View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: which cups?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:57 am 

Remember, like many others they're only Paul Fox "style." They're most likely lightweight imports that only resemble the shape.

At that price I guarantee they're not going to be as good as the real thing. Most likely a step up from Uday or Bazar de Magia, but your Penguin cups are probably heavier. Since they're probably popped out on a machine, the stacking might be a bit better though. You don't want them to nest so tightly that they don't separate easily. Some gap is purposely designed in to the better cups.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:00 am 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
Remember, like many others they're only Paul Fox "style." They're most likely lightweight imports that only resemble the shape.

At that price I guarantee they're not going to be as good as the real thing. Most likely a step up from Uday or Bazar de Magia, but your Penguin cups are probably heavier. Since they're probably popped out on a machine, the stacking might be a bit better though. You don't want them to nest so tightly that they don't separate easily. Some gap is purposely designed in to the better cups.

Yeah, until I can afford to buy the Johnson Cups those Paul Fox Style cups will probably be better than my Penguin Cups and look a lot better, I'd actually prefer them to be lighter as long as they don't warp that is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:40 am 

DaveV wrote:
paddy wrote:
Yes, the "new owner" is his daughter, she owns it in name only. They changed the name to "RNT2"

I don't know why the date shows this year. What you're talking about with his daughter and the name change happened several years ago. They don't even own the company anymore.

Don Buckley bought the name and the equipment over a year and a half ago and moved the entire operation to Lakewood, OH. It's a whole new RNT2 than what it used to be. The quality is as high as ever (never an issue, even with the previous owners) and the business is running smoothly again.

I'll take your word Dave. I was one of those that, thankfully, used Paypal and got my money back after a lot of yelling and cursing. That's why I am so adamant against them, bad memories.

Paddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:48 am 

Yeah, I know what you mean. It was tough there for a while. I bought a few things through Jake's daughter, basically because they were the only game in town. Except for a booklet promised with a cup set I ordered, they eventually came through with everything I asked for but it did take a while. Looks like the situation is much better now that Don's in control.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:58 am 
born to perform.

Well I just found out that those Paul Fox Style cups aren't all that good, so it looks like I won't be getting them anytime soon and I might need to go ahead and buy those Johnson cups but one thing I'd like to ask before I shell out the $350 for them is:

Do they nest together as good as they claim to be?

What is the biggest thing you can fit into them?

I hope to hear back from somebody soon and hope your holidays was as good as mine ;)

Sincerely,

KingOfNynex2003

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:31 am 

KingOfNynex2003 wrote:
Well I just found out that those Paul Fox Style cups aren't all that good, so it looks like I won't be getting them anytime soon and I might need to go ahead and buy those Johnson cups but one thing I'd like to ask before I shell out the $350 for them is:

Do they nest together as good as they claim to be?

YES!! GREAT NESTING

What is the biggest thing you can fit into them?

DEPENDS ON THE STYLE YOU GET

I hope to hear back from somebody soon and hope your holidays was as good as mine ;)

Sincerely,

KingOfNynex2003

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:36 pm 

Paddy, I think he decided on the Johnsons, and as far as I know there's only one size.

Having said that, Johnson cups are pretty much "standard" size which means rather small compared to Gazzos and many of the RNT2 offerings. Tennis ball? No. Rubber Lacrosse ball? Yes. Fruit? Medium size Orange? No. Lemon? Probably, depending on the lemon itself. Kiwi, Plum, Mandarin Orange? Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:26 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
Paddy, I think he decided on the Johnsons, and as far as I know there's only one size.

Having said that, Johnson cups are pretty much "standard" size which means rather small compared to Gazzos and many of the RNT2 offerings. Tennis ball? No. Rubber Lacrosse ball? Yes. Fruit? Medium size Orange? No. Lemon? Probably, depending on the lemon itself. Kiwi, Plum, Mandarin Orange? Yes.

Thanks Dave,

Now what would be a good cup to get that can fit all of the above that you described? I want to be able to put in these things:

Lacrosse Ball

Tennis Ball

Baseball

and maybe a Billiard Ball

I know the last 2 are fairly small but I want to be able to fit a tennis ball in nicely without having to worry about it making a noise when I try to load it in there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:11 am 

Baseball is the largest of what you listed, and billiard ball the smallest.

If you want something that will fit them all, you'll need Gary Animal "Babes" or larger. They'll set you back at least $300 as the material used is much more than the smaller cups.

Your best bet is to go to www.cupsandballsmuseum.com and ask for a password to browse the listings there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:03 am 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
Baseball is the largest of what you listed, and billiard ball the smallest.

If you want something that will fit them all, you'll need Gary Animal "Babes" or larger. They'll set you back at least $300 as the material used is much more than the smaller cups.

Your best bet is to go to http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com and ask for a password to browse the listings there.

Thanks Dave, I actually just got a password for that website and I think I remember seeing those cups on there, I don't remember though because of the fact that I saw over 1000 cups on that website.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:15 am 

DaveV wrote:

You're right, I screwed up. I've had mine for about 15 yrs so I haven't looked at any ads and just popped off with that response. When I was in Gazzo's masterclass a few years ago we used his cups and I still prefer the Johnson. They are both top quality but Johnson seems to fit my hands better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:35 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
DaveV wrote:

You're right, I screwed up. I've had mine for about 15 yrs so I haven't looked at any ads and just popped off with that response. When I was in Gazzo's masterclass a few years ago we used his cups and I still prefer the Johnson. They are both top quality but Johnson seems to fit my hands better.

Would you say your hand size is small medium or large? I have pretty large hands, I can classic palm a Peace Dollar and not arch my hands all that much so I'm thinking about getting these cups: http://www.rnt2.com/index.php?target=pr ... t_id=30281 I've heard from some of my friends who perform the C&B on a regular basis that if I want to have a baseball as my final load these cups are the way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:46 pm 

Those cups are nice... and really big! They'll almost take a softball load. My hands are size 10 and I used to have cups almost that big. I gave up on them because it was too easy to "flash" a palmed ball when opening my hands wide enough to pick up the cup. I've reduced size even smaller than baseball down to tennis ball size and I'm much happier.

For the price and size, the Phoenix II would be the one I'd go with. It's heavy copper (probably nearly double the thickness of a standard cup) and the saddle is big enough to balance three 1" balls comfortably on top and still nest cleanly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:51 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
Those cups are nice... and really big! They'll almost take a softball load. My hands are size 10 and I used to have cups almost that big. I gave up on them because it was too easy to "flash" a palmed ball when opening my hands wide enough to pick up the cup. I've reduced size even smaller than baseball down to tennis ball size and I'm much happier.

For the price and size, the Phoenix II would be the one I'd go with. It's heavy copper (probably nearly double the thickness of a standard cup) and the saddle is big enough to balance three 1" balls comfortably on top and still nest cleanly.

That is one reason I'm going to be using my Servante I bought from Dean Dill, it's fun to use and makes loading my final loads into the cups that much easier, and the move is less because you don't need to fish around your pockets for the final loads.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:22 pm 
born to perform.

Try contacting Gary Animal. If I remember he was moving a while back but he should be settled now. Give him a call and explain what you are looking for and what you have to spend. I was in a pinch for cash at one point but needed replacement cups. He hooked me up with some love cup seconds at a great price. Dont let seconds fool you. I own "better sets" of cups then these but if given the choice I would use Garys every time.

As always,
Dylan