricks I know I wanted to do, I scripted it out a bit, but then workshopping is being out on the street! Your routine will change SEVERAL times throughout... lord knows my show is so much better than when I started, but it's also MUCH different.

Listen to the older people here though, they know their stuff. Don is the nicest person ever- USE HIM....FOR ADVICE! He is the sole reason I am who I am as a busker today, the man has a heart of gold and cares about every single new magician (well... almost). George is incredible, just watch his stuff. I know JimmyTalksaLot pretty well- and he's GOOD. George is EVEN BETTER! (his words George, not mine). Listen to these people and you should do fine.

There is a stigma about a kid performing though in public. Be safe and bring a friend if need be- I know when I started I had one. DO NOT use Gazzo-esque jokes, use age appropriate jokes that fit you... not someone else.

Be yourself, have fun, SCRIPT OUT YOUR SHOW, and you'll do fine.

-Jeff T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:45 pm 

Guardian452 wrote
Quote:
Order a restaurant tray stand online, then find a woodshop and ask them to make you a table top. I got all of this for probably a little over 100. The table top is BEAUTIFUL and I have no complaints about my set up, it works fine!
Why go to that expense? Get the tray stand, About $25 then go to Home Depot and get a 12" x 24" long shelf (about $4) then run a piece of thin board around 3 edges to catch any balls that may roll off and for less than $40 you on and busking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:38 am 
born to perform.

You know what Paddy.... I'm gonna say it here.

I'm sick and tired of you being "helpful" and offering "really good advice that saves time and money for young aspiring magicians." OK? Can you just PLEASE stop being really helpful and logical?

P.S..... That's a really good idea Paddy.... I wish I knew of that when I started out....

Don- You shush old man ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:06 pm 

Guardian452, this should really urinate you off. I just received Jimmy Talksalot lecture notes and they are worth a LOT more than what they cost. he not only teaches you how to structure your show he teaches you how to busk, and survive, in a small town. Everybody is getting their Brassieres in a bunch about busking may not be legal where you are. Jimmy works out of his pocket, no table. This way the show can be from 3 minutes to 30 minutes. I am rewriting my show based on Jimmy's methods now and will be ready to hit the streets after New Years. Yes I am going to take it on the road to Texas and AZ for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:33 pm 
Penguin

Jeff, (Guardian452) is doing great.He inrolled at N.Y.U. this year in New York City.Hes busking at Washington Square on weekends next to the college and had some big hats.He went to visit Houdini grave last week and took photos.Don't know how to download them here or I would share.

Don

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:54 pm 
born to perform.

^Ask your local city or whoever owns the property that you want to street perform on