View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Direct practical deck switch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:13 am 
born to perform.

Jay Scott Berry also has very nice topits and DVDs available.
I've seen him demonstrate it live at his seminar including his sleeve pockets.
One won't go wrong considering these.
Penguin carries the DVD; http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S4415
...and the Sleeve Pockets; http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S2835
Jay Scott Berry's site has his topit; http://www.jayscottberry.com/Ecom/topits.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 pm 
born to perform.

hooooooooo kayyyy

so basicaly this fus is over a deck memorisation trick. The method In the dvd uses a large packet switch while a notepad is being used. I basically figured if i was going to switch half the deck anyway I may as well just do the whole thing. Also I didn't want to bring out a notepad. So I need some time, a moment for the switch to happen. Now I think Ihave my moment.

Basically I'll have the deck shuffled and cut by the spec and then returned. I'll then force a card, riffle through the faces to "see which one is missing." Now as I'm thinking about which card I didn't see this is my moment for the switch. I could almost envision pocketing the deck at this stage and bringing it out again but I'm not sure I want to be that cheeky.

Even so this will be my moment to switch in my memorised deck for the next phase. So yeah topit may be my answer anyway but since I can probably draw attention away from the deck I may be able to do something without it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:58 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah...you could totally go to the pocket switch. You will need the moment of misdirection anyway with a toppit. You ar not doing some crazy Michael Ammar deck vanish move here so doing a reverse pitch will look funny. The move is justified with a vanish because it is supposed to look like you slap the hands together and poof...the deck is gone. Why would you make such a grand motion in your situation? I can't see a reason. So therefore, you will need misdirection anyway. Its just all down to pro-con. In this case the toppit will work on the principle of "In frame out of fucus" as opposed to an "Out of Frame" and or "Justified" reason to go to the pocket. If you can justify the reach to the pocket or you can misdirect so much that the pocket move is completly out of the spectators line of sight then the ol pocket switch should do just fine.

If you are looking for a fully in the hands deck switch that doesn't use a Toppit you have your work cut out for you. You will need to be able to fully palm a deck at some point and there will still be a moment where you need to justify or misdirect a move to and from a pocket or a deck dropper.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:10 pm 
born to perform.

EZrhythm wrote:
So performing a deck vanish and having it re-appear (stacked deck) isn't feasible?

HA, I had an idea earlier, glad you are back to it. If you don't desire to palm a deck a silk or a wallet make for excellent covers when performing a vanish/switch. Create a reason or add a phase to bring one in to play.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:57 am 
Penguin

Why be difficult, create an excuse that has nothing to do with switching the deck, for reaching into your pocket. Many tricks are designed around this idea. (I'm gona reach for my magic pen ''drops spongeball into pocket'')? I mean you can be fancy and all that to if you like. I think there is a sleeving mechanism for switching decks.