View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to be creative
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:42 pm 
Penguin

can someone give me advice on how to create tricks and ideas that are new. how does it come about?

Post subject: Re: How to be creative
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:00 pm 
Penguin

Creativity is as much a character trait as it is something you can get good at. Some people like Calen Morelli, Jay Sankey, and like a million other magicians are born with it. You can tell that they are very creative just by the things they have dreamed up. But not only are they creative.... They study! After studying magic for years and years, you are bound to come up with something creative, right? So remember to learn and study, and after a while, you will be dreaming up your own tricks. The way I try to dream up a trick is to think of something that is impossible to do. After that, think of ways you can make it possible. =)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:42 pm 
Penguin

i have 100rds of thinks i thought of but just dont know how to do them or think of a logical way to do them

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:08 am 
Penguin

try and have a look in this thread: http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159441

I made a rather long entry that might be helpful to you

-Widding

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:53 pm 
born to perform.

Another way to induce creativity is to think of methods to mix together in a routine.
For instance, take a self working card effect and add a gaff or sleight in to give it extra WOW.
Look at an effect that is usually performed all in the magician's hands and think of way that the spectator could be hands on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:48 am 
born to perform.

just let it come naturally, its diffrent for everyone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:01 pm 
born to perform.

alcohol can - but shouldn't - play a role.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:38 am 
born to perform.

KingoftheKards wrote:
i have 100rds of thinks i thought of but just dont know how to do them or think of a logical way to do them

Like a musician, the more ways he can play his instrument, the more ways he can express his ideas. Learning all you can about a subject certainly helps.
Another way is to take the specific subject of interest whether it be cards, coins or other props and watch others perform with these. Then turn everything off and sit in a quiet non-distracting place and see what comes to mind.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:18 pm 
Penguin

Truthfully, creativity is just combining old ideas in new ways. I invented a magic trick called AI, in which pieces of a robot are put together, at which point, they get up, walk around, then disassemble themselves to reveal a human underneath.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:07 pm 
born to perform.

Daniel Sylvester (widely considered to be one of the most creative and inventive magicians around) actualy wrote a manuscript on the subject. You can find it on his website http://sylvesterthejester.com/#

As always,
Dylan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:11 am 
Penguin

I have tons of ideas i just dont know how to make them really happen please help me! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:39 pm 
Penguin

arcticflake wrote:
I have tons of ideas i just dont know how to make them really happen please help me! :wink:

You are welcome to PM me some of your ideas, and I will help you brainstorm :)

-Widding

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:12 pm 
Penguin

become poor!
and keep doing magic!
but really dont buy anymagic books dvds or tricks! for a whole year or two
and youll find a new idea pop into your head when your out on the town!
live life!
start with the idea than create a method!
or start with the method than create the idea!
that should get you started!
good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:13 am 
Penguin

Hmm....I'm not sure being creative is something you can teach. I was born with mine. But the best advice I could give would be like one other guy said....think of something that is impossible, and then sit and think of ways you can create the illusion of it looking possible. Sometimes when I come up with a creative idea I will sit or lay down and just think. No tv on, no music, just silence and I will think about it for sometimes an hour or two at a time. And maybe the next day I'll start thinking about it again and trying to work the pieces out in my head like a puzzle slowly coming together. Sometimes it will take me weeks of thinking about the idea off and on when I have the time until I have the breakthrough where all the pieces fall in place. Sometimes it may help you to write down the things you start to unravel in your head. For me....I just keep it all in my head until I have a finished idea and THEN I'll draw pictures or describe the full idea out on paper or in the computer. The key is you have to THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. And find time to just sit in silence and just think, think, and think some more. And you need to enjoy thinking about ideas to yourself. If you don't enjoy thinking, then you'll never create anything. Also on a side note....I have always been a creative thinker, but only till recently have I begun to get into magic. After buying some awesome effects and really seeing the secrets behind them, it has really opened my mind to the deceptive qualities magic tricks have. An understanding that you can make the impossible happen...you just have to find a way make it LOOK like the impossible is happening. The more magic I learn, the more it opens my mind to new ideas. And I don't mean stealing someones trick, but sometimes I get insperation from the secrets I learn, and a lot of times I get insperation from tricks I see without even knowing the secret, but think of a similar trick using an entirely different item and a different method. I don't have any tricks out there yet, but I have like 9 tricks that I have come up with in my head. Some that are finished in my head and I just need to create them and market them. Some that I havn't quite figured out fully yet, but I know I will. The more I think about an idea....eventually I will have a breakthrough. Just think think, and think some more. That's the key. Oh and make sure to think outside the box!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 am 
Penguin

It's no secret that one of the biggest creators in magic was a major drug addict when he invented all those fantastic tricks. I am of course speaking of PH. He's been clean (supposedly) for several years now; then again he hasn't invented anything in years either. He just slaps his good name on other peoples products and collects royalties.

Make sure you get yourself a copy of the TRICK BRAIN by Daryl Fitzkee (sp?), it's the magic inventor's bible.

There are TONS of books on creativity over on Amazon, I would highly recommend CRACKING CREATIVITY, it's the biggie on the subject and has been for 15 years or so.

Lastly, go over to Google groups and type in 'Magic Inventor's Principles'. This list was first published in alt.magic.secrets about 10 years ago. As an inventor you cannot live without this list...and it's 100% free!