View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wizard Product Review Show
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:32 pm 
born to perform.

Hmmm the wizard show i enjoy but its slowly losing credibility for me for several reasons.

- They give very good reviews to whatever happens to be on sale at the Wizards store. (however i would agree that those items have actually been good)
- X-Ray deck by ben harris, i didnt like it. Its not really a worker's effect. More like a magician fooler. I'm not using it at all.
- They gave Psypher such a bad review. DVD was bad but the trick is good
- They gave Dan Hauss's Restless set a good review (really? come on)
- They gave Modern Mentalism a good review. (come on david penn, did u really like the bendy coffee stick thing, really?)
- It often appears that they dont know who's dvd they are reviewing or who the magicians who have put out those dvds. (dunno how much of this is an act)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04 pm 
Verified VIP

keepitbottled wrote:
Hmmm the wizard show i enjoy but its slowly losing credibility for me for several reasons.

- They give very good reviews to whatever happens to be on sale at the Wizards store. (however i would agree that those items have actually been good)
- X-Ray deck by ben harris, i didnt like it. Its not really a worker's effect. More like a magician fooler. I'm not using it at all.
- They gave Psypher such a bad review. DVD was bad but the trick is good
- They gave Dan Hauss's Restless set a good review (really? come on)
- They gave Modern Mentalism a good review. (come on david penn, did u really like the bendy coffee stick thing, really?)
- It often appears that they dont know who's dvd they are reviewing or who the magicians who have put out those dvds. (dunno how much of this is an act)

Thanks for your comments - let's take them one at a time.

1.) Everything we review is for sale on the site. The only critera for review is that we can sell it. Even cack like Real Floating Card is for sale on the site. If an item is good we don't want to disappoint our customers by not having it available

2.) All the Wizard Product Review is at the end of the day is two blokes sitting down chatting about tricks. It's only our opinion it doesn't make it right! The only thing that we promise is that will not be afraid to rip a product if we don't like it. Psypher is an example of that - I hated it, a lot of you didn't fair enough - it's only my opinion. But how I can lose credibility for being honest I don't know.

3.) Restless was reviewed on our first ever show. How we can lose credibility for something we reviewed on our first show I have no idea. Plus I kinda liked that DVD set.

4) I have ripped Paper Crane in the past more than once and feel they are responsible for some total rubbish hitting the Market in the last year. However in the case of this DVD set I liked it. Yes there is some filler and it would have been better off being one DVD but the good material on there more than made up for it. The finger effect and PS I love you routine have gone straight into my act. A lot of the material is simple which makes it perfect for a beginner but I really feel the material is great for a professional mentalist as well. Yeah you could be a snob and say that the material is too simple for a pro but I think that simple is sometimes the best way to go.

At the end of the day The Wizard Product Review is only Dave's and my opinion - it doesn't make it right. Most people generally agree with us but not always. I remember facing an onslaught after I ripped Psypher (ironically a Paper Crane Product) and there was even one guy who threatened to beat me up after I ripped ifloat!!!!

You can say what you want about Dave and I but since we started this show we have had death threats, threats of physical violence, several cases of people threatening legal action and loads of emails that you wouldn't believe if I showed you. All because we stuck by our guns and didn't back down from saying something is bad if we think it's bad. You may disagree with our view, you may think we are controversial but the one thing we are not is in anyone else's pocket. If it's cack we say so!

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:12 pm 
Verified VIP

By the way if you don't know what we are talking about, this is a link to this weeks show -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or4cHfFeW_4

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:21 pm 
Penguin

I really like those reviews! I will go subscribe now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:24 pm 
born to perform.

Well I love watching you guys! A really great show this week! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:11 pm 
Penguin

Was there a deliberate decision to drop Trash of the Week? Seems like there's frequently been candidates for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:17 pm 
born to perform.

Just purchased The Gathering, that looks REALLY good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:15 pm 
Penguin

Akirafist, I'll be looking forward to your review. Let us know how you get on with the issue of apparently being able to use only thin rings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:16 pm 
Verified VIP

Webhed wrote:
Akirafist, I'll be looking forward to your review. Let us know how you get on with the issue of apparently being able to use only thin rings.

Jamie has suggested you can use a spectators keyfob and key from their letting if there is not a ring available. I think this is a great idea, it allows me to do keymaster and then tell them I'm going to do something with their keys.

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:19 pm 
Verified VIP

BathTub wrote:
Was there a deliberate decision to drop Trash of the Week? Seems like there's frequently been candidates for it.

It has gone temporarily but will be back in a slightly new format. We want to actually do a doorstep challenge on creators that release a trashy product. We are just working on the format but will unveil it soon. You have to keep evolving to keep fresh!

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:24 pm 
Verified VIP

dckb wrote:
mcdog474 wrote:
I think Matt Mello or Penguin should pay you guys commission because I just ordered Modern Mentalism based on the WPR review of it.

I cant tell you how many items i've ordered because of their reviews! they rock. I would love to see a vid of Craig approach Berglass and be like "yo check this out..." then proceed to freak Berglass out with mellos ACAN and just walk away! hahaha that would be awsome. cheers

DC

Watch Next weeks show to find out what happened when I challenged Berglass at the Session (and I did challenge him!)

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:58 pm 
born to perform.

magiccraig2000 wrote:
Jamie has suggested you can use a spectators keyfob and key from their letting if there is not a ring available. I think this is a great idea, it allows me to do keymaster and then tell them I'm going to do something with their keys.

I can grab a cheap fob from the local store, jam Keymaster's starting key + 2 extras for Flexion. If the spectator doesn't have a ring (or it's too big), I'll have them examine the keys then perform both of those effects. Sounds fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:57 pm 
Penguin

That's a good alternative, I definitely think most key-rings would fit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:13 pm 
Penguin

That would be good if you could leave the keys on the ring and have the entire lot hanging from the card.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:08 am 
Verified VIP

Webhed wrote:
That would be good if you could leave the keys on the ring and have the entire lot hanging from the card.

You can. I just tried it. Jamie told me about it half an hour ago and I can do it already!!!

Craig

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next