View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: where is a good place to actually perform for stranger?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:36 am 

thomas11_2000 WROTE
Quote:
I tried many restaurant in w4st but they rejected me.
Get used to being rejected when auditioning it's a fact of life for us.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:24 pm 
born to perform.

Sometimes when I practice coin rolling while riding a bus or a train I'll catch someone glimpsing at me and if I'm in the ready mood I'll ask him\her\it* if they want to see something and then I'll do an impromptu routine or w\e.

*sometimes I perform coin vanishes for people's dogs, that way the person laughs at the dog's reaction and feels like he's in on the trick, it's also a great way to "break the ice" if you're going to perform for someone you don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:08 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
thomas11_2000 WROTE
Quote:
I tried many restaurant in w4st but they rejected me.
Get used to being rejected when auditioning it's a fact of life for us.

absolutely agree, thing doesn't go well at beginning, most of the time..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:09 pm 
Penguin

daniel116 wrote:
Sometimes when I practice coin rolling while riding a bus or a train I'll catch someone glimpsing at me and if I'm in the ready mood I'll ask him\her\it* if they want to see something and then I'll do an impromptu routine or w\e.

*sometimes I perform coin vanishes for people's dogs, that way the person laughs at the dog's reaction and feels like he's in on the trick, it's also a great way to "break the ice" if you're going to perform for someone you don't know.

you seems very entertaining. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:12 pm 
born to perform.

Number one answer is... Just about ANYWHERE THAT PEOPLE ARE WAITING!

Bus stops/stations
Airports
Waiting rooms
Nightclub entrances
Cafes
Movie theaters

Other ideas;
Churches after services end
Senior homes
Schools/Colleges

Obviously each location will need certain discretions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:06 am 
born to perform.

IN the hospital idea, I use to be a house surgeon in the hospital I worked in and I did quite a few effects during dead time, i.e. waiting for theatre, waiting for consultants, etc etc. and sometimes I even do effects for patients during my rounds (ONLY when its quiet and not busy!!!). my patients love it. something to talk about for the day, and cheers them up during a tough time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:28 pm 
born to perform.

I would think that if you plan on practicing in hospitals, be VERY careful about who you choose to show effects to. People who may not look like they are in pain, in turmoil or whatever, may actually be the worst people to approach.

I had a broken finger recently (the summer), and while in the waiting room of the ER (before you get called over to get X-rays and stuff) was in a lot of pain. If anybody were to have approached me at that time (me looking pretty much normal despite a swollen finger which can be easily overlooked), I would not have been receptive to them at all. That's despite me being a magician myself.

That being said, if you politely ask them if they'd like to see some magic, then you give them the option to either decline or accept. Be very ready to face a lot of rejection. The people in the ER are there for a reason, and most often it is a very bad reason to be there. So be careful, and do not care about somebody telling you to go away.

Now, in the case that you plan on practicing in restaurants, bars, etc., I really hope that you've practiced routines and patter at the very least to get your presentation up to par. DVDs like "Live at the Jailhouse" are essential for someone beginning in this field. Performing at a restaurant or bar isn't as easy as simply walking up to someone and showing them one or two, non-routined effects. You are a reflection on the restaurant itself, and if you give a bad performance, you may lose business for the restaurant.

You've been warned previously in this thread to be prepared for rejection, and it seems that you've already faced some. So it is a good thing that you're going out there and trying your best to get a gig. However, as I've already said here, be VERY prepared with your magic, and be VERY prepared to perform even when you do not want to. It will be necessary for you to keep going down this path.

Hopefully some of what I've said is helpful, then again, it might not be. I'm just trying to make sure you're fully prepared before you go out and practice on real spectators. Good luck, I hope you do well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:45 pm 
Penguin

Obviously the ER wouldn't be the place to go. I feel I went over chosing whom to perform for and consulting the staff, but it's probably good to have it pointed out one more time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:00 pm 

I took my wife to the E.R. once, right after a show. In the next room there was a child just screaming in pain. I stepped to the door and started to do smoe effects, the doctor told me to come in and keep performing which I did. The little guy had an ear infection and the doctor had to clean the gunk out of his ear and then give him a shot. My wife got moved to the head of the line after that and the staff asked me to show them some effects. Still cost me a BUNCH of money but the wife is worth that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:08 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
I took my wife to the E.R. once, right after a show. In the next room there was a child just screaming in pain. I stepped to the door and started to do smoe effects, the doctor told me to come in and keep performing which I did. The little guy had an ear infection and the doctor had to clean the gunk out of his ear and then give him a shot. My wife got moved to the head of the line after that and the staff asked me to show them some effects. Still cost me a BUNCH of money but the wife is worth that.

That was really nice of you, distracting that poor child while the doctor could do his thing!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:07 pm 
born to perform.

EXCELLENT PADDY!

Yes, every potential location is going to have discretions to be considered.

Regarding the ER/hospital, there are also people waiting for friends and loved ones to be finished with their treatment or surgery and they are half bored or anxious. A time for them to be entertained, encouraged etc. could make for a beneficial moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:09 pm 
Penguin

EZrhythm wrote:
EXCELLENT PADDY!

Yes, every potential location is going to have discretions to be considered.

Regarding the ER/hospital, there are also people waiting for friends and loved ones to be finished with their treatment or surgery and they are half bored or anxious. A time for them to be entertained, encouraged etc. could make for a beneficial moment.

so true, use the power for good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:27 am 
born to perform.

that's awesome Paddy. great to hear.

As I said earlier, I was a house surgeon, i.e. intern there. So its' different for me. I'm actually staff, not a random person going there performing. But yes, ER would be an extremely busy place to go, might not be a good idea. I can't really comment as it was different for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:18 am 
born to perform.

A retired magician who volunteers to entertain patients in nursing homes and hospitals went to Maimonides Hospital in Brooklyn. He told some jokes and performed magic tricks at patients' bedsides. When he finished he said, in farewell, "I hope you get better." One elderly gentleman replied, "I hope you get better, too."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:42 am 
born to perform.

EZrhythm wrote:
A retired magician who volunteers to entertain patients in nursing homes and hospitals went to Maimonides Hospital in Brooklyn. He told some jokes and performed magic tricks at patients' bedsides. When he finished he said, in farewell, "I hope you get better." One elderly gentleman replied, "I hope you get better, too."

ROTFLMAO!!!!! :lol: